P500 Mighty P500 Build

Lee's Garage Index:

Forgot to leave a blank thread for the index so I'm hijacking the intro.

Index

• New vehicle prep #2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
  • Planning and other thinking #12
  • Tire pressure #16
  • Winch / plow mount #17, 18
  • Water sealing around the pedals #19
  • After market tires (not yet)
  • Windshield #23
  • Rack storage #21
  • Top and back #22
  • Navigation: mounting a tablet to the ROPS #29
  • Front locker install #31, field testing #32

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Rack storage:
Ended up going with the Honda accessory rack bags.
I’ve had really good luck with a Ogio soft bag for my ATV and been using it on the P500 for a while.
But I need more space to keep the wife happy.
Always liked the concept of these and they look good.
DD3ACBAE E8A4 45D5 8A8B B9B71F0971F7

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Soft top and back panel:

It’s the path less taken but giving the one piece soft top/back panel a try.
I have tended to lean the ROPS on trees to improve the roll over angle on occasion.
This will be hard on the soft top.
Time will tell.

Unfortunately the top/back panel attaches to the Honda accessory windshield and I have a Super ATV flip up.
So, I attached the top to the Super ATV windshields.
Soft top attaches with an aluminum channel that bolts to the windshield.
1496D00B 0CA7 423F 88AA E5D66B4A183E

The top has some fiberglass rods to help keep its shape.
The rods are held with some plastic things that, according to the internet, fly off and are lost the first time you turn your back.
And, to make matters worse, Honda dose not sell the clip things separately.
So, I drilled them and zip tied them to the ROPS bar.
42FE5853 D4BE 47C0 84E9 9E926B593139

After the picture I trimmed the tails off

Over all it fits ok.
Might be a little lose right above the windshield but it’s not like a P500 is going to go Mach 3 with its hair on fire.

7C58249E 378E 44AE 9B78 D868E6CABB52

And the back side.
D50D0EE5 17A0 42A8 AE46 0E9A16130459

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Windshield

Looking back threw this thread I noticed I did not include the windshield.
I posted on this in another thread, must have got distracted and forgot.

Back in March (2020) Super ATV ran a sale when the whole Covid thing hit.
I'm guessing they saw sales plummet at first, I'm guessing they have better sales now with all the cooped up people buying SxS to get out of the house and social distance.
There sale was pretty good, I picked up a flip up for the Mighty P500.

Installation was with out drama.
Took a few minutes to get the upper part even.
Just a little adjustment - check both sides - little more adjustment type of deal.

Posing outside with the windshield down:

And up:

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
How hard is it to remove hood with the windshield in place?

Reactions: J80
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
How hard is it to remove hood with the windshield in place?
Not possible hard.
The lower section of windshield will prevent the latches disengaging.
You have to lift a little before sliding.

It's a minor anoyance with the SATV windshield but I knew this going in to it.
The official honda one dose allow you to remove the hood with the windshield tipped out.

Reactions: JACKAL
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Soft top and back panel:

It’s the path less taken but giving the one piece soft top/back panel a try.
I have tended to lean the ROPS on trees to improve the roll over angle on occasion.
This will be hard on the soft top.
Time will tell.

Unfortunately the top/back panel attaches to the Honda accessory windshield and I have a Super ATV flip up.
So, I attached the top to the Super ATV windshields.
Soft top attaches with an aluminum channel that bolts to the windshield.
View attachment 223106

The top has some fiberglass rods to help keep its shape.
The rods are held with some plastic things that, according to the internet, fly off and are lost the first time you turn your back.
And, to make matters worse, Honda dose not sell the clip things separately.
So, I drilled them and zip tied them to the ROPS bar.
View attachment 223107
After the picture I trimmed the tails off

Over all it fits ok.
Might be a little lose right above the windshield but it’s not like a P500 is going to go Mach 3 with its hair on fire.

View attachment 223109

And the back side.
View attachment 223108
I dono, some one was talking about a blown P5?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335 I'm pretty sure you picked the wrong thread to be bringing that s*** up.
No issues with my p5 experience, its been money in the bank for me.
HA! Stirred the fleas up and didn't mean to!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Navigation

I picked up a tablet with Life Time Trail Maps on it a few years ago.
Still trying to figure the map out, people like @JACKAL act like it's easy, you play with sitting in front of the TV (when you loses and some sappy chick flick is on).
The only problem is when I turn on the tracking function the tablet tells me to dream on, ain't no good riding here in Ohio.
Mostly I use the tablet to check HondaSxS.com and watch off roading YouTube vids.

For a recent ride I mounted the tablet on the A-pillar headder bar of the ROPS.
I used a Honda ROPS clamp for the p700 08R70-HL3 -A00, the p700 and the p500 have the same diameter tube for the ROPS.
I was afraid the clamp might rotate too easily but after the 1st trip (160 miles in 2 days) it stayed put.
Plan B was to wrap the ROPS tube with electrical tape under the clamp but it wasn’t needed.

To the clamp I added an extruded aluminum rectangular tube to push the mount as far forward as the roof and windshield would allow.
On the end of the tube I used a Arkon tablet mount part #TAB4METKL.

The tablet mount comes with a short link and I was not satisfied with the positioning of the tablet.
The p500 has a small cab (everything about the p500 is small) and I wanted the tablet as as close to the windshield as possible to keep from head butting it on a regular basis.
So I ordered a 6" mount shaft part #SPRM256.
(The new mount shaft arrived right before we walked out the door going to the Mayhem on the Mountain ride)

I used a mini USB cable I had on hand and a car cigarette lighter adapter to power it up.
In the future I might add a USB jack to the dash but I’m not in a hurry.

After using this set up for 2 wet and muddy days at Royal Blue I'm very pleased.
The tablet was out of the way for two people with MX helmets on.
Also the tablet stayed dry in a light rain.
We had some idea where we were (pretty much lost following @JACKAL around).

View from the passenger seat:
21F9B2DF 5F52 4A3B BFF5 54E52742F53F

View showing the mounting hardware:
54FA767B 997C 445C 8699 6E90F5ECDEAF

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Navigation

I picked up a tablet with Life Time Trail Maps on it a few years ago.
Still trying to figure the map out, people like @JACKAL act like it's easy, you play with sitting in front of the TV (when you loses and some sappy chick flick is on).
The only problem is when I turn on the tracking function the tablet tells me to dream on, ain't no good riding here in Ohio.
Mostly I use the tablet to check HondaSxS.com and watch off roading YouTube vids.

For a recent ride I mounted the tablet on the A-pillar headder bar of the ROPS.
I used a Honda ROPS clamp for the p700 08R70-HL3 -A00, the p700 and the p500 have the same diameter tube for the ROPS.
I was afraid the clamp might rotate too easily but after the 1st trip (160 miles in 2 days) it stayed put.
Plan B was to wrap the ROPS tube with electrical tape under the clamp but it wasn’t needed.

To the clamp I added an extruded aluminum rectangular tube to push the mount as far forward as the roof and windshield would allow.
On the end of the tube I used a Arkon tablet mount part #TAB4METKL.

The tablet mount comes with a short link and I was not satisfied with the positioning of the tablet.
The p500 has a small cab (everything about the p500 is small) and I wanted the tablet as as close to the windshield as possible to keep from head butting it on a regular basis.
So I ordered a 6" mount shaft part #SPRM256.
(The new mount shaft arrived right before we walked out the door going to the Mayhem on the Mountain ride)

I used a mini USB cable I had on hand and a car cigarette lighter adapter to power it up.
In the future I might add a USB jack to the dash but I’m not in a hurry.

After using this set up for 2 wet and muddy days at Royal Blue I'm very pleased.
The tablet was out of the way for two people with MX helmets on.
Also the tablet stayed dry in a light rain.
We had some idea where we were (pretty much lost following @JACKAL around).

View from the passenger seat:
View attachment 229202

View showing the mounting hardware:
View attachment 229203
I have that same tablet mount as u. Never had an issue with it. The one I used before, left my tablet on the floor many times. U get what u pay for.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Torq Locker front locking differential.

The torq locker or Aussie locker is billed as an "automatic locker".
In reality it is locked diff with a ratcheting feature.
When 4x4 is engaged the front end is effectivly locked.
In 2wd the front wheels can ratchet forward - like an over running clutch on one side.

After writing this I realized that I spent a few hours turning wrenches and there is no discernable diffrence in the vehicle.
So I an including a picture of the locker just after it arrived.
560FCF4C 776F 46F8 ADCA CB7AA5A10C9B

There have been several write ups on instalation and at least one video so I will only add a few comments based on my experience.
Step 1 was to pressure wash the front of the p500 to make it easier to work on.
However, I did notice that once I started to disassemble the front bumper I could smell the unique odor of Royal Blue mud.
Nasty s*** smell but it did bring back memories of some good riding.

I used the left lower arm method as detailed here:

F5027787 DA0E 4004 BBB5 945A03CBFB3A

The OP removed his skid plate but I don't recall him mentioning that.
I had the SxS up on jack stands before I realized that this makes access to the 4wd clutch cable much easyer.
Also getting everything back in its place is easyer being able to support the diff housing from below.
But, the stock skid plate was easily flexed out of the way after dropping 5 of the little bolts and washers.
(Is it just me or do the little skid plate washers look just like the Popo skid plate washers?)

Showing the stock skid dropped down.
07B8F6D9 D88D 418F BC9D 6B4C6AEF6AD7

The total time spent was approching 8 hours but most of that was removing the winch and plow mount, welding on the plow mount and replacing the winch and plow mount.
Don't try and mix and match the Honda winch mount with a Warn plow mount.
See post #17 and #18 for what not to do.

The diff removal and locker install was straight forward and took less time than I expected.
D1F661A8 3456 4C5E 825F A2945C15B9B7

I did go for a little spin when it was back together, but my property is flat so not much of a shake down.
I opted to not get EPS, the steering is noticeably heavier in 4wd but not unruly.
Now I need to watch the up comming rides so I can do a real test.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Torq Locker usage report.
So, I made a trip to Royal Blue and rode with 2 well known characters on this forum.
Ride report here:

So basically I was out with 2 P1Ks that knew what they where doing.
The trails where not bad per say but not boring for a P1k either.
I did get winched twice, once because I let my foot slip off the gas and slid off to the deep end of the pool and once I got hung up on a tree.
But the challenging rock sections the Mighty P500 did just fine.

Over all I was very pleased with the locker.
It is pretty much locked when in 4wd and it will ratchet when in 2wd.
There is going to be a little bit of a learning curve, when ratcheting it sounds like the early stages of a CV joint going out.
Probably will adjust to the ratcheting noise and the next time I lose a CV joint it will be making the 5 pound sledge hammer on the skid plate noise before I realize what is happening.

The locker is noticeable with out power steering but I doubt I will be in a hurry to get an aftermarket EPS.
I did toggle between 2 & 4wd to reduce the load on my arms.
Actually, the week after, sitting at my desk my thumbs hurt the most.

With the locker we tackled the V-notch rock by Jellico.
The V-notch is a non issue for the 50" wide P500.
But the waist high ledge immediately after really proved the capability of the Torq Locker.
It clawed its way over on the 3rd try, I was afraid the winch fairlead was going to hang up as I hit the wall the first time.
I hit it a little more aggressively the second time and @Hondasxs dropped a large rock under one of the rear tires to ease the transition and it walked right up the 3rd time.

@JACKAL in the V-notch. The step is in the fore ground but from the top it doesn't look that bad.
RRB jan 21 V notch

On the 2nd day we where picking our way threw a mud pit.
Deep ruts are Kryptonite to P500s, I got threw but it was pure luck.
Torq Locker didn't help with ruts.

Also, I have often companied that the stock rear tires (yes I am still on the stock tires) have poor lateral traction.
There are many times the rear will wash out and drop in to a rut that I am trying to straddle or slide off a side slope.
I did notice the rear tires worked much better this trip.
I suspect with the front tires pulling there was less demand on the rear tires, so I probably will run the stock tires for a bit.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
That's a locker sales pitch right there! The stock 24's have trouble holding air never mind providing traction. Old school locked or posi'd front ends with no power steering, thumbs out at all times! Seen guys with two broken thumbs after trail rides.....

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Old school locked or posi'd front ends with no power steering, thumbs out at all times! Seen guys with two broken thumbs after trail rides.....
I've been around long enough to know to keep my thumbs out of the center of the steering wheel.
It just takes a little more grip to turn the wheel with a locker that what I do in my day job gripping a computer mouse.

As for the sales job, well maybe.
The Torq Locker is a little too crude for a major SxS OEM to endorse.
I'm sure big red thinks the average customer will complain more about the Torq Lockers bad habits than the lack of a front lock on the p5s.
But given the choices and what I want the vehicle to do it is the right choice for me and at a reasonable cost.
And, it works amazing.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've been around long enough to know to keep my thumbs out of the center of the steering wheel.
It just takes a little more grip to turn the wheel with a locker that what I do in my day job gripping a computer mouse.

As for the sales job, well maybe.
The Torq Locker is a little too crude for a major SxS OEM to endorse.
I'm sure big red thinks the average customer will complain more about the Torq Lockers bad habits than the lack of a front lock on the p5s.
But given the choices and what I want the vehicle to do it is the right choice for me and at a reasonable cost.
And, it works amazing.

I saw someone post a while back that their torq locker didn't work with one wheel completely off the ground. I didn't read into that thread...could have been something wrong, but is yours handling that situation ok?

If I were to do the whole 500 thing again...I wouldn't. Well...I mean I'd do the 520 and go all @WillyBill on it and run prob 2" spacers all around and maybe more with offset wheels.

Reactions: TripleB
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If I were to do the whole 500 thing again...I wouldn't. Well...I mean I'd do the 520 and go all @WillyBill on it and run prob 2" spacers all around and maybe more with offset wheels.

I really think the guys that designed the p500 did a great job.
The thing is damn near perfect in my mind.
There are a few small things that I'm sure market targeting made them pull back from but with a few aftermarket add ons it's all good.

The Torq Locker locks.
No way I would have made it up some of the rock climbs with out it.
I did find myself tensing up on a few long loose rock climbs but the Mighty P500 never skipped a beat.
The wheels probably tuned 3 times to move forward one rotation with all the stuff rolling down the hill.

I like the P700 ok.
The flip up seats are clever for what they are (yes I have sat in them for a full day of riding, no it is not Cadillac level (but it's not a GM either)).
But the 7hundo doesn't do the 50" thing and the engine just needs somthing more.
(2 gears, low range, more power - just somthing)

I've ridden with @WillyBill and hope to again one day.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really think the guys that designed the p500 did a great job.
The thing is damn near perfect in my mind.
There are a few small things that I'm sure market targeting made them pull back from but with a few aftermarket add ons it's all good.

The Torq Locker locks.
No way I would have made it up some of the rock climbs with out it.
I did find myself tensing up on a few long loose rock climbs but the Mighty P500 never skipped a beat.
The wheels probably tuned 3 times to move forward one rotation with all the stuff rolling down the hill.

I like the P700 ok.
The flip up seats are clever for what they are (yes I have sat in them for a full day of riding, no it is not Cadillac level (but it's not a GM either)).
But the 7hundo doesn't do the 50" thing and the engine just needs somthing more.
(2 gears, low range, more power - just somthing)

I've ridden with @WillyBill and hope to again one day.
What i was saying is that i like the smaller size of the 500/520, but i don't need the 50" aspect, IE- it's too small for my trails. Ruts and rocks that are sketchy in a 500 are a yawn event in the 700. I would imagine the 1000 even more so compared to the 700. But...if you need 50", its the machine.
I agree the 700 "needs something", but then again, the drivetrain "needed something" 20 years ago when it got put in the Rincon. It's one of those decisions only Honda seems to have seen the logic in. I'm holding my breath.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
@lee
Consider adding a 3/8" UHMW skid plate to replace the stock one. It made a world of difference for me. Big rocks and ruts are now just a slightly less slick log :) . I wish I would have done it 2000 miles earlier .

WB

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Tires:

On my outing to test the front locker I pinched a rear tire.
I was riding with 2 experienced p1k pilots so I dropped the tire pressure to 6psi to gain a little traction.
By the time I got home one of the rears was noticeably low on air.

I could see where the pinch was but it was not bad, just a slow leak.
So I tried to patch it on the inside.
Kind of a pain as the side walls are curved and fairly stiff.
The patch leaked or there was another leak I did not see, the tire went down ever so slowly.

When my wife saw this she told me to quit messing with it and order new tires.
If I would have known it was going to be that easy I would have backed over a screwdriver the 1st week I had the thing.

I did a quick survey to see what size and tire I wanted.

Then I ignored this and got what I knew I would be getting anyways.

I know, I've used this picture a few times already.
But the tires look good don't they?

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Tires:

On my outing to test the front locker I pinched a rear tire.
I was riding with 2 experienced p1k pilots so I dropped the tire pressure to 6psi to gain a little traction.
By the time I got home one of the rears was noticeably low on air.

I could see where the pinch was but it was not bad, just a slow leak.
So I tried to patch it on the inside.
Kind of a pain as the side walls are curved and fairly stiff.
The patch leaked or there was another leak I did not see, the tire went down ever so slowly.

When my wife saw this she told me to quit messing with it and order new tires.
If I would have known it was going to be that easy I would have backed over a screwdriver the 1st week I had the thing.

I did a quick survey to see what size and tire I wanted.
View attachment 270833
Then I ignored this and got what I knew I would be getting anyways.

View attachment 270834
I know, I've used this picture a few times already.
But the tires look good don't they?
Lookin good!!!
But...Running same tire as rear on the front makes them even less tippy. You don’t even need to ask me how I know, 🤪

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!