Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum! You can also add power steering to the P5 which might help you out also. Not sure if that is available for the 4 wheeler you are considering, or if you would even need it on a 4 wheeler.
Dad put it on his Rincon????

Reactions: Bastardchild
F

Fez24

Dec 7, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great advice, it is always nice to get another perspective. Looks like I will be scheduling a few test rides and maybe even looking into a larger machine like the Pioneer 700 or X2....

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
RIDE THEM . OH , My Grizzly has power steering , heated grips , heated thumb and heated seat . Bottom line is , it's your back . What others say doesn't mean a thing . What ever you get has to work for you . This is my herd and they are all comfortable to me but not all the time or every ride . IMG 6114

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
This isn’t back related but I can’t go back to riding an atv all day. I had to use an atv all day on our hunting place. I mean all day to pulling a harrow, pulling a lawn roller, doing chores etc. by the end of the day my back was sore, and my dang thumb/hand was starting to want to cramp. I may be p**** but by the end of day I was dying to have my p500 back.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
RIDE THEM . OH , My Grizzly has power steering , heated grips , heated thumb and heated seat . Bottom line is , it's your back . What others say doesn't mean a thing . What ever you get has to work for you . This is my herd and they are all comfortable to me but not all the time or every ride . View attachment 97498
You ride Trials? Those guys are pretty impressive

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I always used to put a spent 20 guage shotgun shell on my thumb throttles, you can slide them out for leverage and no more cramped thumb. People used to tease me about it, then they started copying me lol.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Added power steering to P500, now less soreness in sholder/neck muscles from tight trail riding. So easy can do one handed steering. (Neck nerve/disc replacement).

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
ridden and had a ton of machines, belong to a club and just being interested i will take out a few. best ride on trails(all our trails are rutted up farm fields) would be the grizzly 700 of the machines id buy. the popos, artics are terrible, fall apart as soon as you buy them if you want a utv id look at a wolverine. the pioneer is honestly one of the worst riding machines ive ever owned, the back bounces off the ground at speeds over 20 in most of our fields. the wolverine was the other machine i was considering had a ton of nice stuff inside but the seats are kind of laid back kind of like a camaro or something like that, have to see if thats comfortable for you or not but the bed capacity and the upright seats were what pushed me to the pioneer, work is like 80 percent of my use. people that havent had good belt systems say the other system is better but the yamaha is one of the best. i had a rhino for many years, beat the snot out of it (ten cord of wood per year out of half froze swamp, 1k lb dr mower mowing club trails in august, cleaning trails, hauling dead popos) put one belt on it and the clutch pads/shoes never. rhino rode a million times better than the pioneer though and they say the wolverine is like the rhino with an aftermarket long arm kit, which means handles good and soaks up stuff

20180120 094122

Reactions: Gassygordo
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Fez24,
I've owned many different models, and given the description, i.e., trail riding, some physical limitations, not particularly fast, etc., then I would get a SXS. Even though I own a P500 which works well on my trails, I would like to have a P100 with EPS and may be widening my trails to justify it, LOL.

For you and if the budget permits, I recommend looking at the P1000, EPS and personally like the ride (I shouldn't have driven one, LOL), turf mode, steering, ability to transport someone easily and like the P500 have auto/paddle shifters.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
the pioneer is honestly one of the worst riding machines ive ever owned, the back bounces off the ground at speeds over 20 in most of our fields.
While you’re right about that, I doubt a person with back problems would be even doing that. I have degenerate disks in my lower back and a plate in my neck, I don’t ride that fast unless I’m on a gravel road and of course surfaced county roads. But you’re right that the P5’s suspension is s***. That’s not why we all love the P5 though.

Reactions: HP5NC and Duckhunt
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
all depends how and where and who you ride with. on trail days im riding with quads mostly that can go over the crappy trails 30-40. i cant on this i would bounce into a tree. only place i can catch up as it is gravel roads but that is like 20 percent of the trail here

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
New to UTV/ATV's so I need some advice. Which do you think would make for a more comfortable trail machine, a Pioneer 500 or and ATV with IRS?

Most of my riding will be on trails, sight seeing, nothing demanding since I have some medical issues with lower body nerve damage. Comfort is most important and sad to say speed is no longer high on my list. :(

Any and all advice will be appreciated...

Thanks,
Fez24
It's been a while since I've ridden a quad, and never had an IRS model.
The 500 is a poor example of comparison. It rides like s***. A larger SxS definitely would be the most comfy vs an ATV. The 500...I dunno.?

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I always used to put a spent 20 guage shotgun shell on my thumb throttles, you can slide them out for leverage and no more cramped thumb. People used to tease me about it, then they started copying me lol.

interesting idea, i ride a ton had quads forever,we ride 8 to 10 hrs a day couple times a month , also for work stuff, mowing and wood, but i just bought one of those throttle extensions at walmart or wherever, pretty cheap and work nice for using your palm all day helps. particularly the ones my wife rode, she has real small hands an always complained till i bought those

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
never tried that, i think you would need more precise throttle control on the more powerful bikes ive had, wouldnt want to be on a hill holding on to the same bar that the throttle is especially on something like the raptor or outlander

Reactions: Chooglin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
all depends how and where and who you ride with. on trail days im riding with quads mostly that can go over the crappy trails 30-40. i cant on this i would bounce into a tree. only place i can catch up as it is gravel roads but that is like 20 percent of the trail here
Indeed, it all depends on so much.

F

Fez24

Dec 7, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great..I thought asking advice would narrow my choices but now it looks like they have expanded!! :) :} :eek:

Just a little background. I have had multiple lower back surgeries, a bone fusion, misplaced fusion hardware where a screw was inserted trough a nerve and a cut spinal cord which has left me with some limitations (too stubborn to admit it) and CRPS Type 2.

I am not ready to give up on outdoor hobbies and I thought maybe a UTV would be a good way too get outside and enjoy the scenery and meet new friends. Price is always a concern but not always the top concern so maybe I should be looking at the wider machines if they offer that much more of a comfort level.

Is the P1000 that much better than the P700? I would also look into the Yamaha X2 as an option.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Is the P1000 that much better than the P700?
That is such a matter of opinion. Probably no concensus. To me, and I’ve owned both, yes, absolutely. But like I said.......

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!