P500 More comfortable...P500 or ATV?

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
to me everything is what things cost, i think the base wolverine here was 12 out the door r spec gives you fox shocks,windshield, roof, eps nice wheels for about 2k, pioneer was 10 but you have to get long travel arms and shocks probably 3-4k for those both to make it as good as just suspension on the wolverine. just my opinion but im not paying twice that for a toy i could buy a newer truck or new quad along with the 700 for what the 1000 costs. rspec wolverine is a pretty good value, the base model even the tail gate is a couple hundred dollar option

Reactions: HP5NC
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
the only thing i didnt like about the rhino was the grease in the clutch you have to change like once a year too and in the cold it took a while before it felt like i had the proper range of gear. sounds like you are probably going to be paying someone to service it, would save money over time probably to not have that its quite a pain to get to and you get grease all over you and everything else like cv boots. i think for less than 200 can get dry roller bearings and never have either issue again, service on the yamaha like oil and stuff is the cheapest of any ive done. i always do my own service but its just std truck diff oil and i get atv oil, even if i get the filter at napa(cheap car based ones) was probably 30 to do everything on it you have to once a year. honda always has to go there own way, 1 g of special oil, filter that only fits that, everything is probably 60-70 plus about twice the time.

ATCTim

ATCTim

Oct 11, 2018
Lake Lucy, PA
Ownership

1. 500
Something to think about, but most dealerships around me still have 2018 leftovers that they want to move and will offer pretty good deals on - great incentives. So when you take advantage of this, then add aftermarket shocks (takes all the harshness out of the ride) and add power steering (takes the physical work out of slow technical trail riding) you have a really super nice comfortable, most reliable SxS for under $10K. Just my take. take it for what it's worth.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
really if you are putting around like you say, hunting, tight trails and such say > 15 20 mph most of the time the honda is a nice machine. but if you are going to ride more open areas or want to be able to keep up to quads on stuff like that you need something better. the 1000 only has the upgraded shocks on the LEs which are almost double the price. if you have alot of woods trails like me the 2 seat 60 inch is the sweet spot for fitting in the trails you need to. 2018 wolv is the better one to me, x2 is bigger engine and more power but you lose over an inch of travel, and thats what really matters. 2018 wolv travel and shocks kyb adjustables, only honda with that is the 1000le. travel, width, and shocks are the real key to me to be able to keep up to a quad or something like that, if you plan on riding with a club or something, but if not dont matter really

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My issue with recommending a new 500 and then adding tires/spacers/shocks to get it to ride better is that by the time you've done all that, you could have more than bought a 2 seater 700 that doesn't need those to ride decent. It's not a cadillac itself, but its way better than a 500.

If you have 50" restrictions, that makes the choice easy. Lots of people fear that a bigger machine won't fit where they ride (as i did), but i'd wager 99% of them are wrong. I got the 500 used because it was cheap and it gets the job done, but i can't say id ever buy one over the 700/1000 unless i had those restrictions.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I was able to find a leftover 2017 for $8000 out the door with taxes. Yes I'm adding a few nice things to it but its hard to beat the value here when some of these newer bigger rides are upwards of $20 grand.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully giving you more to think about ends up being a good thing and you get the best machine possible for you because of it. Look forward to hearing what you think about different machines as you check them out more. Hopefully you can get some seat time in each to help you decide.

Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing
NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
New to UTV/ATV's so I need some advice. Which do you think would make for a more comfortable trail machine, a Pioneer 500 or and ATV with IRS?

Most of my riding will be on trails, sight seeing, nothing demanding since I have some medical issues with lower body nerve damage. Comfort is most important and sad to say speed is no longer high on my list. :(

Any and all advice will be appreciated...

Thanks,
Fez24
I struggled with the “comfort” aspect also. I had an ATV with IRS and now have the P500. If ride comfort is a concern, dont buy the P500. I really like mine and wouldn’t go back but a sxs is a whole different animal than an ATV. Once you accept that, you won’t look so much to compare the ride. On an ATV you use your legs to absorbe and anticipate rough ground etc. But with a sxs, you “accept” the rough stuff with little body mechanics to compensate. The P500 doesn’t have a very good ride but it becomes acceptable as it does many other things well. I bought mine for hunting, utility and I like the social aspect of trail riding with friends/family and visiting etc. The ATV is a one person activity until you stop. I wouldn’t buy a Polaris but have driven their RZR 570 which is also 50 inches. It rides and drives much smoother than the P500. Its faster, better seats and Acceleration. BUT, having some knee and back issues, it is HORRIBLE to get in and out of compared to the P500. And in 5 years it will need rebuilding due to all china bearings and hoses etc. My p500 is stock suspension and tires...some have found tires that give a better ride. Sooo...don’t expect a P500 to do all that an ATV will on the trails. (Comfort wise) Long answer, sorry...hope this helps!

Reactions: 500oneer
M

Michaeljanis

Oct 13, 2018
13601p
Ownership

1. 500
New to UTV/ATV's so I need some advice. Which do you think would make for a more comfortable trail machine, a Pioneer 500 or and ATV with IRS?

Most of my riding will be on trails, sight seeing, nothing demanding since I have some medical issues with lower body nerve damage. Comfort is most important and sad to say speed is no longer high on my list. :(

Thanks,
Fez24
Had atv for years,went to p500last fall, so far love it.

advertisement
E

Euphorean

Jul 20, 2018
Spirit Lake, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks,
Fez24

Even at a slow speed the P500 I have will still jar you on bumps. I don't know if you could replace the shocks or springs with something with more give, but the stock one will likely be painful to ride on anything but smooth roads for you.

I advised looking for something that can accept custom shocks and then get the spongiest shocks you can but for it.

B

Boneanza

Oct 29, 2016
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks,
Fez24[/QUOT

P500 with walker evans shocks rides smoother than a ranger.

J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks,
Fez24

My family has ATV's without IRS, ATV's with IRS a P500 with windshield and roof, a P1000 5 with windshield and roof...ATV's with or without IRS are smoother to me than a P500, however if your going to be travelling at like 5 mph or less, or riding on gravel or forest service type smoother roads a P500 is fine...I found them extremely bumpy for my relatives with medical issues that can't handle bumps, on the actual trails and we go really slow but really wanted to stay smaller for 50 inch trails. We do 90% of our riding in mountain trails out west. The P1000 is by far the smoothest of them all though, but can't go on the 50 inch trails.

I have rented the 50 inch machines from other companies and they seem to be pretty much just as bumpy. Something with smaller machines to me just not being smooth.

So good luck, in deciding what you want...best bet is to do what I did and spend time renting them and trying them out first.

M

Mike Martsolf

Apr 20, 2015
elko, Nevada
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks,
Fez24
Interesting reading! I purchased our P5 in 2015 & never looked back. Is it “perfect”, no but close. The wheelbase dimension alone dictates the sometimes rigid ride and stability. I would like a little more cruising speed, when trails permit. Considered the Can Am Maverick trail-that said it is difficult for my wife and I to get in and out of. But once in is comfy & smooth wonderful ride typical Can Am. However it is not a Honda. Our P5 gets incredible fuel economy and is awsome on 50” trails. I kinda like the paddle shifters also. The best advice I saw here was to narrow your choices by your criteria & rent one for a day.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
OK the recommendation to soften the shocks is a good idea and would help to an extent, however the springs play a bigger role in the way the suspension works than the shocks do. Having spent several years working for a major performance shock manufacture I can tell you that the shock is simply a control device for the spring. They control the rate of the rebound and compression of the spring and not the stiffness. A lighter or progressive rated spring would be a bigger help especially in a coil over design such as the P500 uses. I have lightened up the coil over adjustment as much as I can and this has helped. But I am not sure yet how this will effect my 500 when I use my plow, I will probably have to adjust the coil over to a stiffer setting to compensate for the added weight when I have my plow on.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
60EAAD95 E871 454C 8E8D 471C30E1F322

Thanks,
Fez24
Hi Fez24 . I had a Kawasaki atv and I thought I liked it but my wife hated being on back. I also have an injury. I have two disks in my neck touching my spinal cord. So yeah I know what you mean about everything. Haha. But I love my 500 Pioneer. And best of all so does my wife. I can take it on any trail I’ve had the atv on and it’s a lot more comfortable. Plus you don’t have to slow down or stop to talk. I’ve done a few things to it but it all takes time. I’ve had mine since they came out in ‘14. Someone here called them a mountain goat, and that sums it up pretty good. She’ll go anywhere and back. I have a warn 4000lb winch and Blackwaters, just in case. Haha. Plus it’s shaft drive and anything else besides a Honda is belt drive. Or as I like to say’Rubber Band Bikes’ . Plus that stirs the pot with guys with bikes that aren’t Honda. I love mine and you won’t be disappointed.
Caper

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 98150
Hi Fez24 . I had a Kawasaki atv and I thought I liked it but my wife hated being on back. I also have an injury. I have two disks in my neck touching my spinal cord. So yeah I know what you mean about everything. Haha. But I love my 500 Pioneer. And best of all so does my wife. I can take it on any trail I’ve had the atv on and it’s a lot more comfortable. Plus you don’t have to slow down or stop to talk. I’ve done a few things to it but it all takes time. I’ve had mine since they came out in ‘14. Someone here called them a mountain goat, and that sums it up pretty good. She’ll go anywhere and back. I have a warn 4000lb winch and Blackwaters, just in case. Haha. Plus it’s shaft drive and anything else besides a Honda is belt drive. Or as I like to say’Rubber Band Bikes’ . Plus that stirs the pot with guys with bikes that aren’t Honda. I love mine and you won’t be disappointed.
Caper
Most of us are getting older now. I would take the Pioneer over any 4 wheeler.

Reactions: trigger and Caper
D

DirtDigger

Sep 3, 2018
Reidsville NC
Ownership

1. 700-2

Thanks,
Fez24
With your back trouble the P500 will be unacceptable. The P700 gives a smooth ride with a reasonable price and now they are running clearance sales so even cheaper. I'd go with the deluxe for the power steering also. Only issue is it is 60 wide but still a lot cheaper and more narrow than the P1000.

T

Two_Dogs

Nov 29, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Fez24, I've only had my P500 for a couple of months, but love it. I too have major L5/S1 and SI Joint issues. In my old age (58), I take it slower than most and can live with the P500 ride. For me, the 50 inch width, enjoying the outdoors with my wife, price (late season deal on a new 2018), ability to snow plow, street legal, and Honda reliability cinched the deal. When I was young (and bullet proof) I rode a Honda 500 Shadow 2,400 miles from Illinois to San Diego. It seems like I have come full circle with the P500. Love the rig and this forum. Great ideas and tips. Good luck!

Reactions: trigger
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own a pioneer 1000 with fox shocks. And a 2017 wolverine 700. Theres no comparison on the ride. The wolverine has very comfortable seats and rides better period. Theres leftovers for around 10g brand new.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!