Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thats not 100% the stock ecu can compensate + and - a bit which is how they can sell it with the same settings at all elevations
Yeah it can compensate fuel. More fuel is easy, its the more air part that is the real trick.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
More air will cause it to run leaner the o2 sensor will pick that up and send more fuel now as far as how much i do not know

W

Wendell_Jimbob

Nov 25, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
While I agree with your sentimentality on HP, I'm not sure the P500 needs more. I have been very impressed with mine. I've overloaded it, put it on steep, twisting, loose trails, and have never been short on power. When looking at specs, and comparing HP ratings with other 50" machines, you would think that the P500 would be lacking. This is not the case, and I believe that I know why. It doesn't matter how much HP you have, if you can't get it to the ground, it's useless. The low gearing, and power-to-weight ratio of the P500 is very efficient. Every bit of HP is transferred to the ground. CVT machines rely on "rim speed" to operate to potential. However, due to wheel spin and belt slippage, it is not a very efficient transfer of power. They have to have higher HP numbers, as a percentage of power is "wasted". It is kind of like a diesel motor versus a gasoline motor in a truck. Gas motors have more HP and higher optimum RPM ranges, while diesels have more torque and lower optimum RPM ranges. If you want to run fast, you go with gasoline, if you want to pull a load, you buy a diesel. I'm sure that a judicious upgrade in HP would appeal to many P500 owners, but if it resulted in "wheel spin" or loss of "contact torque" it would become a wasted effort. Honda did a really good job on finding a balance between the two on this machine. I'm an uncontrollable tinkerer, and an old drag racer, but I don't see any reason to mess with the drivetrain on mine.
Try running a P500 at 11'000 ft. I have already lost 1/3 of my HP when I pull out of the shed up here due to the thin air. I get by OK in the summer but when running in snow that is at upper limit of my wheel size I cant get out of 2nd gear. That means I cant keep up enuf momentum to blast thru/over tough places. I NEED MORE POWER

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What the hell would happen if you add 10 of them, would your the P5 be more tippy?
Never in a straight line. :p

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
So I’m looking to do a slip on exhaust (for some time now) and thinking I’m gonna retro fit something either by removing the cat and stock muffler or perhaps leave the cat (hollowed out) and attaching a muffler down flow of that. So far had a look at an FMF PowerCore 4 with 2” ID at the slip end for a Husky 450 4 stroker, (dirt bike) just not sure how loud it’ll be. Hav’ta measure the output side of the cat as it might be 2” although its a challenge without taking the rack/fenders off. Will try to get on that Saturday. Initially thinking knocking out the cat and doing a slip on post cat might be quieter although not sure on performance increases, compared to removing after the O2 sensor. Hopefully once I get that sorted I’d like to give the Dobeck AFI and programer a try. Anybody done this yet?

Any insights would be great, like I don’t get the big swoop in stock pipe, I don’t understand if that’s for emmisions or torque or HP or to cool exhaust before O2 sensor? If a guy wanted to build a system would you eliminate the big swoop? Where would I read up on the design rational?
Thanks,
j

D

Deleted member 3748

Reactions: jak9922
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Piston... those are so cool @jak9922 was laughing at myself as my feet were twitchin and my head was tipping on a couple of those rides jak9922. Love the enhanced low down HP and Torque now I’m all fire up to get this done.
Thanks again,
j

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
with the exhaust and afr+ it feels amazing... with just yhe exhaust the throttle response was mich better and it didn't bog as much but with the dobeck it really brought it all together

Reactions: JCart
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
with the exhaust and afr+ it feels amazing... with just yhe exhaust the throttle response was mich better and it didn't bog as much but with the dobeck it really brought it all together

Thanks jak9922.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!