P1000 most important vent line

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
huh well I guess maybe at least check them when air filter needs to be checked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bayouownbeer your kit is the one I have just getting around to installing it thanks

DarkHorse

DarkHorse

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I’ve read all sorts of forum threads about extending and raising the vent lines. Sounds like cheap insurance and a good thing to do. While I appreciate and enjoy reading about how many of you really push your Pioneers to their “submarine” limits… I, however, primarily do simple trail riding in mostly dry conditions, and may encounter at most a shallow stream / puddles or get caught in an unexpected summer thunderstorm.

So, my question is: how high do I really need to run the vent lines?

I prefer a hidden installation… I really don’t like seeing the vent line hoses running up the outside of the ROPS to the roof line attached with zip ties. Where possible, I’d like to run them inside the ROPS if possible.

So, for the gas and subtrans vent lines… wouldn’t running them up into the ROPS to the joint where the top half is bolted to the bottom half (about top of door level) be good enough? The joint is welded solid, so I don’t see how water could possibly get up there from deep puddles or high pressure washing… you’d really have to submerge the vehicle. So, my plan is to continue the vent lines within the frame, over to the ROPS, and up inside as high as the hoses will go. Thoughts?

Next… for the rear differential vent line… not really sure where to run that one, as the rear ROPS tubes don’t appear to have any entry points. Was thinking of drilling a hole to fit the hose, but worried that would compromise the ROPS strength? Other option would be to run the hose along the frame to the center passenger ROPS with the other two vents lines.

As for the front differential vent line, really not sure where to run that… maybe just up higher to some place under the dash?

For the clear vent line going to the electric fan… not sure if I even need to do anything with that one... appears to already be high enough and protected.

So, just curious what other riders, who don’t ride in such extreme conditions, have done? For just simple trail riding, shallow stream crossing / puddle splashing and perhaps the occasional monsoon thunderstorm downpour, how high is good enough?

thanks!

IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2860.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim0311
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So I’ve read all sorts of forum threads about extending and raising the vent lines. Sounds like cheap insurance and a good thing to do. While I appreciate and enjoy reading about how many of you really push your Pioneers to their “submarine” limits… I, however, primarily do simple trail riding in mostly dry conditions, and may encounter at most a shallow stream / puddles or get caught in an unexpected summer thunderstorm.

So, my question is: how high do I really need to run the vent lines?

I prefer a hidden installation… I really don’t like seeing the vent line hoses running up the outside of the ROPS to the roof line attached with zip ties. Where possible, I’d like to run them inside the ROPS if possible.

So, for the gas and subtrans vent lines… wouldn’t running them up into the ROPS to the joint where the top half is bolted to the bottom half (about top of door level) be good enough? The joint is welded solid, so I don’t see how water could possibly get up there from deep puddles or high pressure washing… you’d really have to submerge the vehicle. So, my plan is to continue the vent lines within the frame, over to the ROPS, and up inside as high as the hoses will go. Thoughts?

Next… for the rear differential vent line… not really sure where to run that one, as the rear ROPS tubes don’t appear to have any entry points. Was thinking of drilling a hole to fit the hose, but worried that would compromise the ROPS strength? Other option would be to run the hose along the frame to the center passenger ROPS with the other two vents lines.

As for the front differential vent line, really not sure where to run that… maybe just up higher to some place under the dash?

For the clear vent line going to the electric fan… not sure if I even need to do anything with that one... appears to already be high enough and protected.

So, just curious what other riders, who don’t ride in such extreme conditions, have done? For just simple trail riding, shallow stream crossing / puddle splashing and perhaps the occasional monsoon thunderstorm downpour, how high is good enough?

thanks!

IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg
IMG_2860.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg

I extended my front differential into the area under the hood. I put a small two-stroke gas filter on the end of the tube.

I extended the rear differential and sub transmission between the dump bed and the back of the front seat. It is only about as high as the back of the seat. They also have filters on them.

Extended the radiator vent into the under hood compartment as well and put a filter on it.

Mine are hidden and only visible if I dump the bed or pop the hood.

There are pictures of them somewhere on the forum in one of these threads about this topic but I haven’t found it yet.

DarkHorse

DarkHorse

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ah, thanks. Ya, that is what I'll do also... looks like I can't get into the ROPS without drilling a hole... so, simply running them up behind the front seat looks like the way to go. Thanks!

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome info. Doing rear diff and sub trans this weekend while I’m doing the full 100 mile service.

DarkHorse

DarkHorse

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, did a decent test run with the vent lines run behind the seat. However, I definitely smell gas fumes from the drivers seat... I imagine it is even worse in the rear seating position. Then, after more thought, it's probably not wise to have the gas vent line behind the seats, over a hot motor. just asking for trouble no? So, I think I'm going to find another location to route it.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So, did a decent test run with the vent lines run behind the seat. However, I definitely smell gas fumes from the drivers seat... I imagine it is even worse in the rear seating position. Then, after more thought, it's probably not wise to have the gas vent line behind the seats, over a hot motor. just asking for trouble no? So, I think I'm going to find another location to route it.

Maybe the gas smell was coming from somewhere else? I’ve had this set up for a while and don’t always smell it. Maybe after a fill up.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe the gas smell was coming from somewhere else? I’ve had this set up for a while and don’t always smell it. Maybe after a fill up.

Can I ask you where at behind your seat? I had mine back there between the outside shield and air box. But moved it because it gets so hot right there.. am I over worrying?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can I ask you where at behind your seat? I had mine back there between the outside shield and air box. But moved it because it gets so hot right there.. am I over worrying?

Maybe I can find a picture.....

For now I can say that I went to the back near the passenger side seatbelt and then up the back. It favors the passenger side quite a bit.

Reactions: TheHoover
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Found one...

I used Tygon line and out a small engine fuel filter on the end. The kind of filters used on 2-smoke saws and line trimmers.

73241e19981e95ae1170e926837b9680

Reactions: TheHoover
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dollar walmart air box for my 3 vents... behind drivers seat. Yeah, that is an orange box to match my buggy... Sweet!

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No, the box is not air/water tight... It is only splash protection. The back is honeycombed and stands off the mounting plate. Since it is seat height, that is all I need and as high or higher than the original location. Since the panel covers it, it should be protected in the rain or from splashes. I used a velcro strap to ensure the lid stays on.

Without venting, I agree, it would be problematic. To be honest with you, I am more worried about bees than water plugging up the works...

Thanks,

FredD

Reactions: Mudwing and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!