P1000m5 Winch line

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Viper Elite 5000 wide spool. I know it takes 1/4" rope but I can't remember how many feet it takes. Can one of you experts let me know? Also that protective sleeve that comes with the rope gives me fits. No matter how carefully I try to wind it up it gets jammed on the spool making it a nightmare to unwind.i bet it took me 45 mins and a pry bar to get it unwound past that sleeve.Good thing I was in the driveway and not stuck somewhere where I really needed the winch. Is there some tips or tricks I can use when spooling in.
Thanks

Last edited:
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not a huge fan of cable wraps but I run one on my rear Superwinch Terra45. I cheat a little in the last wrap and wind the cable heavy or doubled up on 1 side of the top wrap and then carefully work my way across the drum to leave extra room for the cable wrap as it wraps on the drum. The only reason I keep it is to protect the rope from the exhaust heat.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Motoalliance says 65. But I personally think that is too much for the exact reason you mention.
I would cut about 5 feet off.

Tips.
You need to strech spool it. Nice and neatly wrapped. Hook it to something and have someone hold the brake while you winch it in.
It will hold all 65. But only when spooled right.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Motoalliance says 65. But I personally think that is too much for the exact reason you mention.
I would cut about 5 feet off.

Tips.
You need to strech spool it. Nice and neatly wrapped. Hook it to something and have someone hold the brake while you winch it in.
It will hold all 65. But only when spooled right.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
@Hondasxs I think cutting 5' off is the way to go. I still have the original rope, when I spooled it on I tied off to my F250 backed down the street the winched the machine all the way to the truck.
With out the sleeve the cable fits easy on the drum as you know. I may have gotten alittle bit irritated and in my frustration cut the sleeve off. Then after thinking about for a day or to had a OS moment.
I'm either going to get another sleeve off the Amazon and cut 5' off or get a new rope and use the old one for a extention.. Thanks for everybody's input.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs I think cutting 5' off is the way to go. I still have the original rope, when I spooled it on I tied off to my F250 backed down the street the winched the machine all the way to the truck.
With out the sleeve the cable fits easy on the drum as you know. I may have gotten alittle bit irritated and in my frustration cut the sleeve off. Then after thinking about for a day or to had a OS moment.
I'm either going to get another sleeve off the Amazon and cut 5' off or get a new rope and use the old one for a extention.. Thanks for everybody's input.
I’ve had mine installed for about a year and never had to use it until I had to slide a 1,000 lb. rock across my back yard. Same problem with sleeve. Once I finally got it loose, I did a much tighter wind on the drum and it seems to be better now.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Before I posted this thread yesterday I placed a call to motoralliance. They returned my call this morning. Very nice people to deal with by the way.

I was told a wide spool takes 60 - 65 ft of rope. They hand cut their ropes to length and I might have gotten one that was alittle longer. Also suggested cutting off 2' of rope and sliding the sleeve about 10' up the rope while spooling in so it gets compressed so to speak by the last wrap of rope. I have a new sleeve coming and I'll see if I have a better result than I had the last time. This time I'll exercise better patience. Lol Thanks again to all.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being relatively new to winching (not wenching, which is doubtless more fun), have a general question. After winch use there can be rope overlaps on the drum. Is it standard procedure to go back and repeat the initial rope installation tensioning drill after winch use, (i.e. unspool, then spool in with roughly a 500 lb tension and insure the drum wraps are even)? Or is the initial installation tensioning "good enough" and just spool it back on, with even lay, with just hand tension.

Disclaimer: The above will be the last dumb question I'll ever ask here . . . I promise . . . maybe.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Being relatively new to winching (not wenching, which is doubtless more fun), have a general question. After winch use there can be rope overlaps on the drum. Is it standard procedure to go back and repeat the initial rope installation tensioning drill after winch use, (i.e. unspool, then spool in with roughly a 500 lb tension and insure the drum wraps are even)? Or is the initial installation tensioning "good enough" and just spool it back on, with even lay, with just hand tension.

Disclaimer: The above will be the last dumb question I'll ever ask here . . . I promise . . . maybe.
Personally I don't see a need to re-do the entire spool. Going back to where it begins to changes from the uniform wrap pattern is what I usually do.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
While we are on this topic.
It is VERY important that while winching you do not let it pile up on one side when winching at an angle.
This could cause it to jump the spool wall once it gets to the top, then it will pull between the wall and the case and break.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
While we are on this topic.
It is VERY important that while winching you do not let it pile up on one side when winching at an angle.
This could cause it to jump the spool wall once it gets to the top, then it will pull between the wall and the case and break.
I know a dumbass that did that.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one of those questions. I'm going to install Erickson chalks on all 4 tires tomorrow. My neighbor did this then pulled the back ones off. He has a Can Am,when I asked him about this he said he could never get the back tires in the rear chalks. I've studied his machine and trailer and can't figure out why. Is this a normal problem?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one of those questions. I'm going to install Erickson chalks on all 4 tires tomorrow. My neighbor did this then pulled the back ones off. He has a Can Am,when I asked him about this he said he could never get the back tires in the rear chalks. I've studied his machine and trailer and can't figure out why. Is this a normal problem?
When you’re loading on the trailer and backing off it’s a bit of a pain due to having to bump it into the chocks. When loading mine, I put it in 4wd low then for backing it off 4wd only. I’ve often thought about removing all but the front two chocks and installing e-track. Erickson also makes a chock that will fit into e-track if you’re loading different machines on you trailer and need to rebalance for proper tongue weight.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!