P500 Mountian Riding and Rollovers

B

Blackdawg

Nov 23, 2016
Kentucky Lake, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I am on the fence about purchasing the P500. Can anyone who rides in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado,Wyoming or Montana tell me the cons to this machine on normal forest service trails/roads other than the speed. I don't usually go to quickly when hunting due to the frost bite factor. I have a fear of doing a rollover all the way to bottom and not being able to bail. I usually spend a couple weeks a year in those mountains on my old Foreman. I do have a few roads with side hills, steep inclines that are a bit hairy, I wonder if my chances of tipping would be drastically increased. Some of the riding is at very high elevations in central Colorado, anyone care to comment on experiences on their personal experiences vs the wheeler in the environments? Thanks, hope to get off the fence quickly.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I've been using mine in Montana around 6000-8000 feet without any issues. The logging roads we use are pretty low risk. They can often be over grown and pretty tight which helped me decide on the P500. The snow and ice can be pretty bad so I carry chains.

Last edited:
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I live in Colorado and say you should get off the fence and buy. There can be risks doing anything but being aware of tipping will keep you honest. I have not tipped yet, won't say I won't but if you take precautions you should be ok. I have been up very steep hills and would be concerned about going over backwards but has not happened, been down some very, very steep hill and with the low gearing you never have to tap the break. I do get nervous on steeper hillsides but nothing has happened yet. Where are you riding in Central Colorado?

B

Blackdawg

Nov 23, 2016
Kentucky Lake, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Would be riding in different parts of Summit,Eagle, Clear Creek and Park counties, depending on year and tags that I have in pocket. I hunt Colorado every 2nd or 3rd season, this year is Wyoming. The downhill is a huge factor out there also and the engine braking is a huge consideration, rocks start slipping,brakes grab, then your sideways moving fast to keep from tumbling on the wheeler. Dealing with that on side by side is one of my concerns. My hunting partners father lost his life a few years back on a downhill on wheeler. Have you added the spacers to your machine or are there tires to run which help with stability using stock rims? Can a load be carried on rack or does it make the machine more tippy? I get on fence and ride it for a while, test drove the 1000-5 a few weeks ago, nice but just too big for much of my hunting ,many of our trails on properties I hunt are only big enough for a wheeler. I also do not want a bigger trailer just for hauling the 1000. Tossed the idea around about just getting new foreman, but I take the kid along hunting with me and need to ride 2 . The only thing holding me back on 500 is the fear of the rollover, especially if I have the kid on board hunting out there with me. I really don't see that many 50 inch trails with restrictions, but the trails Back East here I see kinda restrict ya without restrictions. Self recovery of the bigger units can be a complete pain in the buttocks in some mud holes we have down here.

Last edited:
J

JTW

I would stick with a 4 wheeler or I'd buy a 1000... I've had both and the p5 is a cool little machine. But it's not a great trail machine. There are things it lacks that it needs and it's just not a stable machine. I found myself wanting more than it could offer. I'd rather have a 4 wheeler or a larger machine. It really all depends on what your terrain is like but the p5 will get sketchy in the wrong environment and will only get worse with a load.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I don't ride the rockies but I ride lots of steep trails in wv. My wheels and tires are stock and I have no trouble with stability. If you ride open areas the machine will cruise at 25 to 30 mph without feeing like your over revving it. Having the engine braking keeps it under control when going down the steep hills. I think the most likely place to tip is in ruts (And that goes for 60" machines too). I was at first a little concerned about stability at first especially when carrying my elderly father but after a few miles im not concerned.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
You forgot Arizona and we are in mountain country. I use my 700-4 on some pretty gnarly trails both uphill and down hill along with side climbs and have not really had a problem. I had two quads a Rancher and a Foreman and have not had a problem hunting the same trails and roads that I am hunting with the Pioneer. I hunt elk and turkey at anywhere from 6000 to 9000 feet on some pretty bad roads with this machine and like any vehicle if you try something stupid you will probably pay for it.

And, if you are doing that kind of riding without a helmet you are really asking for it.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If you're not restricted by width.. I'd got with the 1000
Do the 1000...come with free clutch..hehe
....I don't feel you had your p5 long
enough to know...it's full potential. ..
mostly you sayin its...not a good Trail
Machine....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Would be riding in different parts of Summit,Eagle, Clear Creek and Park counties, depending on year and tags that I have in pocket. I hunt Colorado every 2nd or 3rd season, this year is Wyoming. The downhill is a huge factor out there also and the engine braking is a huge consideration, rocks start slipping,brakes grab, then your sideways moving fast to keep from tumbling on the wheeler. Dealing with that on side by side is one of my concerns. My hunting partners father lost his life a few years back on a downhill on wheeler. Have you added the spacers to your machine or are there tires to run which help with stability using stock rims? Can a load be carried on rack or does it make the machine more tippy? I get on fence and ride it for a while, test drove the 1000-5 a few weeks ago, nice but just too big for much of my hunting ,many of our trails on properties I hunt are only big enough for a wheeler. I also do not want a bigger trailer just for hauling the 1000. Tossed the idea around about just getting new foreman, but I take the kid along hunting with me and need to ride 2 . The only thing holding me back on 500 is the fear of the rollover, especially if I have the kid on board hunting out there with me. I really don't see that many 50 inch trails with restrictions, but the trails Back East here I see kinda restrict ya without restrictions. Self recovery of the bigger units can be a complete pain in the buttocks in some mud holes we have down here.
To me..p5 best trail machine..out there..
not a Honda guy..I go by..my needs..
get offset tires...spacers..I did..
I'm 58"wide...there's seatbelts...crash helmets
....you can make the p5 wat you need...tranny
brake....best out there...for trail riding..
IMO...got the 2015 Original P5...
Never looked back.....haha
no need to look back..I'm always the last
guy...
20170504 191038

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I am on the fence about purchasing the P500. Can anyone who rides in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado,Wyoming or Montana tell me the cons to this machine on normal forest service trails/roads other than the speed. I don't usually go to quickly when hunting due to the frost bite factor. I have a fear of doing a rollover all the way to bottom and not being able to bail. I usually spend a couple weeks a year in those mountains on my old Foreman. I do have a few roads with side hills, steep inclines that are a bit hairy, I wonder if my chances of tipping would be drastically increased. Some of the riding is at very high elevations in central Colorado, anyone care to comment on experiences on their personal experiences vs the wheeler in the environments? Thanks, hope to get off the fence quickly.

True fact::: any sxs...4 wheeler...
something gonna happen...depending
on your skills & abilities. ..determines
the out come...been riding a long time
....s*** Happens. ...

J

JTW

Do the 1000...come with free clutch..hehe
....I don't feel you had your p5 long
enough to know...it's full potential. ..
mostly you sayin its...not a good Trail
Machine....
I had it long enough to know it doesn't do well in off camber situations.. That's where it will fail!! You've added 8 inches of width to yours, why?? lol... I'm sure it does fine on those paved desert tails you ride.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I had it long enough to know it doesn't do well in off camber situations.. That's where it will fail!! You've added 8 inches of width to yours, why?? lol... I'm sure it does fine on those paved desert tails you ride.
Added 8"....for better stability. ..
any sxs..can get...off camber...
haha..it's kool dude..

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Unless your blind..
you seen where I ride...
& have seat time...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm sure you need that extra 8 around the golf course.
Yeah..watever...your review of the
p5..was from not enough experience
in the seat...actually thread reads
...your family wanted to ride...so you
had to go bigger?....huh
I went 8"wider....to stabilize the p5
for the places I ride...
Don't get Bent...it's all good

J

JTW

I'm not bent... just giving an honest point of view from someone who's had both. The only thing that's getting bent is that little p5 after rolling down the mountain!

T

TXBubba

Mar 11, 2017
Mansfield, TX
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm... this thread is making me a lil nervous about taking my P500 to the mountains north of Chama (actually in CO) this October for elk. I may take my Kodiak this time since I haven't been before. I don't know what the trails will be like...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!