P500 Mountian Riding and Rollovers

J

JTW

Hmmm... this thread is making me a lil nervous about taking my P500 to the mountains north of Chama (actually in CO) this October for elk. I may take my Kodiak this time since I haven't been before. I don't know what the trails will be like...
The p5 is a side by side 4 wheeler.. in every regard. The issue being you can't move and manipulate it like a 4 wheeler. Hence, it better be a stable platform to begin with. I'm not saying it's not a good machine or can't be trail driven. I'm saying you better know its full limitations before taking it someplace that will get you hurt bad or killed! It can't go places a 4 wheeler or a larger machine can!

Reactions: 100Acre
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like the P5 might be perfect for what his needs are. Getting back into the woods when hunting is huge and the bigger machines can't always fit. It's comfortable for two people and gear, no more. Wouldn't want to roll anything down a mountain but as far as tipping, putting one on its side in a rut isn't the end of the world. Small enough to put upright by yourself too. I've been watching a lot of videos of P1's on there side lately. o_O

J

JTW

Sounds like the P5 might be perfect for what his needs are. Getting back into the woods when hunting is huge and the bigger machines can't always fit. It's comfortable for two people and gear, no more. Wouldn't want to roll anything down a mountain but as far as tipping, putting one on its side in a rut isn't the end of the world. Small enough to put upright by yourself too. I've been watching a lot of videos of P1's on there side lately. o_O
Speed+down hill+ beer= PK5 side time!!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I'll just have to get a 1000 as well. Later though.....

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I guess I'll just have to get a 1000 as well. Later though.....
They're pretty amazing and awesome machines!! Like I said... if you don't have width restrictions.. go with a bigger machine.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If'n you want an ATV ride to access mountain trails but also the comforts of a P5...:eek:
0d63eefbed08fcd212b841c2c63b5fdb

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not bent... just giving an honest point of view from someone who's had both. The only thing that's getting bent is that little p5 after rolling down the mountain!
hope not...
it's all good...
but thanks for the
...,Gesture....of ill fate...

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
The p5 is a side by side 4 wheeler.. in every regard. The issue being you can't move and manipulate it like a 4 wheeler. Hence, it better be a stable platform to begin with. I'm not saying it's not a good machine or can't be trail driven. I'm saying you better know its full limitations before taking it someplace that will get you hurt bad or killed! It can't go places a 4 wheeler or a larger machine can!
And I go alot of places a 60" machine cant go. Like the back of my truck, or turn around on a tight dead end trail when going after a deer, or go around a switch back without making a 3 point turn. If a p5 fits your needs its the perfect machine, if your buying it because its less expensive and you actually need or want a bigger machine your not going to be happy with it. Everything has its limits but I do not agree that the p5 is dangerous or a death trap.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The P5 is just not intended for technical trail riding. Better utility qualities, passenger capacity and comfort than a quad. Creek riding and rock crawling looks like it would be a blast but how often do you actually have to do that to get to your destination?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Waited...for spacer reviews..2yrs.
No bad news...given..
added 2" spacers on all 4
corners..giving me 58"..
Pioneer 1k width=62.9"......numbers off spec . Sheet
Pioneer 700 width =59.7. ....numbers off spec . Sheet

Stability. ..traction...
.....big difference. ..

advertisement
J

JTW

The P5 is just not intended for technical trail riding. Better utility qualities, passenger capacity and comfort than a quad. Creek riding and rock crawling looks like it would be a blast but how often do you actually have to do that to get to your destination?
Exactly..

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

And I go alot of places a 60" machine cant go. Like the back of my truck, or turn around on a tight dead end trail when going after a deer, or go around a switch back without making a 3 point turn. If a p5 fits your needs its the perfect machine, if your buying it because its less expensive and you actually need or want a bigger machine your not going to be happy with it. Everything has its limits but I do not agree that the p5 is dangerous or a death trap.
I'm surprised your alive just thinking about that stuff!!

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
Would be riding in different parts of Summit,Eagle, Clear Creek and Park counties, depending on year and tags that I have in pocket. I hunt Colorado every 2nd or 3rd season, this year is Wyoming. The downhill is a huge factor out there also and the engine braking is a huge consideration, rocks start slipping,brakes grab, then your sideways moving fast to keep from tumbling on the wheeler. Dealing with that on side by side is one of my concerns. My hunting partners father lost his life a few years back on a downhill on wheeler. Have you added the spacers to your machine or are there tires to run which help with stability using stock rims? Can a load be carried on rack or does it make the machine more tippy? I get on fence and ride it for a while, test drove the 1000-5 a few weeks ago, nice but just too big for much of my hunting ,many of our trails on properties I hunt are only big enough for a wheeler. I also do not want a bigger trailer just for hauling the 1000. Tossed the idea around about just getting new foreman, but I take the kid along hunting with me and need to ride 2 . The only thing holding me back on 500 is the fear of the rollover, especially if I have the kid on board hunting out there with me. I really don't see that many 50 inch trails with restrictions, but the trails Back East here I see kinda restrict ya without restrictions. Self recovery of the bigger units can be a complete pain in the buttocks in some mud holes we have down here.
I live in Colorado and say you should get off the fence and buy. There can be risks doing anything but being aware of tipping will keep you honest. I have not tipped yet, won't say I won't but if you take precautions you should be ok. I have been up very steep hills and would be concerned about going over backwards but has not happened, been down some very, very steep hill and with the low gearing you never have to tap the break. I do get nervous on steeper hillsides but nothing has happened yet. Where are you riding in Central Colorado?
If you want smaller than 1000, but not 50" restricted then just add spacers and unhook anti sway bar. I have 1.5 spacers. We ride hard. Yet im cautious. Good so far. Have 1500 hard miles. Nor a lot of narrow options. Rzr trail and xc are both really stable. But they area not as dependable. But they perform great

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm... this thread is making me a lil nervous about taking my P500 to the mountains north of Chama (actually in CO) this October for elk. I may take my Kodiak this time since I haven't been before. I don't know what the trails will be like...
Take the p5....
you'll be impressed

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How bad am I off if I just keep my stock rims and tires? Should I go with a medium upgrade to 25" tires like @Alan has on his? He said it helps to keep a lower center of gravity. Many I've read about go with 26". One guy on here has 30" but it seems like you would loose lots of power especially riding at elevation.

J

JTW

I bought the p5 thinking it would fill dual rolls.. that of a 4 wheeler and that of a larger machine. It just didn't do it for me... compound that with the family wanting to ride and I had to do something different. It may work for you.. and that's great if it does. But I would suggest seat time before making any decision!! I find that there are more cases in which the p5 can't go places the PK5 can than visa versa. The exception being width restricted trail systems or the absolute need for a machine to go in the bed of the truck. But again... A 4 wheeler is better for tight stuff and a bigger machine better for more technical stuff. GOOD LUCK!!

J

JTW

How bad am I off if I just keep my stock rims and tires? Should I go with a medium upgrade to 25" tires like @Alan has on his? He said it helps to keep a lower center of gravity. Many I've read about go with 26". One guy on here has 30" but it seems like you would loose lots of power especially riding at elevation.
I had 26" big horn originals and liked them on it.

Reactions: solrus and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I think...26"are most common on here
..or close. I won't go taller.. your a big...tall guy...
so you have more..up higher weight..not being
rude..just real.... so keep that in mind...but 26" tires
ain't 26" if you run um...1/2 flat.....stock tires on p5
ain't a bad tire..it's wrong size..
I'd Do spacers with tires ya got..you get more stable
....for less $.,
For safety

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!