Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for some insight on mowers.

Just purchased an acreage and will be moving soon to it.

I grew up on a farm, but it’s been a while since that time. I already have most of the equipment needed to live on a acreage in my area ( tractor with bucket etc) but I’m lacking a good mower.

I will have the better part of 3 acres of grass to mow. My little Honda push mower isn’t gonna get the job done in time. Lots of trees to mow around.

I have a budget of about $3000 which just gets into the zero turn range.

I’m thinking I want to get as wide as deck as possible.

I don’t think that $3k will get a commercial mower and most likely be limited to the Home Depot and Lowe’s offerings.

Do I go with a lawn tractor and a big deck or a smaller deck zero turn?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I grew up on a farm, but it’s been a while since that time. I already have most of the equipment needed to live on a acreage in my area ( tractor with bucket etc) but I’m lacking a good mower.

I will have the better part of 3 acres of grass to mow. My little Honda push mower isn’t gonna get the job done in time. Lots of trees to mow around.

I don’t think that $3k will get a commercial mower and most likely be limited to the Home Depot and Lowe’s offerings.

4k will get you 54" badboy or get pull behind finish mower for tractor for large parts

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4k will get you 54" badboy or get pull behind finish mower for tractor for large parts

I was thinking a belly mower for my AC WD45.

I will have two tractors at my disposal, the AC already mentioned and a 706 Farmall diesel. Both are a bit on the bigger side. Neither of them will the wife operate when I’m gone for work...which makes me think a riding mower is the better choice.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
35d77e7cb364f300a14ec837f15320a1F51f97cc7c1e9e8d50b6b501532f7d81

J

JTW

I’d start looking for a good used commercial zero turn mower. I’d look for a Scag, Kubota or a grass hopper. 60” or so and gas or diesel depending on your preference and price. I wouldn’t bother with the entry level zero turns, they’re not built to last. And you’re going to need a good mower, mowing that much every week.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a John Deere LX280, (not one of those cheapo JD's from Home Depot) that I bought back in '05. It is one stout mower, and has served me well. With that said, I would go zero turn now for certain.

My problem is I want the same level of quality as my JD, but can only get a 42" deck due to the trees and such at my place. Most of the ZT mowers that are quality are 48" plus.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s what I originally went to buy before I settled on my Kubota. They look good, I just didn’t know how well they would hold up on pumps and electrical.
Both my cousins have 54"magnum for 2 years now and they like them I've got Dixon ultra 60" had it like 6 years been a great mower

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a John Deere LX280, (not one of those cheapo JD's from Home Depot) that I bought back in '05. It is one stout mower, and has served me well. With that said, I would go zero turn now for certain.

My problem is I want the same level of quality as my JD, but can only get a 42" deck due to the trees and such at my place. Most of the ZT mowers that are quality are 48" plus.
They make themF0c33dd371481a112e7f48d856150c4eE0656fce2d2a97c7f3ad117d92b42609

Reactions: VaHillbilly
H

hemifoot

when i bought my cottage the seller threw in a craftsman t130.not the best on the market but it mows my half acre nicely.as a bonus he also gave me the snowblower attachment.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Check out the Hustler Dash 42 or 36 inch decks. We've got a 48 that my wife mows with most of the time, mows good! We use it for trimming where I can't mow with my 60 inch finish mower, Ow did I mention I will be a first time Grand Pa this coming March if everything goes right. HA!

Doc-TEAMWAX

Doc-TEAMWAX

Nov 27, 2018
Wax, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R

Check out the Spartan line of mowers.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went and looked at craftsman 3 yrs ago and came to the realization all the "cheaper" tractors are mtd, even John deere, Which isn't a bad thing honestly. Parts are inexpensive and readily available. I ended up buying a troy built 24h.p. 54" deck exactly the same as craftsman, mows at almost 6 mph. Mows great, and not 1 issue. 250 hrs on it runs like new, starts no problem every spring original battery even. It was $2,000.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!