lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
So I'm mowing with an ATV and a tow behind mower.
Sitting at my desk at work today and the wife calls to let me know the mower wouldn't start.
(I had to pretend like I was listening to the noise it didn't make while she held the phone up the mower)

It seams like the mower battery lasts a year and a half if I'm lucky.
The battery in my 2004 Rancher is the original and still going.
I have replaced a Honda OEM battery before, they seam to be made of gold or somthing for what they cost.

Current mower battery is a Husky brand from TSC.
Is there somthing better out there?
Should I be figuring out what size Honda OEM battery to use?

Kind of wish Honda would get off there ass and make a zero turn.
But I guess there engineers dont work weekends.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have had same issues with generic batteries for lawnmowers from Walmart & getting what I paid for. Used on a 52" pull behind mower on my P500, a Swisher Brushcutter with a 23HP motor.

I'm seriously considering getting another Oddessy 925L battery that I used as my 2nd battery in my 2016 P1K, that battery has been in use since January 2016 and I put it it my Generac 22KW (999cc engine) full house backup generator in February 2017 that does a test run weekly. That battery has worked perfectly.

20180615 110842

Reactions: Remington
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My thoughts are if this battery will start that generator weekly for 18 months, it should do the trick on a mower engine 60% smaller.
Screenshot 20180623 203345 Chrome

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My thoughts are if this battery will start that generator weekly for 18 months, it should do the trick on a mower engine 60% smaller. View attachment 79326
That’s good to know and impressive. Being a Generac tech, Ive never seen that except in there small RV units. Your Generac control being either a Nexus or Evolution has a built in float charger that puts out 13vdc at all times, unless you have the smaller dark gray control then you have a black external float charger either in the generator or your transferswitch.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got the mover going.
Half way threw the front yard I realize its making an intermittent swishing noise.
Next round I realized the grass is not cut when its making the new noise, and there is the distinct order of hot belt.

The wife has a set of belts stashed in the barn so I threw a new drive belt on.
This thing cuts like a new mower!
I should throw a new belt on every spring when I sharpen the blades.

Just goes to show I don't know s*** about belt drives.
I should stick to my Hondas.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ZTR blew a drive belt AND deck belt at same time.

I hate swapping belts, it goes through one each every year cutting 5acres every 3-4days during the summer.

I’ve got two sets of blades. I swap them once a month and buy two new sets each spring because they are worn out by the end of a summer.

That’s $300 a year for mower maintenance.

Reactions: Mudwing
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ran an Odyssey 925 in my 07 Rhino for 9 years and it is still in there today. I sold it. As far as mower batteries my next one will be an Odyssey. Advanced Auto batteries were junk for me, when they bought out Car Quest I ended up with 2, one for the bagger L-130 and one for the zero turn Z-425. They have been very good for 4 years.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The cheap orange gel batteries really seem to hold up good for the money

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!