Riding mower?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a big dog. It's identical to a hustler commercial series except mine is red and the hustler is yellow. I went to buy a hustler and the sales guy talked me out of it. Saved me $3,000 by getting the big dog. He showed me the part numbers on the drive pumps, motor, etc. and they are all the same. 3 year old, cut 3 acres of tiffway Bermuda weekly with a mulching plate attached. The thing is a beast and runs as good now as it did the day I bought it. Kubota is great as well, but they were more expensive when I was shopping.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Hustler All The Way....I run a SuperZ HD and it's the perfect match for my Honda P1k5...both run great and are the best.
I run the X one looking at a super Z now

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
if you are looking for a zero turn mower grasshopper is about the best out there and their warranty is no questions ask if you ever need it excel industries aka hustler-big dog will not honor their advertised warranty i would never give them a penny ever again they screwed me over big time on super z mowers metalcraft aka scag are also top mowers and they stand behind their products

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
if you are looking for a zero turn mower grasshopper is about the best out there and their warranty is no questions ask if you ever need it excel industries aka hustler-big dog will not honor their advertised warranty i would never give them a penny ever again they screwed me over big time on super z mowers metalcraft aka scag are also top mowers and they stand behind their products
My best friend owns a small business and all he sells is hustler. That's why I went with him and as of for warranty I cannot help you as he will come pick up my mower change oil sharpen blades for free. He's replaced the clutch at no cost to me and let me know I have four years warranty reguardless of hours. It really depends on the dealer for warranty work though. They are all good mowers whichever you buy, just remember commercial is super nice and will probably outlast the yard you are cutting if Its just for personal use.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
A lot depends on your budget, well pretty much everything. A tractor and a zero turn are sort of two different worlds so deciding what fits you best is the first question. A tractor is going to be better on the hills, pull more, offer a loader option, 4x4, 3pt hitch, etc. The zero turns are grass cutting beasts - they do one thing very well - mow grass. You can pull a small trailer and even push snow with them but over all they are best for cutting grass.
I do a LOT with tractors from rebuilding to owning and using. Kubota, Deere are both top rate machines. Deere does have their box store line which I would pass on, they are built to meet a price point with the MTD products out there - the over all usefulness and long term reliability shows this price point.
Generally speaking if you get a small diesel motor and a 3pt hitch you are getting a "real tractor", maybe a small one but far more than a lawn mower. Also something that will last a lot longer than a box store machine.
Again, with some idea of your target price we maybe able to point to a few machine that maybe worth looking at.
Good luck on your search

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks @joeymt33. I was leaning towards a craftsman or a cub cadet because of the kohler engine (has anyone seen a Honda motor in a riding mower??) I really wasn't impressed with the JD, although initially that's what I thought I wanted. After looking at them I think the only thing "john deere" about them is the color scheme and stickers.
I have two Cub Cadets, great motor Kohler. And I'll be honest, I abuse the hell out of mine, I live in the woods where it's rocky, branches in the grass all the time, I blow right thru it all. Blade bearing housing (or whatever that's called) is the only parts I've had to replace occassionaly. Ones 13 years old, ones 7 years old.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks @joeymt33. I was leaning towards a craftsman or a cub cadet because of the kohler engine (has anyone seen a Honda motor in a riding mower??) I really wasn't impressed with the JD, although initially that's what I thought I wanted. After looking at them I think the only thing "john deere" about them is the color scheme and stickers.

Cub Cadet RTZ-L 46" with 688cc Honda twin cylinder engine.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...55oDk8FQUcQaFwfPA&sig2=TMhSz7I1r9756KjPUxvhSA

Ee2bfc0c f817 4fdb bc59 4018071f177d 300

Last edited:
Reactions: Tflynn
advertisement
J

JTW

I have a Kubota ZD23 and I love it... If I were going gas I'd buy a Scag! That's in a zero turn... For just a light riding mower I had a $1000 Huskee from TSC that served me well for 3 years until I bought our new place and needed a bigger mower.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kohler's are good if you avoid the Courage models.

Reactions: JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Huskee had a Kohler and so does dad's Scag. We never had any trouble.
Were they Courage engines? I've got nothing against Kohler at all, their industrial model (can't remember what it's called offhand) was outstanding. But they cut did cut corners with some years of Courage models. It seemed hit or miss for some reason, like they kept experimenting with ways of being cheap lol. It's been years since I've been inside one but for instance something with the cam was plastic on some years (was either the cam gear or the retainer). They called it some fancy co-polymer space age nylon Kevlar titanium infused (I'm being sarcastic) foreign material but it was plastic. I guess nothing is built like it used to be and you get a few bad apples with anything. Tecumseh's used to be hated/feared because of carb problems but I've got a little 2500 watt genny with one that I've had since around 2001 that still runs like a clock. Not bashing or picking brands. Just sharing.

J

JTW

Were they Courage engines? I've got nothing against Kohler at all, their industrial model (can't remember what it's called offhand) was outstanding. But they cut did cut corners with some years of Courage models. It seemed hit or miss for some reason, like they kept experimenting with ways of being cheap lol. It's been years since I've been inside one but for instance something with the cam was plastic on some years (was either the cam gear or the retainer). They called it some fancy co-polymer space age nylon Kevlar titanium infused (I'm being sarcastic) foreign material but it was plastic. I guess nothing is built like it used to be and you get a few bad apples with anything. Tecumseh's used to be hated/feared because of carb problems but I've got a little 2500 watt genny with one that I've had since around 2001 that still runs like a clock. Not bashing or picking brands. Just sharing.
My cheap mower my have been a courage.. Dads isn't. It's a command pro

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My cheap mower my have been a courage.. Dads isn't. It's a command pro
Command thats it! Sorry it's late here and my memory really sucks. Yes, they are as good or better than anything out there.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wow, that's cool. I had no idea that CC used a Honda motor. Wonder if they do that in any of their riding (non ZR models) models?
I don't know I have had an earlier version of this with the 23HP Koehler engine for 14 years. Only replaced bearing hub on deck once and idler pulley twice and 3 belts, maybe $125 in repairs over 14 years. Had lots of roots to hit etc. has held up great sold it with my house when I moved this year. Looking at replacing it with this model for next year.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't know I have had an earlier version of this with the 23HP Koehler engine for 14 years. Only replaced bearing hub on deck once and idler pulley twice and 3 belts, maybe $125 in repairs over 14 years. Had lots of roots to hit etc. has held up great sold it with my house when I moved this year. Looking at replacing it with this model for next year.
Nice, I've had good luck with Cub Cadet and will be needing another soon. I'll be considering that one you presented as well, although I'd like a larger mowing deck for the acreage I'm mowing.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The suggestion of "whatever fits your wife" is a damn good suggestion. If you can get her mowing it saves you time.
What are your highest priorities?
Cost
Speed
Comfort
Quality of cut

I use a finish mower behind a 30HP Kabota. It doesn't give a well manicured look but it's paid for. If I were to buy one today I'd go with a Bad Boy. Thickest materials. It is built like a tank.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!