Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The suggestion of "whatever fits your wife" is a damn good suggestion. If you can get her mowing it saves you time.
What are your highest priorities?
Cost
Speed
Comfort
Quality of cut

I use a finish mower behind a 30HP Kabota. It doesn't give a well manicured look but it's paid for. If I were to buy one today I'd go with a Bad Boy. Thickest materials. It is built like a tank.
Manueverability would be a factor on your list for some of us I'm sure. I can use my tractor on some of my lawns, but most of them are interspersed with large trees, close enough together to be much more practical for a regular riding mower or zero radius.

J

JTW

The suggestion of "whatever fits your wife" is a damn good suggestion. If you can get her mowing it saves you time.
What are your highest priorities?
Cost
Speed
Comfort
Quality of cut

I use a finish mower behind a 30HP Kabota. It doesn't give a well manicured look but it's paid for. If I were to buy one today I'd go with a Bad Boy. Thickest materials. It is built like a tank.
The bad boy isn't bad... But one should really look at the diesel kubota ZD series and the Scag mowers if they're looking for a zero turn!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Wow, that's cool. I had no idea that CC used a Honda motor. Wonder if they do that in any of their riding (non ZR models) models?

Funny I was just looking at that exact mower at the depot on Saturday. About $3200. Had a heavy looking deck too.... definitely considering it since I really need a mower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Funny I was just looking at that exact mower at the depot on Saturday. About $3200. Had a heavy looking deck too.... definitely considering it since I really need a mower.

Cool, are you referring to the mower that Jackal posted?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Cool, are you referring to the mower that Jackal posted?

Yeah... I just looked at it the other day... sorry maybe I should have responded to his post rather than yours. Either way, it looks like a nice mower! I borrowed a mower tonight because my yard was ridiculously bad. 10' batwing diesel. The only way to mow!

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Get an older tractor style John Deere ( non home improvement type). Just my opinion but they will last you forever. My 98 GT275 will be passed on to my daughter and probably her kids. They build them right.
I have a 1989 JD 260 with 17 Hp Kawasaki,46 inch deck, gear drive, have about an acre of lawn, change oil ever spring, motor has never been touched and never have had to add oil,changed blade belt twice, drive belt once,nothing other than that, keep telling the wife its time for a new one, her response is why,you've never have any problem's with the one you have, and I really can't argue that fact.

Reactions: JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 1989 JD 260 with 17 Hp Kawasaki,46 inch deck, gear drive, have about an acre of lawn, change oil ever spring, motor has never been touched and never have had to add oil,changed blade belt twice, drive belt once,nothing other than that, keep telling the wife its time for a new one, her response is why,you've never have any problem's with the one you have, and I really can't argue that fact.
Thats basically same mower as mine. My Kawi started having alot of blowby issues so instead of rebuilding it, I swapped in a 20hp Briggs twin. Took a little doing but it's running like a clock again. Need a good fc540v for parts?? It runs like new just burns some oil.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah... I just looked at it the other day... sorry maybe I should have responded to his post rather than yours. Either way, it looks like a nice mower! I borrowed a mower tonight because my yard was ridiculously bad. 10' batwing diesel. The only way to mow!

Thanks, if you get that mower, do post your thoughts on it here.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kawasaki makes a great motor.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
*crosses fingers*

Just bought a Kawasaki powered ZTR mower with a fabbed steel deck.

Hope it wasn't a bad investment.
I'll cross my fingers for you, but I truly believe that you'll be happy. Do let us know your thoughts after you've used it a bit, thanks.

J

JTW

Don't ya hate it when they're right!

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get a better mower and the yard gets bigger. Lol

IMG 0777

Reactions: JTW and sharp
J

Jshell3

I bought a JD Z425 54" from HD.
Had it for 5 years.
Unimpressed.

High speed cutting blade system keeps the dirt stirred up something terrible.
So don't get this one.

But...

My buddy has Grasshopper 223.
AWE MAN that thing is sweet!

J

JTW

I bought a JD Z425 54" from HD.
Had it for 5 years.
Unimpressed.

High speed cutting blade system keeps the dirt stirred up something terrible.
So don't get this one.

But...

My buddy has Grasshopper 223.
AWE MAN that thing is sweet!
I have a zd323 zero turn. But if I were buying today I'd have to look real hard at the grasshopper.. that front mounted deck sure has its merits.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a JD 2720, 32 hp, 62" cut, w/loader diesel sub-compact tractor.

If I had a level lawn, I probably would have gone with a Z-turn but you know.... Zero turn = Zero traction.

I like the Dixie Chopper Z-turns.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If I had a level lawn, I probably would have gone with a Z-turn but you know.... Zero turn = Zero traction.

I had a Kubota with 72" deck but it took so long and beat me to death doing it. So I sold it for cash and a new ZTR.

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I had a Kubota with 72" deck but it took so long and beat me to death doing it. So I sold it for cash and a new ZTR.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!