Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm looking at new. Probably 46" deck for about 1.5 acres around the shop, house, and equipment yard...so flat ground in other words. Right now I use a combo of a Honda push mower and a 6' new holland 3-point mower off the back of a tractor. The 3 point mower won't cut short enough so that's why I'm looking at a riding mower.
So did you ever buy a mower? You are a farm boy so I guess you realize that you can swap the spacers on the finish mower to lower it. I can lower mine to the dirt.
My finish mower is a rear discharge and doesn't give a well manicured look like most modern mower. But it is paid for.
I have a friend that buys a new mower every year. He buy's the cheapest mower for around $800-$1000 and sells it the following spring for around $500. I've always thought that was a pretty good idea.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So did you ever buy a mower? You are a farm boy so I guess you realize that you can swap the spacers on the finish mower to lower it. I can lower mine to the dirt.
My finish mower is a rear discharge and doesn't give a well manicured look like most modern mower. But it is paid for.
I have a friend that buys a new mower every year. He buy's the cheapest mower for around $800-$1000 and sells it the following spring for around $500. I've always thought that was a pretty good idea.
Ended up going with a cub cadet. I was tempted to get a little flail mower for the tractor but in the end a riding mower was the way to go. I'm pretty happy with it, although I think maybe mulching blades might be a good idea.

One more thing I learned the hard way- if you're mowing along a gravel driveway take the time to move your truck! It is absolutely possible to kick up a rock and shatter your trucks window!

Reactions: Gator and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!