Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm looking at new. Probably 46" deck for about 1.5 acres around the shop, house, and equipment yard...so flat ground in other words. Right now I use a combo of a Honda push mower and a 6' new holland 3-point mower off the back of a tractor. The 3 point mower won't cut short enough so that's why I'm looking at a riding mower.
So did you ever buy a mower? You are a farm boy so I guess you realize that you can swap the spacers on the finish mower to lower it. I can lower mine to the dirt.
My finish mower is a rear discharge and doesn't give a well manicured look like most modern mower. But it is paid for.
I have a friend that buys a new mower every year. He buy's the cheapest mower for around $800-$1000 and sells it the following spring for around $500. I've always thought that was a pretty good idea.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So did you ever buy a mower? You are a farm boy so I guess you realize that you can swap the spacers on the finish mower to lower it. I can lower mine to the dirt.
My finish mower is a rear discharge and doesn't give a well manicured look like most modern mower. But it is paid for.
I have a friend that buys a new mower every year. He buy's the cheapest mower for around $800-$1000 and sells it the following spring for around $500. I've always thought that was a pretty good idea.
Ended up going with a cub cadet. I was tempted to get a little flail mower for the tractor but in the end a riding mower was the way to go. I'm pretty happy with it, although I think maybe mulching blades might be a good idea.

One more thing I learned the hard way- if you're mowing along a gravel driveway take the time to move your truck! It is absolutely possible to kick up a rock and shatter your trucks window!

Reactions: Gator and JTW