P1000 My DIY Whips

SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've made a few versions starting with basic solid flashing colors on CB Antennas then WS2811 led's that chase patterns in blocks of 3 lights. These are WS2812B Eco led strips and all that has gone into them. I've never done a build thread before for something i've put together so cut me some slack.

Here is how I did it, others might have a different or better idea on it but i'm very happy with the outcome.

*WARNING* These are 5v LED Whips. They can not be ran without the 12v to 5v converter. If you don't want to run 5v then you can use 12v WS2811 LED strips that are addressed in blocks of 3 instead of individually like these are.

Parts List (with links)

(1) 10ft 1/2" PVC pipe
(2) 5" 3/8 Carriage Bolts (a regular 3/8 bolt works but I had these in my shop already)
(25) Pack of 3/8 nuts
Tube of construction adhesive
1" Clear Heat Shrink
(2) 5m WS2812B Eco LED Strips
12v to 5v 10 Amp Step Down Transformer *not needed if using 12v WS2811 Strips*
120 Pattern Bluetooth Controller or 366 Pattern Controller *I've tried both and they do well. I prefer the Bluetooth personally but it is not waterproof*
Roll Cage Clamps
Waterproof Connectors
Power Connectors

I started with cutting 2 pieces of the PVC at around 36" because i didn't know where the strip would end, overall finished length is about 32" with 29" of that being the light portion.

I ran 2 nuts to the top of the bolt and set the bottom 2 leaving enough room to fit in the roll bar mount

The nuts are a tight fit and the carriage head isn't needed. I probably could have just as easily used a regular bolt but had these handy.

Rounded the edges of the top 2 nuts so they would fit in the pipe easier

Hammered it home
04 05

I drilled a hole in each between the nuts and filled the void with the adhesive. Not sure if it was needed but i don't plan on having to rebuild these anytime soon.

07 08

I cut off the provided plug from the strip and added the waterproof plug, you can just as easily use what's there and cover it with tape, that's up to you.
It takes some time and practice but simply start up a few inches from the bottom to account for the wring to not be in a bind and start wrapping.

Might just be my OCD but i made sure i wrapped the 2nd in the opposite direction so they were a mirror image of each other.

09 10

I prefer to tape the wire down then wrap and add a little tape at the top to hold the strip in place while I put the heat shrink on.

1" heat shrink is tight on the IP30 non waterproof strip so if you get the ip65 waterproof version i'd suggest 1.5" heat shrink or a good 3:1 1.75 to 2"

I mounted these directly behind the cage and just below the top line to help protect them from branches

14 15

I hit the bottom with a little black spray paint before the final install.
You can seal the top however you wish, i used the top caps off a few old CB antennas i have used for previous whip versions and some clear silicone.

17 06 13 18 19 20

Last edited:
SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not bad, nice work.

I'm real happy with them. It was my 1st time trying to make them on pvc pipe. Everything before these i did on thinner CB antennas.

These are WS2811 12v strips on the 4ft CB Antenna on my 4 wheeler. You can kinda see the difference between 3 block control vs the individual on the ones i laid out here and the wrap isn't near as tight on the thinner core. *might be a bit loud my 4 wheeler is running in these*

Attachments

• video-1601257673.mp4
    444.9 KB
  • video-1601257681.mp4
    1.7 MB
  • video-1601257784.mp4
    1.5 MB
SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I did close to the same

Fair warning the ROPS is your enemy, they flip around and damage the LED strips banging on the
ROPS.

I gave up repairing/replacing them.

These have around 2" of clearance away from the bar and I've pushed and pulled around on them. Very little flex so I don't think they will hit the bar at all.

We will find out this weekend how solid they are when we go riding with them for the 1st time.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These have around 2" of clearance away from the bar and I've pushed and pulled around on them. Very little flex so I don't think they will hit the bar at all.

We will find out this weekend how solid they are when we go riding with them for the 1st time.
I used an old CB antenna as my base one of the ⅝” diameter stiff ones. I used ½” PVC filled with epoxy and a flag pole in the middle.

I had them angled back and they still hit.
I zip tied them to the ROPS and then limbs and other stuff got them.
My kid loved them and they were great to know who you were following and be able to find them easily at night but I kinda gave up.
If you figure something out let me know.
I’ve considered a horizontal mount just below my awning.
08F048FA 48B8 4316 9631 A2C7821B24EB

SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I used an old CB antenna as my base one of the ⅝” diameter stiff ones. I used ½” PVC filled with epoxy and a flag pole in the middle.

I had them angled back and they still hit.
I zip tied them to the ROPS and then limbs and other stuff got them.
My kid loved them and they were great to know who you were following and be able to find them easily at night but I kinda gave up.
If you figure something out let me know.
I’ve considered a horizontal mount just below my awning.
View attachment 231004
Her last set I built and just removed were 4ft CB antennas with springs zip tied to the middle

FB IMG 1603167845333

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've made a few versions starting with basic solid flashing colors on CB Antennas then WS2811 led's that chase patterns in blocks of 3 lights. These are WS2812B Eco led strips and all that has gone into them. I've never done a build thread before for something i've put together so cut me some slack.

Here is how I did it, others might have a different or better idea on it but i'm very happy with the outcome.

*WARNING* These are 5v LED Whips. They can not be ran without the 12v to 5v converter. If you don't want to run 5v then you can use 12v WS2811 LED strips that are addressed in blocks of 3 instead of individually like these are.

Parts List (with links)

(1) 10ft 1/2" PVC pipe
(2) 5" 3/8 Carriage Bolts
(25) Pack of 3/8 nuts
Tube of construction adhesive
1" Clear Heat Shrink
(2) 5m WS2812B Eco LED Strips
12v to 5v 10 Amp Step Down Transformer *not needed if using 12v WS2811 Strips*
120 Pattern Bluetooth Controller or 366 Pattern Controller *I've tried both and they do well. I prefer the Bluetooth personally but it is not waterproof*
Roll Cage Clamps

I started with cutting 2 pieces of the PVC at around 36" because i didn't know where the strip would end, overall finished length is about 32" with 29" of that being the light portion.

I ran 2 nuts to the top of the bolt and set the bottom 2 leaving enough room to fit in the roll bar mount
View attachment 230973

The nuts are a tight fit and the carriage head isn't needed. I probably could have just as easily used a regular bolt but had these handy.
View attachment 230974

Rounded the edges of the top 2 nuts so they would fit in the pipe easier
View attachment 230975

Hammered it home
View attachment 230976 View attachment 230977

I drilled a hole in each between the nuts and filled the void with the adhesive. Not sure if it was needed but i don't plan on having to rebuild these anytime soon.

View attachment 230979 View attachment 230980

I cut off the provided plug from the strip and added the waterproof plug, you can just as easily use what's there and cover it with tape, that's up to you.
It takes some time and practice but simply start up a few inches from the bottom to account for the wring to not be in a bind and start wrapping.

Might just be my OCD but i made sure i wrapped the 2nd in the opposite direction so they were a mirror image of each other.

View attachment 230981 View attachment 230982

I prefer to tape the wire down then wrap and add a little tape at the top to hold the strip in place while I put the heat shrink on.

1" heat shrink is tight on the IP30 non waterproof strip so if you get the ip65 waterproof version i'd suggest 1.5" heat shrink or a good 3:1 1.75 to 2"

View attachment 230983View attachment 230984

I mounted these directly behind the cage and just below the top line to help protect them from branches

View attachment 230986 View attachment 230987

I hit the bottom with a little black spray paint before the final install.
You can seal the top however you wish, i used the top caps off a few old CB antennas i have used for previous whip versions and some clear silicone.

View attachment 230988 View attachment 230978 View attachment 230985 View attachment 230989 View attachment 230990 View attachment 230991
Damn those look great! Good job man!

SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Really nice job. Could you share a few pics on how you wired everything up? Also, where'd you get the waterproof connectors?

I added links to the power and waterproof connectors i'm useing. I had them open but forgot to do it last night.

Wiring is nothing special. I cheated due to being on a short time table, needed it done before friday and used part of a new $10 50' extension cord from walmart because the 100ft roll of 12g wire i have on the shelf is only 2 wires and not 3 to cover power/ground/control.

1 wire back from under the hood to just before the dump bed hinge down the passenger side. Then Y out from there with a piece to each side cut to length and zip tied along the way. I have mine snorkeled behind the seat so i use the factory tube from under seat to under hood as a wire chase for my 2nd battery under the driver seat and accessories.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I added links to the power and waterproof connectors i'm useing. I had them open but forgot to do it last night.

Wiring is nothing special. I cheated due to being on a short time table, needed it done before friday and used part of a new $10 50' extension cord from walmart because the 100ft roll of 12g wire i have on the shelf is only 2 wires and not 3 to cover power/ground/control.

1 wire back from under the hood to just before the dump bed hinge down the passenger side. Then Y out from there with a piece to each side cut to length and zip tied along the way. I have mine snorkeled behind the seat so i use the factory tube from under seat to under hood as a wire chase for my 2nd battery under the driver seat and accessories.
Thanks, the connectors were what I was needing to see since I wasn't sure on 3-pin versus 2-pin. I just ordered everything to give it a try.

SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks, the connectors were what I was needing to see since I wasn't sure on 3-pin versus 2-pin. I just ordered everything to give it a try.
Good luck, If there is anything i can help with i'll do my best.

Also not sure if you've ever messed with led strips before but a heads up. Use as little heat as possible to do the heat shrink. If you put to much heat on the led chips they will burn and you'll have a dead pixel. Seems like 1 outta 5 i did trying to learn on the cb antennas always dropped 1 or 2 red lights somewhere along the strip and the heat shrink process is what i believe did the damage.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Forgot I had a roll of basic LED's/controller/remote I had bought to use on a different project. Only had 1" PVC lying around so I gave it a whirl. Never realized it was this easy so thanks again for sharing. This one will go on my kids power wheels 👍🏻.

SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
looks great

After testing the waters with the cheaper basic led's like you used there i realized how simple it really is with a few cheap basic tools and have kinda ran with it. I wasn't willing to spend $250 for something i had a feeling i could build much cheaper.

The ones i detailed the build on here all said and done have what i guess to be about $85 worth of material not counting the cage mounts that i already had the old whips in and a couple hours of my time.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
looks great

After testing the waters with the cheaper basic led's like you used there i realized how simple it really is with a few cheap basic tools and have kinda ran with it. I wasn't willing to spend $250 for something i had a feeling i could build much cheaper.

The ones i detailed the build on here all said and done have what i guess to be about $85 worth of material not counting the cage mounts that i already had the old whips in and a couple hours of my time.
Exactly, I literally had some 5150's in my cart for damn near $300 just yesterday but couldn't talk myself into it. Then you posted this 👍. I'll post some pics of the finished product once I get the stuff you listed in from Amazon.

SuperMidget

SuperMidget

Feb 24, 2019
AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Exactly, I literally had some 5150's in my cart for damn near $300 just yesterday but couldn't talk myself into it. Then you posted this 👍. I'll post some pics of the finished product once I get the stuff you listed in from Amazon.

I was on the fence about the Millar FX Twisted 5v until i decided to try my hand at doing it diy and the ones i built are virturally identical to their 3ft version for 1/3 of the price. I'll take that win any day.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!