P1000 Need new shocks an susp an much more.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can recommend with confidence... the Elka Stage 5 shocks will NOT disappoint! I had my first ride in them today, and all I could think was "dang, this is like cheating"! They blew past my lofty expectations and turned my p1k into a race car!
20161217 125153
20161217 125137
20161217 112415
20161217 112328
20161217 112319
20161217 124756

Last edited:
Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
I can recommend with confidence... the Elka Stage 5 shocks will NOT disappoint! I had my first ride in them today, and all I could think was "dang, this is like cheating"! They blew past my lofty expectations and turned my p1k into a race car!

Did you notice if it gained anymore height with the elka's?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
J

JTW

Oh... another thing, would the lift change the shock length needed?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sorry, I added a highlifter kit at the same time, so I never got a chance to notice.

Reactions: JTW
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh... another thing, would the lift change the shock length needed?
I'm not a shock building expert, but I think the answer is no. I had my shocks built for a stock configuration and its perfect with the highlifter. I could probably soften things up just a bit, but I'll wait and see how much they "settle in" after a break in period.

J

JTW

I'm not a shock building expert, but I think the answer is no. I had my shocks built for a stock configuration and its perfect with the highlifter. I could probably soften things up just a bit, but I'll wait and see how much they "settle in" after a break in period.
I'm not either.. completely out of my wheel house!

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
sorry, I added a highlifter kit at the same time, so I never got a chance to notice.

Just curious did not the preload adjustment give you enough lift that you needed highlifter kit to?
Stage 5 Elka's are on my list of mods so I like hearing positive results.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just curious did not the preload adjustment give you enough lift that you needed highlifter kit to?
Stage 5 Elka's are on my list of mods so I like hearing positive results.
I'm not sure how much I can get out of the preload. I added the highlifter mostly because I wanted the stiffening in the front end. it has a bracket that connects the 2 top-front shock mount locations together making the front end stiffer vertically and laterally.

I do plan to stiffen the front preload some as an experiment... I will report back once I see how much lift seems available.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
advertisement
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have the high lifter in already and thought I would take it out when I did the shocks because it would not be needed but hadn't given the extra support a thought defiantly interested in your results.

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the high lifter in already and thought I would take it out when I did the shocks because it would not be needed but hadn't given the extra support a thought defiantly interested in your results.
I'm tickled s***less with the new set up! You can see it over in my build thread, The Making Of Pete
The shocks really made the difference, but the lift feels nice too... definitely get less water in the floorboard.
The pioneer is like a different ride now. I used to always run manual mode in the woods so I could check up for rocks or big bumps, but I can run low auto now and just rumble on through stuff. Can't say enough good things about that mod.

Reactions: joeymt33
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
With the stock shock mount setup you get around 3/4" lift when screwing down the top collar 1/2" on the elkas. You can screw it down 4"+ if you want but you will not have much droop travel and a lot of compression travel. If you add a HL kit to it it will stiffen up the spring rate, lose a little travel, limit the up travel some and increase the droop some but will keep the shock travel more centered in the stroke like stock.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
With the stock shock mount setup you get around 3/4" lift when screwing down the top collar 1/2" on the elkas. You can screw it down 4"+ if you want but you will not have much droop travel and a lot of compression travel. If you add a HL kit to it it will stiffen up the spring rate, lose a little travel, limit the up travel some and increase the droop some but will keep the shock travel more centered in the stroke like stock.

Well said. I had a high lifter at one time and that part you mentioned about loosing travel....well it meant broken shock mounts on the P700.

It looks like the HL for the P1000 is one of the top lifts though. And has proven to be very reliable.

J

JTW

If you do I'd be interested in buying it from you!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!