P1000m5 New 1000-5 Wiring Question

S

Sparky74

I recently bought a 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 and have started to make some upgrades to it. I want to add some rear LED light pods and front LED light pods along with a lighted whip. Question I have is...I noticed under the hood on the right side (Drivers Side) a wire that is not connect to anything and just dead ends. What is this wire for and is it a power wire I can use for accessories?

Thanks ahead of time for any info and sorry if this has been brought up before.
Scott

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently bought a 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 and have started to make some upgrades to it. I want to add some rear LED light pods and front LED light pods along with a lighted whip. Question I have is...I noticed under the hood on the right side (Drivers Side) a wire that is not connect to anything and just dead ends. What is this wire for and is it a power wire I can use for accessories?

Scott
I suspect more info will be needed ...... like a close up pic of the wire, and an area pic showing the location. Have you checked it with a meter or test light?

S

Sparky74

No, I haven't checked it with a meter. I did look at 2 other pioneer 1000's and they each have the same dead end wire in the same location. I will try to get some pictures but not sure how to add them here yet!

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Scott
I suspect this is the factory ground wire for the winch.

S

Sparky74

Here are a couple of pics of the wire in question...

IMG 20180713 121148661 IMG 20180713 121210235

S

Sparky74

Factory supplied ground for the winch. This runs to the frame. When installing a winch, hook this wire to the ground part of your contactor/solenoid.
Thanks for the information.

If I may ask, where is a good place to tap into for power to supply light switches and relays?

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had these same questions when I started on mine. If you go into the 1000 accessories and modifications forum section, you will find the answers and see 100 different ways guys accomplished the same end result. I used a posi-tap as suggested and power my switches and their illumination from the same key on power. Some guys separate the illumination and catch power from light switch. You'll find your answers in that section.

Reactions: Sparky74
S

Sparky74

I had these same questions when I started on mine. If you go into the 1000 accessories and modifications forum section, you will find the answers and see 100 different ways guys accomplished the same end result. I used a posi-tap as suggested and power my switches and their illumination from the same key on power. Some guys separate the illumination and catch power from light switch. You'll find your answers in that section.
Thanks, Knew I could count on a fellow Firefighter for the answers! :cool: Where can I get those Posi-Taps?

Reactions: Firemedic530
advertisement
S

Sparky74

I don't have a winch so can I use that wire for grounding anything else?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have a winch so can I use that wire for grounding anything else?
That wire runs directly to the chassis/engine for a known ground. If you are going to start adding accessories, typically it is done underhood. Your battery will be right there and easily accessible.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!