P700 New aftermarket limited slip rear differential

S

Sodhead

Oct 21, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well crap.. I got excited when I came across this post after googling for options regarding the ol "turf eater Pioneer 700" syndrome lol. I see it's more than a year old post, and doesn't appear to be any more responses from the OP regarding progress :(
So, any of the others who have the same wants find any other possible solutions? I saw this Tork Locker brand front diff conversion (TORQ Locker TL-HP500 for Honda Pioneer | Locking Differential | Aussie Locker By Torq Masters), was wondering if there could be a way to use something like that in our rear diffs to allow some degree of 'slip'..

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Magma I'd try the limited slip if it was cheap enough to buy but would prefer a locker. Obviously you'd want to send some out for R&D. You'll get honest feedback from this forum's members for sure. Hell, I wouldn't care if it was cable actuated if that helps the process. So many 1st time posters in this thread came here looking just for this reason. Since we inherited the '96 Kawasaki mule with "1 wheel drive" the 700 pioneer just sits most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
L

Lassie_21

Oct 16, 2020
minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Seems like a sensitive subject for fair share of 700 owners since so many people have so many different uses for them.. Everyone has valid points, for what i do i would probably be happy with just a lockout hub only for when im using it on my concrete driveway or in my yard. Im sure there could be implications of doing that but probably not many other options.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Seems like a sensitive subject for fair share of 700 owners since so many people have so many different uses for them.. Everyone has valid points, for what i do i would probably be happy with just a lockout hub only for when im using it on my concrete driveway or in my yard. Im sure there could be implications of doing that but probably not many other options.
You are correct in the statement that many people equals as many different uses.
For me I couldn't care less if it tears up the grass now and again, I will gladly take the reliability of the solid rear-end.
Traction is more important than a pretty lawn.
Some folks use them for work, some as a glorified golf cart, some trail ride and yet others will find other uses none of them are bad just what the owners want.
At the end of the day as long as we enjoy them that is all that matters.

Y

Yackobeen

Jun 16, 2021
MA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello all, @Magma I too am interested. This should be a standard offering with any UTV. I would also perhaps like to partner up on this effort. I am an Engineer and have CNC machines 3D printers etc. and plenty of experience! I was thinking of making my own locking diff for my 700 and perhaps my ranchers. In doing research, I stumbled upon this thread. On something like this, partnership is key!
I would like to get my hands on a front and rear set of diffs for a pioneer perhaps Rincon? -I am under the impression Rincon's have nearly the same drivetrain?
With partnership, I would perhaps start a go fund me or Kickstarter page to raise some funds for R&D if needed. Or if there were someone with parts to donate at the right price? Not fishing... Just kicking around an Idea, that would perhaps benefit many!

Last edited:
S

Sodhead

Oct 21, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah, well Honda apparently agrees it is a desirable feature (I understand they include it in the 1000s). I use my 700 daily for ranch chores. Since I drive essentially the same route over and over day after day, the places where I have to turn a sharper radius end up getting worn and rutted up pretty good after years.. I do try to turn as gradual as possible, and try to vary my tire path as much as I can, but boy it sure would be nice just to unlock the rear to be easier on things when I could. Its not a showstopper obviously as I haven't gotten rid of my 700 because of this, but I would definitely consider paying for some kind of upgrade option that gave me an ability to temporarily unlock.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello all, @Magma I too am interested. This should be a standard offering with any UTV. I would also perhaps like to partner up on this effort. I am an Engineer and have CNC machines 3D printers etc. and plenty of experience! I was thinking of making my own locking diff for my 700 and perhaps my ranchers. In doing research, I stumbled upon this thread. On something like this, partnership is key!
I would like to get my hands on a front and rear set of diffs for a pioneer perhaps Rincon? -I am under the impression Rincon's have nearly the same drivetrain?
With partnership, I would perhaps start a go fund me or Kickstarter page to raise some funds for R&D if needed. Or if there were someone with parts to donate at the right price? Not fishing... Just kicking around an Idea, that would perhaps benefit many!

@Yackobeen it looks like you're going to have to take the ball and run with it. @Magma seems mia. I'd suggest buying a new Honda diff to model off of. Trust me.... there's a ton of pioneers out there and plenty of money to be made if you offer it for a fair price.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah, well Honda apparently agrees it is a desirable feature (I understand they include it in the 1000s). I use my 700 daily for ranch chores. Since I drive essentially the same route over and over day after day, the places where I have to turn a sharper radius end up getting worn and rutted up pretty good after years.. I do try to turn as gradual as possible, and try to vary my tire path as much as I can, but boy it sure would be nice just to unlock the rear to be easier on things when I could. Its not a showstopper obviously as I haven't gotten rid of my 700 because of this, but I would definitely consider paying for some kind of upgrade option that gave me an ability to temporarily unlock.
Yep... What he said!!! I run two sets of wheels/tires..... The worn out stockers for every day around the farm type stuff and my bighorns for trail riding trips. A locker sure would be nice!

S

Sodhead

Oct 21, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've found myself looking at used 1000 rear diffs on ebay and considering just buying one, just to see what it would take to modify my 700 frame/diff mounting points to frankenstein one in there. I suspect the rear R & L axles/splines between the 700s and 1000s may be different, and just looking at OEM parts diagrams regarding the rear diff input shafts as well as the different rear brake designs, there would obviously be challenges. I am fairly handy at mig & tig welding and general fabrication type of work, and honestly wouldn't be too afraid of diff mounting point modifications, or even grafting 700-1000 axles to make something work if needed. But the brake assembly being on the diff input on the 700 may be a bit more challenging of an obstacle. And even if successful this approach wouldn't really help others by making something available to them (other than perhaps some information), just some thoughts that have been rattling around in my mind :)

Y

Yackobeen

Jun 16, 2021
MA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've found myself looking at used 1000 rear diffs on ebay and considering just buying one, just to see what it would take to modify my 700 frame/diff mounting points to frankenstein one in there. I suspect the rear R & L axles/splines between the 700s and 1000s may be different, and just looking at OEM parts diagrams regarding the rear diff input shafts as well as the different rear brake designs, there would obviously be challenges. I am fairly handy at mig & tig welding and general fabrication type of work, and honestly wouldn't be too afraid of diff mounting point modifications, or even grafting 700-1000 axles to make something work if needed. But the brake assembly being on the diff input on the 700 may be a bit more challenging of an obstacle. And even if successful this approach wouldn't really help others by making something available to them (other than perhaps some information), just some thoughts that have been rattling around in my mind :)
To the brake aspect of this, I think the LSD or locker was possibly the main idea behind the original post where you could potentially use the factory brake. otherwise you would need individual wheel brakes. -This would require some brake modification, caliper brackets, etc. but can definitely be done as a "retrofit" kit.

captainchuck

captainchuck

Jun 13, 2021
Lake Havasu City AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.
limited slip/Posi is clutch packs..no thanks. i would rather have a on/off locker

B

Buckwheat109

Nov 28, 2017
Marble Falls, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.
Just saw this thread. Did you build it? I would definitely be interested.

Y

Yackobeen

Jun 16, 2021
MA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just saw this thread. Did you build it? I would definitely be interested.
I am still in the research phase at this point... I have gone back & fourth on this and I think I may do something similar to the locking hub idea as mentioned above. there is no good way to add a rear differential to these without adding individual rear brakes. The locking hub idea takes the rear out of the equation all together, allowing you to run with the diff in the front (in 4 wheel drive) with the rear wheels free wheeling. for my purposes, this will work fine. I only want to be able to travel across grass surfaces without damaging the turf, as well as blast around the hood without wearing out the rear tires due to tire scrub. I will post when I have more.

Y

Yackobeen

Jun 16, 2021
MA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Golf cart?
LOL have one... just trying to make the most of an expensive toy... It was hard to justify buying this thing without making it be all that it can be, the 1000 is just too big for my local trails, (700 barely fits). We go to NH regularly and plan on exploring the trails in Maine & VT as well but expanding its purpose is what I am all about! Also, being an engineer with a machine shop, I like to explore possible product ideas. There seems to be interest and I have a need, so I figure it may be worth a shot... Also, when in NH there is a lot of legal road travel so that would be a benefit too.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
......... "there is no good way to add a rear differential to these without adding individual rear brakes"...........

And that sir is one of the many reasons Honda was able to introduce a sxs for $10k...... We're all glad they did but man.....some stock bells and whistles would've been nice! Hey, at least they gave us the front locker!!!

Y

Yackobeen

Jun 16, 2021
MA
Ownership

1. 700-4
And that sir is one of the many reasons Honda was able to introduce a sxs for $10k...... We're all glad they did but man.....some stock bells and whistles would've been nice! Hey, at least they gave us the front locker!!!
True! My neighbor has a 2020 Mule, and as basic as it is, it has a rear locking diff. I realize it is a more utility based unit, but it is well under 10K too. it does not have independent rear and It is a 2 seater and speed limited to <25mph.

Reactions: Mudwing
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
True! My neighbor has a 2020 Mule, and as basic as it is, it has a rear locking diff. I realize it is a more utility based unit, but it is well under 10K too. it does not have independent rear and It is a 2 seater and speed limited to <25mph.

I have a free to me 1996 2wd 1.5 seater mule with locking diff that sees more use than our Pioneer. Great for zipping back and forth to the buildings and even though the shocks are blown, it makes a hell of a spray rig too! The Pioneer was supposed to do all of that and handle trips to Canada but since the mule and covid showed up......the Pioneer sits. Not to mention the cam issue at 700 miles supposedly due to cough cough, farm use and too many starts and stops.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!