Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like the price point and reliability for my uses, at the end of the day they are to each of us what we need them to be

Reactions: Mudwing and Farmer
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have a free to me 1996 2wd 1.5 seater mule with locking diff that sees more use than our Pioneer. Great for zipping back and forth to the buildings and even though the shocks are blown, it makes a hell of a spray rig too! The Pioneer was supposed to do all of that and handle trips to Canada but since the mule and covid showed up......the Pioneer sits. Not to mention the cam issue at 700 miles supposedly due to cough cough, farm use and too many starts and stops.
Cam problems I have seen in 700's were due to not changing the oil.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
We had a member working on a locking/unlocking hub for the 500 a couple years ago. I posted a video link on the first page of this thread. He succeeded but never made it available due to it being dangerous to drive. With the 500's short wheelbase he said that it would jerk the machine violently side to side whether you were accelerating or decelerating. I know the 700 is a little bigger machine but something to be aware of.

B

BobRack

Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.

B

BobRack

Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.
Any update on this?

B

BobRack

Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Let me just say I doubt this will go anywhere, I also don't think it is needed but that is just my personal opinion.
There are some 700 owners using the 700 only on farms or roads. No trail riding where a locked diff is most likely needed.

Reactions: Glock21user
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
There are some 700 owners using the 700 only on farms or roads. No trail riding where a locked diff is most likely needed.
I use mine on our little farm and across the yard.
Understanding it is an off road vehicle I take the reliability happily and don't worry about the grass.
The price point and size are why we bought it and I wouldn't trade it for any other.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looks exciting to me. Also it looks like it might get rid of some of the differential whine associated with the "straight" pinion and ring
gears.
Even if the op had the needed gear cutting machinery to make the helical diff gears, it would have to use the oem ring&pinion gears as the engineering involved to redisign them to fit the existing case would be absolutely insane. Not to mention the existing case is just too small to package such a diff thats is of sufficient strength.
Factoid: The torsen style lsd was invented by Vernon Gleasman out of Cleveland Ohio in 1958. First marketed as The Dual Drive Differential.
Very intense math and precise geometric tolerances are required for such a device.
The style of locking diff that Honda uses in the P1000 is quite a novel work of art also.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'd say it's time for a trade up upgrade to a P1 if that's what you're looking for

Reactions: Glock21user and CID
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
So all this talk about lockers when what 700 owners really need is a bolt-in 2 speed pumpkins (Front and rear). I'm sure there's a Willys design or similar ready to adapt.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Backwoods
Luka

Luka

Sep 16, 2022
Wittenberg, WI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Fitting all this into a small package and still being strong is definitely something that has been a challenge. We are not 100 % there without including a shorter axle yet. But we are looking at one option where we could reuse stock axles.
Since my P700 has a manual lock (shift on dash) for the front differential, wouldn't the same differential work in the rear?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!