P500 New guy

J

Jshell3

Thanks trigger. It's mainly when I don't have my foot on the pedal. De acceleration etc. more noticeable putting around the yard going slower. I love the low end power this thing has. Almost reminds me of a tractor!
Mine is brand new today. I have the exact same question... So it must be semi normal. Exact same sound!! Like 10-12 mph topping a hill, not really under acceleration, but it's like the rear end catches up with the drive shaft... 2wd mode, of course. I believe that's caused by being a 350 owner previously, you aren't really comfortable running up the engine rpm's because of the sound, causing your bike to "lug" a bit. Hence the bucking noise in the rear... Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

Guess Ill just keep an ear on it. Prolly just me noticing little thing a because it's my first new ATV or SXS. I'm coming from a well broke in rancher 350 ES
And I came from Rancher 350, too (still own it). I'm from Flora, MS (around Yazoo)

Also, were your first impressions that the bike was geared REALLY LOW!?! Like, I'm taking off in 3rd gear. And switch to 5th by 10mph... Thinking, that's gotta be a pretty tall gear to get me all the way to 41... !!! Ha

Reactions: 500oneer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
And I came from Rancher 350, too (still own it). I'm from Flora, MS (around Yazoo)

Also, were your first impressions that the bike was geared REALLY LOW!?! Like, I'm taking off in 3rd gear. And switch to 5th by 10mph... Thinking, that's gotta be a pretty tall gear to get me all the way to 41... !!! Ha
5th at 10mph??? That's a bit slow, you don't want to be lugging it or burdening that clutch.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Your owners manual has the shift points listed in it,my shift points are about 5 mph higher than what they have,I have 1800 miles on mine and have never had to adjust clutch,I always start out in 2nd gear and never use 5th at less than 20 mph

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is brand new today. I have the exact same question... So it must be semi normal. Exact same sound!! Like 10-12 mph topping a hill, not really under acceleration, but it's like the rear end catches up with the drive shaft... 2wd mode, of course. I believe that's caused by being a 350 owner previously, you aren't really comfortable running up the engine rpm's because of the sound, causing your bike to "lug" a bit. Hence the bucking noise in the rear... Am I right?
Read post #20
Have fun

Reactions: Jshell3 and iowaguy
J

Jshell3

Your owners manual has the shift points listed in it,my shift points are about 5 mph higher than what they have,I have 1800 miles on mine and have never had to adjust clutch,I always start out in 2nd gear and never use 5th at less than 20 mph

Ok. You got me. I was exaggerating slightly. And to be fair, I was doing most of my riding yesterday around the perimeter of a corn field just to get familiar with basic operations.
I'm sure trail riding is a different story.

The (exaggerated) point I was attempting to make was that coming from a rancher 350, I was expecting to tip toe around using 475 cc's, but that's not the way it turns out. But that's ok! And I'll adjust, just fine!

Reactions: iowaguy
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500

My first thought was damn this is like a tractor!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

At 41 in 5th gear, it feels like 6th would be good.

advertisement
J

Jshell3

Is it normal to have some slack and noise in the rear diff. Like clunk.
Spellmarjr- I've gotten 60 miles on mine now, and either I've gotten more familiar with the bike... or the noises have eased up some.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Spellmarjr- I've gotten 60 miles on mine now, and either I've gotten more familiar with the bike... or the noises have eased up some.
Parts are just trying to find a comfy seat...
she'll quiet down.
Don't be afraid to wind her up, mine shifts better getting on it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Parts are just trying to find a comfy seat...
she'll quiet down.
Don't be afraid to wind her up, mine shifts better getting on it.
Bet mine goes faster than yours. ;)

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!