New haul setup

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Been trying to figure a way to haul my P500 while towing my camper. If I load the P500 sideways I can't hardly see out my mirrors. Think I figured it out though. Took my solid ramps and drilled through the tabs. Then drilled and tapped the headache rack. Bolted the ramps to the headache. Yahtzee! I'll strap it down solid when it comes time to actually haul it. I also have the winch cinched to a strap astound the headache rack. Overall height of 9'9". 4c8af0285d926561e418e70ebcdc8020

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Rode it up or winched? Wild climb! If there's a will there's a way. Strap across the floor? Saw somewhere on this forum that winches should not be the only stress point. Ride with pride.

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Rode it up or winched? Wild climb! If there's a will there's a way. Strap across the floor? Saw somewhere on this forum that winches should not be the only stress point. Ride with pride.
I winched up a bit but quickly realized the winch want going to get me all the way on the bed. I end up crawling in 4WD the using the winch to snug down the front just a touch. the winch isn't being used as a tie down though. I'll probably strap into the frame somewhere if I can. I was wondering about strapping into the top of the ruok cage to prevent body roll. What'd ya think?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I would likely use those 2 in wide heavy ratchet straps down lower, The longer the strap, the more stretch and rattle in the wind. I over do it, so a safety chain at the front would be a suggestion. I use the holes in the frame by the rear wheels when I trailer. Some states require a 4 point tie down. I'm sure you will handle it fine, just plan for some idiot on a cell phone pulling out in front of you. It happens. Here's a thread that might help... securing the P5 to a trailer...

IMG 0392

Last edited:
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
I would likely use those 2 in wide heavy ratchet straps down lower, The longer the strap, the more stretch and rattle in the wind. I over do it, so a safety chain at the front would be a suggestion. I use the holes in the frame by the rear wheels when I trailer. Some states require a 4 point tie down. I'm sure you will handle it fine, just plan for some idiot on a cell phone pulling out in front of you. It happens. Here's a thread that might help... securing the P5 to a trailer...

View attachment 50402
I'll definitely read that. On the plus side I've been using those straps or heavy duty chains this entire time.

Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 50402
I agree with @Mudder. Short, straight pulls when strapping down and back ups for safety.

Reactions: Stoney and sharp
J

JTW

Been trying to figure a way to haul my P500 while towing my camper. If I load the P500 sideways I can't hardly see out my mirrors. Think I figured it out though. Took my solid ramps and drilled through the tabs. Then drilled and tapped the headache rack. Bolted the ramps to the headache. Yahtzee! I'll strap it down solid when it comes time to actually haul it. I also have the winch cinched to a strap astound the headache rack. Overall height of 9'9".View attachment 50395

Lol.. that's perfect! Gotta love a when a redneck plan comes together!

advertisement
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Thats impressive!

Do you cringe when driving under low clearance trestles?
Lol! I cringe the entire time. But then I remind myself it's smaller and lighter than a slide in camper.

Reactions: JTW
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Update: just short of 800 miles with the P5 loaded up like this while towing a camper. Zero issues so far. No slack or adjustment issues. No load shifting. Going to keep developing a quicker strap/lockdown system. Working on some custom length chains with binders. Going to weld on some chain points on the P5. Finally working on a front wheel chock just incase.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Check out tire bonnets..they work fast and are really secure! Harbor freight has some.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw this in Idaho while visiting @CumminsPusher I had never seen someone mount an ATV like this before. Seems like a big wind deflector though. Any thought on investing in a trailer? Nice truck BTW.
IMG 2149

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
I saw this in Idaho while visiting @CumminsPusher I had never seen someone mount an ATV like this before. Seems like a big wind deflector though. Any thought on investing in a trailer? Nice truck BTW.
View attachment 73504
Thought about a trailer but I'm running this setup so I can pull my camper. To which I haven't found a toy hauler that is a good compromise of comfort/sustainability for my spouse and two kids. The camper needs to maintain a short length for getting back to some of our good Montana spots. Not really a good mix of length, hauling, and comfort for excursions of a week or more straight... for us.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 73504
Ken gets s*** done lol

Reactions: Stoney and 100Acre
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!