securing the P5 to a trailer...

R

rjdavis10

Feb 19, 2015
Hey folks. I have been told that securing the P5 down by the frame of the machine is not good on the shocks, since it cinches them down so tight. And some say it is fine. I have noticed that they sell tire nets that secure the machine down with it tires allowing the sxs to bounce accordingly as it's being transported. I've been securing mine down with rachet straps attached to the frame of the machine, and pull it down pretty tight cause I want to make sure my load is secure, and so far haven't had any trouble. But haven't hauled it too much either, maybe 6 or 7 times. How do you guys feel is the best way to secure to a trailer and why do you prefer that way. Any good info will be greatfully appreciated?

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I've towed my 500 a lot of miles since I got it last fall, 2 round trips to Colorado, 1000 miles each way, and probably another 1500 or so miles to different places here in state. It's 150 miles, round trip, to my deer lease. I put a big ratchet strap across the back of the trailer and loop the middle of it over the ball in the 500's receiver hitch. I hook it to the trailer to where it's pulling to the back of the trailer and just snug it up. I then run the cable out of the winch and hook it around the tongue of the trailer and tighten everything down with the winch. I pull the shocks down to where there's not much bounce left in them, if the SXS can bounce much at all the hooks on the strap will come loose from the trailer. Trailered 4-wheelers and now SXSs this way for many years, never noticed any damage to the shocks.

R

rjdavis10

Feb 19, 2015
Thankyou Sam.........your reply is exactly what I've been waiting to hear. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. I've gotten like 80 views on here but you are the first to reply and give me some real good info and I sincerely appreciate it. You'd think with 80 something views, I'd have gotten alot more replies than one, which is yours....lol But thankyou very much Sam. Gonna ride Hickorynut Mountain tom and will post some pics if you like.

Reactions: Lofar and trigger
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
personally just hook a D ring on my rear hitch insert and run a chain to the back of my trailer, pull forward until tight, then run a strap to each A arm. Never moves an incg. Been hauling side by sides for 10+ years and find this is a safe and secure way. Plus if I use a locking hitch pin and a reg lock I can secure the back of the machine pretty well for if I stop to eat or such.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
rjdavis10 said:
why is no one ever on here?
Sorry for the delay. Ya, 30 of us were out on a long weekend with the Hondasxs group ride! Had a blast by the way.

As for strapping down your rig. Honda says to strap to the frame and rops. I will find there recommended spots in a bit for you. And I also would not see any issue with the wheel straps. That would be fine too. So, overall it would be user preference. Just be sure to stop and check them shortly after leaving and at every stop.

As for the 80 views. I would not say that's a lot.

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I live in Alaska and transport atv's on some of the worst frost heaved roads you can imagine and would always recommend using the frame and taking as much of the bounce out as you can if you are going to be on rough or frost heaved roads. This really prevents your straps from coming loose and your rig going airborne....I have seen this twice and it's never pretty.

joey400ex

joey400ex

Mar 18, 2015
I strap to the hand rail where you sit, I do both sides and don't crank down to hard. Seems to be fine.

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
Thread is a few months old, but you NEVER EVER want to use your winch as a method of securing it to a trailer. Winches aren't built for that and they are likely to fail when you use them like that. When they do the P5 may come off the trailer.

Control arms are always a good place to attach your straps if your hooks aren't big enough to go around the frame. You want enough tension on the straps that they can't come loose as the trailer bounces down the highway, but not excessively so. It's generally a bad idea to compress the suspension because the action of the suspension can put tremendous stress on the straps and break them. If too loose your straps may slip off when the suspension compresses when you go over a bump; I once lost a motorcycle that way.

Last edited:
advertisement
Snapshot

Snapshot

Mar 4, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I never have anything come loose as I use these retractable straps that automatically tighten if you hit a bump in the road that makes the suspension compress. I use them on my Goldwing all the time and it never moves. and strapping down is a breeze and quick. No tangled straps and just a few clicks and its tight. Bought mine from boatersland.com but they are available all over the web. They can be adapted to E-track, hook both ends, hidden into the floor, bolted down, or about any other combination you can imagine. Work much like a seat belt and I can't imagine using anything else any more.

CargoBuckle - IMMI Outdoors

Reactions: trigger
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I use 24" axle straps through the spokes of each wheel and then a 3" ratchet strap on all 4 corners. Texas law says you have to have 4 points of contact from trailer to vehicle being hauled. I used to tow my rock crawler with it strapped to the front and rear bumpers, but had a near accident while doing it this way. When you secure above the suspension and you hit a bump or stop quickly the suspension flexes and could cause the hook on the chain or strap to get slacked and come loose. By securing below the suspension the vehicle can flex and help absorb some of the bumps. I stopped to fuel up and all my straps had come loose but 1!!

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
There are different options bonnet covers ratchet straps different anchor points.. All good but my feelings is always torque them tight and compress the shocks that will stop the bouncing of the rig.
Happy trails

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I put around 8000 miles towing my P500 last year without any issues. I use two heavy ratcheting straps to hold it down. Remember to put it in 4wd, leave it in gear and apply the parking brake. I put one strap over my hitch and the other over front tubing above the winch. I check the straps every stop and usually only need a couple of clicks on the trip.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good topic, what are thoughts on strapping thru spokes of wheel as Tramguage1 mentioned? Seems like good alternative to 4 point tie down. Interesting point about using the winch.

View attachment 38643

IMG 3664

Last edited:
R

Rustell

I don't have any good secure tie down points in my toyhauler. I got this "Kolpin Bulldog" last year and it works great. Hook it to the trailer hitch, set the parking brake and go..418998 L1 Toyhauler

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I never have anything come loose as I use these retractable straps that automatically tighten if you hit a bump in the road that makes the suspension compress. I use them on my Goldwing all the time and it never moves. and strapping down is a breeze and quick. No tangled straps and just a few clicks and its tight. Bought mine from boatersland.com but they are available all over the web. They can be adapted to E-track, hook both ends, hidden into the floor, bolted down, or about any other combination you can imagine. Work much like a seat belt and I can't imagine using anything else any more.

CargoBuckle - IMMI Outdoors

I'm digging these right here...getting some of those.
Thanks @Snapshot .

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!