New Member From Southwest MO

RansomP

RansomP

Aug 2, 2016
Dadeville MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good afternoon,

I joined this forum to learn more about the Pioneer 1000-5. This fall I plan on buying a new side by side and am really interested in getting back to Honda. I use to own Honda ATVs but jumped ship several years ago to buy a Polaris Ranger for our farm and trail riding. I currently own a Polaris Ranger 900 and while I've enjoyed the machine after 5000 miles and over 500 hrs I am questioning its reliability and durability much longer.

Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good afternoon,

I joined this forum to learn more about the Pioneer 1000-5. This fall I plan on buying a new side by side and am really interested in getting back to Honda. I use to own Honda ATVs but jumped ship several years ago to buy a Polaris Ranger for our farm and trail riding. I currently own a Polaris Ranger 900 and while I've enjoyed the machine after 5000 miles and over 500 hrs I am questioning its reliability and durability much longer.
Welcome to the club. Your story sounds like mine. I had the ranger then switched to the P1k. Now that I've had the P1k for a while now I like it more than the ranger by far, the P1k is just a better built machine and feels like better quality all around. While i enjoyed the ranger I'm glad I'm back in a Honda!

Reactions: Delton
RansomP

RansomP

Aug 2, 2016
Dadeville MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked around this forum for a while reading several posts and looking at people's builds and pictures, but hadn't joined until today.
Whatever I buy this fall will be used for farm work, hunting and trail riding. I want something I can buy and keep for a while, while I haven't had any major problems with my ranger its to the age that it will soon need major repairs to keep its reliability, they just don't seem to be made durable. It has great features and power. But at a compromise for life longevity

Reactions: Delton and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum! In my opinion you'll love the P1K. The clutch engagement will probably seem strange to you, especially at first. These tend to get better with hours of use. I know mine got considerably better after 1st service. It's at around 95 hours now and clutch is smooth as silk. See if you can find a member near you. Might could talk someone into taking you for a true test ride in one. I'm in middle TN and would definitely hook up a potential buyer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welcome to the forum! In my opinion you'll love the P1K. The clutch engagement will probably seem strange to you, especially at first. These tend to get better with hours of use. I know mine got considerably better after 1st service. It's at around 95 hours now and clutch is smooth as silk. See if you can find a member near you. Might could talk someone into taking you for a true test ride in one. I'm in middle TN and would definitely hook up a potential buyer.
I agree with @Delton. See about testing one with miles I think that's the best bet. We've seen it here a couple of times with people that have had other brands and you either really like it or hate it off the bat and sometimes people don't allow the machine to smooth out before they get rid of it. Engine braking is the best! It's an incredible rig much more advanced then a snowmobile transmission. Welcome to the forum sir! Lots of good knowledgeable people here and only a couple a-holes (myself included) :) it's a great place!

Reactions: joeymt33 and webby
RansomP

RansomP

Aug 2, 2016
Dadeville MO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks again guys. I know a guy in my area that has a P-5 and I'll see if he'll let me drive it. Honestly at this point my only concern is the heat issue and worrying about slipping the clutches. But the clutch issue seemed more like an isolated problem.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks again guys. I know a guy in my area that has a P-5 and I'll see if he'll let me drive it. Honestly at this point my only concern is the heat issue and worrying about slipping the clutches. But the clutch issue seemed more like an isolated problem.
I believe the clutches is for the most part over and from many of the ideas people here have came up with the heat can be tamed.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: sharp
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome to the club. For your use you might give the 700 a look too. Sounds like you'll use it exactly how I use mine. Oh and you may already know but 5000 miles is just broke in on a Honda!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!