new owner with problem

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Just bought our yellow P5 saturday.
All was good all weekend loving this thing.
Monday evening when i got home wife had our daughter in it buzzing around the yard no problem.
I had her run me down to the end of the drive to pickup the empty trashcan and when she took off it would not shift out of L.
So i tried driving it around. Still would not shift out of low while moving. If you stop and shift up to 2nd then the resr shift fine.
And now i have a small yellow light on above the digital display that says "gear".
So it is going back to dealer tomorrow morning.
THIS SUX. love this thing when it works correctly.
Hope they get it fixed SOOONNN.
Anyway hello to all i have been lurking here for awhile. have owned several motorcyclec and atvs through the years and always been a honda guy but this one isnt starting out the greatest. We are located in Xenia ILLINOIS. But so far i am way happier with this that to P.O.S. Rhino i had years ago.
Not a big fan of the rubber band in the transmission. Hope this works out better. Talk to you all later.
Will keep you posted with the outcome.

Reactions: Rockyacres
M

mikeyd

Aug 3, 2014
Wish I had some advise for a fix.
Dont worry though, Honda should make it right.
You'll be back off the road soon and lovin' it.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I read a while back on one of the forums someone had a shifting problem. I want to say it was a electrical connection. You may be able to search the forums and find it. I cannot remember if was a 700 or 500

N

ninjafreek

Jul 16, 2014
Damm Mine did the same thing and now the gear light is on too WTF

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There was conversation on the GEAR LIGHT somewhere.
I'm sure the 500 is the same as the 700.. It was determined the light has always been on. We just never noticed it.
Book and Manual says nothing about it.
Several video's including one of my from 2013 has the gear light light.
It is actually just back-light same as the display. Not sure its purpose.
Watch them in high quality to see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGeA9V ... jw&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIbwg1065vs

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah gear backlight stays on on the 700. It's on the LCD same back light as rest of display, just separated by the black bar.

scratchindirt

scratchindirt

Lifetime Member
Aug 10, 2014
As far as I know, the gear backlight on the P500 is always on. Mine has been lit up since new.

sxs2015

sxs2015

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Maine USA
I had the same problem on my 500. not as bad....It would not change from L to 2nd if i was going to fast....or just stuck in L ...

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Well i dropped it off this morning first thing.
Just got email from them, they reset the EMC and the Elec Shift module.
And all is well. So i dont know what the hell happened.
But he is going to discount the bed for me for the hastle.
So i guess all is good.

advertisement
TandT

TandT

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2013
Newark, Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Something like this happened to me on my Rubicon. I just unhooked the battery cables than reinstalled them and all worked fine. Something to try if it does it again. Not out nothing but a trip to the dealer if it works.

H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Well the wife went and picked it up saturday.
just fyi the deaer says that the small yellow"gear" light is always on and we just never noticed but they jad to look at
Another one to verify. But we ran it some over the weekend and all seems good.
Did get the rear cargo tray and a rearview mirror too. So far so good. Loving this machine so far.
much happier with it than I was with my old 660 rhino. Anyway ride on everybody ttyl.

M

markl

Sep 11, 2014
It sounds like Honda has to fix something. Seems like a lot of similar problems for the number of machines that are out there. Has anyone had it happen more than once?

D

dynabob2007

Oct 18, 2014
I have 105 miles on mine, no probs, no lights

R

Rockyacres

Jun 8, 2015
It sounds like Honda has to fix something. Seems like a lot of similar problems for the number of machines that are out there. Has anyone had it happen more than once?
Yes. My Honda 500 Pioneer has stuck in low gear and I had to drive home in low gear. I was afraid to shut it off because I was afraid I could not start it again. I now know it will start with the break on. Also it has stuck in reverse and I had to back home from work. I called the dealer and told him about this and he said he would check with their service department and get back to me. And It make tons for noise when I shift it. I have not heard anything from the dealer and this has been awhile ago. Needless to say I WILL be driving a Polaris before the warranty is up on this thing.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
LMAO switch to polaris and u will be kicking yourself crazy if u like crazy high service prices which are all the time if your like to fix axels and belts then by all means join the rest of the sheep thinking the rzr is a must have then by all means jump ship

Reactions: Hondasxs
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Dude we drive a bn model of. Course there are going to be bugs to work out but u still aren't going to kill a honda

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. My Honda 500 Pioneer has stuck in low gear and I had to drive home in low gear. I was afraid to shut it off because I was afraid I could not start it again. I now know it will start with the break on. Also it has stuck in reverse and I had to back home from work. I called the dealer and told him about this and he said he would check with their service department and get back to me. And It make tons for noise when I shift it. I have not heard anything from the dealer and this has been awhile ago. Needless to say I WILL be driving a Polaris before the warranty is up on this thing.

Service departments don't get back to you, they have enough walk in service most times. If they can't bill their time to warranty or to you they aren't going to waste it on something they can't bill for. Drop it off have it looked at its under warranty let Honda pay for it. If they have the machine and it under warranty they can bill Big H for it that's what warranty is for.

Not saying you broke anything but if you did that's on you and you'll have to fix it. Honda has had highly trained monkeys/engineers wail on these machines. They will be able to tell how it was broke if it was broke.

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Mine will do that sometimes. I just shut it off, start it back up and everything is ok. Maybe is has done it 4 times in 700 some miles.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Luckily I haven't had any issues with my 500 at 740 miles...but I had a CRAP LOAD in the RZR I got rid of!!! Polaris never again for me but to each their own :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!