P1000 New Pioneer 1000-5 sputtered then died

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
This is gonna sound like a bad joke or a horrible nightmare, but last week my stepson stole my crotchrocket. If I'd had this tracker I'd already have it back by now. That's so pathetic it's almost funny huh?

Man that's terrible we are really glad we have it last weekend a Rzr and a General was stolen then destroyed and ditched. Not far from us.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
On a high note it's running great and whisper quiet, we took it out yesterday to Hog Waller the 1,000 acre riding area and had a blast. I rode until the night and got turned around trails at night don't look the same as day time took me an hour to navigate my way out to eat dinner.

After the first service I agree with the concensus it's another machine, my wife took it out when she fired it up at our camp I heard the initial bust off then nothing like it was electric at idle.

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn't know if I should start a new thread or just post here, but last Sunday i took my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 to the trail and got into a little water. Not super deep just right above the floor boards. After about 10 minutes of riding the machine began running rough, and then cut off. I could not get it to crank back up and run good. it would crank for a second and immediately die. i have drained the fuel tank and filled it with new fuel. i have also changed the spark plugs. I have the extended vent lines coming in the mail from someone off this site. What should be my next step. i really do not want to take it to the honda shop.

Reactions: Isaiah
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Didn't know if I should start a new thread or just post here, but last Sunday i took my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 to the trail and got into a little water. Not super deep just right above the floor boards. After about 10 minutes of riding the machine began running rough, and then cut off. I could not get it to crank back up and run good. it would crank for a second and immediately die. i have drained the fuel tank and filled it with new fuel. i have also changed the spark plugs. I have the extended vent lines coming in the mail from someone off this site. What should be my next step. i really do not want to take it to the honda shop.

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool thanks. Just bought it
Alright so I got one replacement repair kit in. I know I should have bought two. I’ve checked both original plugs with a volt meter and I’m getting about 11.5 volts off both. I’m thinking now they are not the problem.

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Alright so I got one replacement repair kit in. I know I should have bought two. I’ve checked both original plugs with a volt meter and I’m getting about 11.5 volts off both. I’m thinking now they are not the problem.
Is it showing any codes? Where are you getting 11.5 volts? I'm no mechanic guru at all. I’ve just relaying some of the issues that I've read about on this site.. Ive not had any issues with mine yet but I do have those injector plugs on hand just in case i encounter that problem on the trail.

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No codes. i have taken the fuel pump out of the tank and the filter appears to be dirty. There is also some dirt in the tank. The voltage is coming from the red wire off each injector plug.

Now i'm attempting to take apart the pump to reach the filter, while I drain the tank once again to clean it out.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No codes. i have taken the fuel pump out of the tank and the filter appears to be dirty. There is also some dirt in the tank. The voltage is coming from the red wire off each injector plug.

Now i'm attempting to take apart the pump to reach the filter, while I drain the tank once again to clean it out.
I remember reading where some people had mud in there tank even though they never ride in mud. From the gas tank vent line sucking in dust. That could be your problem.

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im no rocket scientist but i'd say this filter is slam full of mud. Any ideas on how to clean it?

IMG 1278

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So i replaced the pump that i cleaned, and it gave me the impression it was going to work but it once again sputtered out and will not run.

H

HondaTech

I've had injectors clog with the filter looking like that.

Have you checked for continuity on the injector signal wire back to the ecm?

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No and i'm not entirely sure how to do that. Hopefully a clogged injector wont be an expensive fix

H

HondaTech

No and i'm not entirely sure how to do that. Hopefully a clogged injector wont be an expensive fix

Each injector has the power wire (red/black) and a signal wire. The front and rear signal wires are different colors. If the signal wire is broken then the ecm can't fire that injector at the appropriate time.

All you need is a multimeter and check for continuity between the injector side and ecm plug.

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Each injector has the power wire (red/black) and a signal wire. The front and rear signal wires are different colors. If the signal wire is broken then the ecm can't fire that injector at the appropriate time.

All you need is a multimeter and check for continuity between the injector side and ecm plug.

Ok i have the meter. Where is the ECM plug located?

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok i have the meter. Where is the ECM plug located?

OK never mind i located it. I am receiving a continuous beep when i touch the plug and the ECU side. I guess that means its good. Next stop I guess is to clean the injectors.

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have installed both injector plugs and still no luck.

I have spark. I’ve checked the fuel pump and it’s pumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have installed both injector plugs and still no luck.

I have spark. I’ve checked the fuel pump and it’s pumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you verified there's no sign of water or any other blockage of the air duct to the filter housing?

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!