New R, first steps

J

Jacobg1123

Sep 5, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm getting a new R this week ahead of a planned trip to our local offroad park, planning to get in broke in and knock out the 100 mile service before the long weekend. Whats the best way to break it in and get it through its paces before heading to a more technical park? I have a P1K but never ran it hard until after 300 miles or so, break in wasn't a thought.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
DMH

DMH

May 9, 2017
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
We got ours a couple weeks ago. First outing, played with it, hammered on it, seen what it could do and enjoyed the new toy.

Didn't realize it till we got it home. We put 165 miles on it during it's first outing.

Did the first service yesterday and the oil looked just about new.

I wouldn't sweat it. Take it out and enjoy your new ride

We have a 1000-5 also. One thing I did find out, you will cover a lot more ground with R as compared to the Pioneer. The miles add up a lot quicker. :)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Some basic Talon info -

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I broke in both my Honda P1k and my Talon this way: I put 20 or so continuous easy minutes with a lot of shifting and then let it cool back down. Then I went out and put another 20 or so minutes of full throttle and high revs. Let it cool down. Then did all fluid changes from front to rear and have had nothing but flawless miles on them all.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!