Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to Honda UTV's.....I need some advice. I really like the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and I have test drove the Deluxe and the LE. The LE definitely has a smoother ride and I would attribute that to the Fox suspension. However, is it worth the money?

At this moment I can buy a brand new 2017 LE from a dealer for $17,200. His 2018 is $18,600.

I can also buy a 2018 Deluxe for $15,000.

My question is which is the better deal in your guys opinion? The 2017 LE seems like the better deal and it literally brand new from Honda. They did put the heat deflector beneath the driver seat but other than that everything else is stock. Is there any difference in the 2018 model LE I should be aware of? From what I have researched so far the heat deflector was a big fix. They look like the same machine to me but before I make my decision I wanted to ask the experts.

Also, What about going with a deluxe over an LE.....Is it more cost efficient to buy a deluxe and upgrade myself?

Any advice is welcome guys...I need some good direction here. Thanks!

P.S. I'll be using the vehicle for hunting and trail riding....

On the 2017 LE make sure it was built after July 20th 2017, if it was built before then it probably needs the clutch update campaign on it.

P1000 - VERIFIED - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update!

If it already has the updated clutch cover or update done, it is your best value.

Over 2000 miles on my 2018. LE not a single issue, love it.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
J

JTW

I guess I didn’t understand what you were saying when you said 800$ get the year newer le.
I understand 800 diff between 18dx with fox and 17le but 18le and 18dx are 2200 different (including fox) for a difference of 1400 above 17le
I’m saying but the 17 LE.. there’s $800 difference between it and the deluxe if you add Fox shocks to the deluxe.

J

JTW

I guess I didn’t understand what you were saying when you said 800$ get the year newer le.
I understand 800 diff between 18dx with fox and 17le but 18le and 18dx are 2200 different (including fox) for a difference of 1400 above 17le
I thought I read the deluxe as a 2016.. that’s where the confusion is

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I thought I read the deluxe as a 2016.. that’s where the confusion is
Gotcha. I kept trying to figure that out, you had me looking for a bit lol.

Reactions: sharp
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't forget about the time and headache that is involved swapping and adding accessories.
Headache?.. drinking beer in the garage and playing with tools on your toy. That’s my kind of fun when I’m strapped home. I also like adding my own accessories to fit my style. Who doesn’t like buying s*** for the Honda? Lol.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think I'm uniquely qualified to answer this question.

I owned a 2016 P1K-3 EPS for 2 years, it ran flawlessly as a golf cart on my property. Fast forward to 2018 and I joined an association POA with tons of trail riding available. I took the 2016 P1K-3 there and it was great, I did however, see the need to up grade and sold the 2016 and bought a 2018 P1K-5 LE and love it! The i4WD worked great and was a respectful ride among other UTV's (like Can Am's, RZR's and the super modified in a mud/sand environment) but, I needed to lift it. Since I added 4" Portals and 30" tires on 14" wheels, I've never been out of turf mode except for real bad mud, only for a the short stretch to get out and back into the normal hard core riding. I have over 6 months of every weekend (sometimes Saturday and Sunday) riding and I'm in everywhere the Polaris/Can Am's lifted with 33"-36" tires go and all with amazement from the competition! I'm talking hard core riding, not "tooling around" with hundreds of ATV''s, UTV's and buggies.

I also have a 2018 P1K-3 EPS that we just bought and put the stock LE wheels and tires on, it keeps up with us with our son riding, obviously he wants Portals....

To the i4WD, I love it and yes, I do worry that it's another electrical problem waiting to happen but, it pulls like a son of a b****! Put that sucker in i4WD and you're walking out of anything other than rubbing the frame, that's where the winch comes in. I can see problems if you wear out your brakes but, I plan on putting on brass pads when that happens. I usually never need brakes with Portals but think about the day will come, you'll be stuck if you have worn out brakes.

Answer to the question: Newer LE every day, you're not talking about a huge amount of money and not only is the LE capable, it looks better!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Headache?.. drinking beer in the garage and playing with tools on your toy. That’s my kind of fun when I’m strapped home. I also like adding my own accessories to fit my style. Who doesn’t like buying s*** for the Honda? Lol.
Worst addiction I’ve ever had. I guess it’s better then gambling or smoking crack but still expensive

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think I'm uniquely qualified to answer this question.

I owned a 2016 P1K-3 EPS for 2 years, it ran flawlessly as a golf cart on my property. Fast forward to 2018 and I joined an association POA with tons of trail riding available. I took the 2016 P1K-3 there and it was great, I did however, see the need to up grade and sold the 2016 and bought a 2018 P1K-5 LE and love it! The i4WD worked great and was a respectful ride among other UTV's (like Can Am's, RZR's and the super modified in a mud/sand environment) but, I needed to lift it. Since I added 4" Portals and 30" tires on 14" wheels, I've never been out of turf mode except for real bad mud, only for a the short stretch to get out and back into the normal hard core riding. I have over 6 months of every weekend (sometimes Saturday and Sunday) riding and I'm in everywhere the Polaris/Can Am's lifted with 33"-36" tires go and all with amazement from the competition! I'm talking hard core riding, not "tooling around" with hundreds of ATV''s, UTV's and buggies.

I also have a 2018 P1K-3 EPS that we just bought and put the stock LE wheels and tires on, it keeps up with us with our son riding, obviously he wants Portals....

To the i4WD, I love it and yes, I do worry that it's another electrical problem waiting to happen but, it pulls like a son of a b****! Put that sucker in i4WD and you're walking out of anything other than rubbing the frame, that's where the winch comes in. I can see problems if you wear out your brakes but, I plan on putting on brass pads when that happens. I usually never need brakes with Portals but think about the day will come, you'll be stuck if you have worn out brakes.

Answer to the question: Newer LE every day, you're not talking about a huge amount of money and not only is the LE capable, it looks better!

advertisement
J

JTW

The Deluxe is a 2018 model, plus the 800 buck savings will pay for the skids.
Not to mention.. bumper, a arm gaurds and skids... you could sell the gaurds and plate and pay for the uhmw skids. Then they’re the same price. So.... it comes back to what I said in the very beginning.. do you want i4wd or not? But if we’re talking about best “value” the 17LE is the better buy.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes headache.. the one you have from drinking beer the night before working on the rig. lol I guess I should have made that statement clearer.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to mention.. bumper, a arm gaurds and skids... you could sell the gaurds and plate and pay for the uhmw skids. Then they’re the same price. So.... it comes back to what I said in the very beginning.. do you want i4wd or not? But if we’re talking about best “value” the 17LE is the better buy.
Yall crazy. The only way to compare to two is not the accessories it's how much would it cost to put i4wd on a deluxe. lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes headache.. the one you have from drinking beer the night before working on the rig. lol I guess I should have made that statement clearer.
Bhahahaha. Well we’d get that headache sitting watching tv or working on the machine. Machine is more fun because we all know each other because of that:)

Reactions: Tigermark and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey.. let’s not forget the $1800 LE panels.. I’d sell them and buy some metallic silver and pocket $800
If I started over I’d get that damn yellow. But I really like the new silver too

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I still like my metallic silver best... the painted looks good but I just know it wouldn’t hold up for me.
I don’t know what you’re talking about
5243BC55 9735 40E0 83A7 BCB75977DF05

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!