P1000 New to Honda UTV Need Advice....Please

G

gator808

Dec 6, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to Honda UTV's.....I need some advice. I really like the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and I have test drove the Deluxe and the LE. The LE definitely has a smoother ride and I would attribute that to the Fox suspension. However, is it worth the money?

At this moment I can buy a brand new 2017 LE from a dealer for $17,200. His 2018 is $18,600.

I can also buy a 2018 Deluxe for $15,000.

My question is which is the better deal in your guys opinion? The 2017 LE seems like the better deal and it literally brand new from Honda. They did put the heat deflector beneath the driver seat but other than that everything else is stock. Is there any difference in the 2018 model LE I should be aware of? From what I have researched so far the heat deflector was a big fix. They look like the same machine to me but before I make my decision I wanted to ask the experts.

Also, What about going with a deluxe over an LE.....Is it more cost efficient to buy a deluxe and upgrade myself?

Any advice is welcome guys...I need some good direction here. Thanks!

P.S. I'll be using the vehicle for hunting and trail riding....

Reactions: sharp
J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 1000-3 eps is super smooth with the stock suspension, so it really comes down to you wanting the Fox suspension. I know lots of guys here upgrade to the fox shocks anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 2017 1000-3 EPS is the best of all worlds. It costs less, has less electronics to go wrong, and a lot of aftermarket goodies are available. I drove the 1000-5 and it was the same ride as mine, but $2 K more.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
For 2200 difference I’d say yes but that is year older not same year so resale and loan value is off that amount, for 3600 difference personally I’d say no. I have no problems with the diff loc, and shocks are only 1400. Front bumper I like, only 300, but many like to choose their bumper anyways. The factory skid on either imo should be swapped out.
Its more of a personal preference and you can’t go wrong either way, both good machines

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Tigermark
G

gator808

Dec 6, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For 2200 difference I’d say yes but that is year older not same year so resale and loan value is off that amount, for 3600 difference personally I’d say no. I have no problems with the diff loc, and shocks are only 1400. Front bumper I like, only 300, but many like to choose their bumper anyways. The factory skid on either imo should be swapped out.
Its more of a personal preference and you can’t go wrong either way, both good machines
I would agree with you on the price difference. My concern that it was a year older really two years old now but from what I have seen on resale value with these UTV's is primarily based on hours/miles and how beat up it is. Since the model hasn't changed much from '16 I think they will hold up pretty well but I still see your point.

I'm curious why you would think the skid plate on the LE should be swapped out? If you were to swap it out what should I look at?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I would agree with you on the price difference. My concern that it was a year older really two years old now but from what I have seen on resale value with these UTV's is primarily based on hours/miles and how beat up it is. Since the model hasn't changed much from '16 I think they will hold up pretty well but I still see your point.

I'm curious why you would think the skid plate on the LE should be swapped out? If you were to swap it out what should I look at?
Depending on what you’re doing,the Honda alum is a little light and full of holes but for sure better then thin thong that comes on dx. Aftermarket has much better stuff, Uhmw is awesome for skids and the alum is much more protective.
Resale on the 5 seater is really good because it’s the only one that’s small but obvious you’d loose some because of year
Like I said though it really depends on what you’re looking for and you’re needs. You’re doing it right by getting as much info as you can before purchasing. That’s smart
As far as buying a machine more ready to ride out the box LE is that.

Last edited:
advertisement
J

JTW

We’re talking an $800 difference between the two if he adds Fox shocks to the deluxe. For $800 get the year newer LE with all the additions. He can sell the skid plate and put that $$ towards a uhmw.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We’re talking an $800 difference between the two if he adds Fox shocks to the deluxe. For $800 get the year newer LE with all the additions. He can sell the skid plate and put that $$ towards a uhmw.
That math doesn’t add up but I do get your point

Reactions: sharp and Tigermark
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
All depends on if you want the i4wd. Personally I’d go with the Deluxe and add Fox shocks. CP is correct, you have to add skid to either model. Everything else is typically personalized by each individual based on there tastes and riding style.

G

gator808

Dec 6, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All depends on if you want the i4wd. Personally I’d go with the Deluxe and add Fox shocks. CP is correct, you have to add skid to either model. Everything else is typically personalized by each individual based on there tastes and riding style.

Is there anybody having issues with the i4wd? I know it’s electronic and that can always cause problems.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
15,000 + 1400= 16,400

$17,200-16,400= $800
I guess I didn’t understand what you were saying when you said 800$ get the year newer le.
I understand 800 diff between 18dx with fox and 17le but 18le and 18dx are 2200 different (including fox) for a difference of 1400 above 17le

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!