HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Hello all,
A couple years ago I saw two Honda Pioneer 500s at the campsite across from me at Warm Lake Campground, located near Cascade, Idaho. One was red and one was blue. They intrigued me with their compact size, but I truly thought they were the most unusual looking atv/utv/?? whatever kind of vehicle I had ever seen. I come from the atv world, own four atvs and have been riding a Yamaha Grizzly 700cc atv for years, and am used to riding pretty aggressively. I asked the folks that owned the Pioneers all kinds of questions, mostly about how they handle the trails. I then researched the heck out of the little utvs for the next year and decided to finally purchase one. Of course, the next model year offered the 520 with more power and a dump bed with better shocks, but I still like the 2020.
I only had the Pioneer 500 out on the trails a few times but I am impressed with how it manages the trails. I am in my late 60's and don't ride as fast as I used to, so the Pioneer suits me fine. I don't even miss the power steering, but might add it later. The power it has for the small displacement was a pleasant surprise. Going up steep hills is no problem.
What I really, really like is that my wife likes to ride with me now. She never was comfortable riding on the back of the big grizz, or riding her 350 grizzly beside me. Even more shocking is that she likes driving the Pioneer 500, and now claims it is "her ride." Since she allowed me to spend the cash to purchase it, I will let her think it is "her ride." She likes the automatic mode and I like taking it through the gears.
Two of my biggest complaints after first riding it, is that 1. the tires suck, and 2. the shocks suck. I put 26" bighorn 2.0 tires on the 500 almost immediately, and have some front Walker Evans shocks ordered for the front. I also added a 4500 lbs. winch, a half windshield, Honda soft top, black center caps for the stock wheels, some awesome side mirrors, a rota-pax gas container and mount, a roll bar storage bag, and some large plastic tool boxes for the rack.
I am anxious to learn all I can from all you folks about this great little machine.
Idahotruckman

View attachment 255209
WELCOME ! Glad to see you got the FASTEST VERSION ! blue ones are fastest ya know

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Hello all,
A couple years ago I saw two Honda Pioneer 500s at the campsite across from me at Warm Lake Campground, located near Cascade, Idaho. One was red and one was blue. They intrigued me with their compact size, but I truly thought they were the most unusual looking atv/utv/?? whatever kind of vehicle I had ever seen. I come from the atv world, own four atvs and have been riding a Yamaha Grizzly 700cc atv for years, and am used to riding pretty aggressively. I asked the folks that owned the Pioneers all kinds of questions, mostly about how they handle the trails. I then researched the heck out of the little utvs for the next year and decided to finally purchase one. Of course, the next model year offered the 520 with more power and a dump bed with better shocks, but I still like the 2020.
I only had the Pioneer 500 out on the trails a few times but I am impressed with how it manages the trails. I am in my late 60's and don't ride as fast as I used to, so the Pioneer suits me fine. I don't even miss the power steering, but might add it later. The power it has for the small displacement was a pleasant surprise. Going up steep hills is no problem.
What I really, really like is that my wife likes to ride with me now. She never was comfortable riding on the back of the big grizz, or riding her 350 grizzly beside me. Even more shocking is that she likes driving the Pioneer 500, and now claims it is "her ride." Since she allowed me to spend the cash to purchase it, I will let her think it is "her ride." She likes the automatic mode and I like taking it through the gears.
Two of my biggest complaints after first riding it, is that 1. the tires suck, and 2. the shocks suck. I put 26" bighorn 2.0 tires on the 500 almost immediately, and have some front Walker Evans shocks ordered for the front. I also added a 4500 lbs. winch, a half windshield, Honda soft top, black center caps for the stock wheels, some awesome side mirrors, a rota-pax gas container and mount, a roll bar storage bag, and some large plastic tool boxes for the rack.
I am anxious to learn all I can from all you folks about this great little machine.
Idahotruckman

View attachment 255209
Welcome Idahotruckman! I too am new to the forum. Been a member for about two weeks now, but just did my first post yesterday. There are TONS of great info, tips and tricks throughout this forum. Although I have added relatively the same accessories as you (hard roof though), i plan on going with 27s. Don’t know about the walker shocks cause of how spendy they appear to be. But due to the info i read in this forum, i added 1.5 spacers to the rear (did notice an immediate difference), plan on 27s for tires and plan to mod the exhaust. Have to say I love the blue color 😉

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudwing
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all,
Idahotruckman

View attachment 255209
Welcome to the club. I started with a P500, they are great machines.

Reactions: CMB and Mudwing
Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome Idahotruckman! I too am new to the forum. Been a member for about two weeks now, but just did my first post yesterday. There are TONS of great info, tips and tricks throughout this forum. Although I have added relatively the same accessories as you (hard roof though), i plan on going with 27s. Don’t know about the walker shocks cause of how spendy they appear to be. But due to the info i read in this forum, i added 1.5 spacers to the rear (did notice an immediate difference), plan on 27s for tires and plan to mod the exhaust. Have to say I love the blue color 😉
Curious - what was the immediate difference you noticed when you installed spacers on just the back? What specific improvements were there? I only ask because I have 1.5" spacers I am going to install on just the rear for now. I am new at all of this

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Me too (new to this). So the only riding I have been doing Is around the block and in the back yard. I noticed my turn radius not as tight going into the back yard and the unit just felt more solid. That’s with spacers all around. I took off the front spacers after seeing the trailer rub when loading it up. I had bought these Erickson wheel tie down to put on my trailer.

RRogers

RRogers

Feb 17, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome aboard from North Idaho CDA
Your gonna love your new P5 they are a blast in the woods

Reactions: Backwoods
Raynman

Raynman

Sudo Flotation device inspector
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2019
Thumb area, Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another welcome from Michigan, enjoy the ride and be safe

Reactions: Backwoods
papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome, fellow Idahoan. You need to follow

P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?​

There is a lot of pictures and advice that you will find for your 500.

Reactions: RRogers
aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Eagle, ID checking in... welcome!

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Welcome from PA. Enjoy the ride. Life is better side by side. 😊

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!