BOX1

No electrical power

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Ok everyone. We have a 2014 700-4, and tonight I went to replace the original battery. Pulled out the old one put the new one in place. Hooked up the positive first then went to put the negative on and got a spark. I did not touch anything else together wrong to make that happen, but after hooking everything up, I have no power to anything at all. Turn the key on, no power to the dash. No lights, nothing anywhere. Could I have blown a fuse and if so, which one. I could look long and hard, but being -15 degrees in Michigan right now I don't have a lot of time with gloves off before my hands are frozen.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: swsebek and sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey.
Any chance the polarity got reversed?

Could be the main fuse. I'll have to dig up some info later if no one replies before then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Not to my knowledge, but dumber things have happened. I will check tomorrow. Too cold right now. Anything else you can dig up is appreciated.

Reactions: sharp
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Assuming the installed polarity is correct...
Id double check the polarity with a volt meter to make sure it's labeled right on the battery. Then check fuses.
I saw you ask this on Facebook. Be very cautious of the advice you follow. There are people blurting out advice that clearly don't know a damn thing.

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The spark when connecting is what concerns me. That usually indicates a draw of some sort. Start with the suggestions above and let us know.

Reactions: sharp
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I don't think the spark is anything to be concerned about, when you touched that ground lead, power instantly went to the dash display (the memory part, not the display power), the speed sensor and the voltage regulator, so one can expect a small spark. Hard for you to explain a small vs large spark, but it should not have blown a fuse. The only fuse that would give the dead bike would be the 40 amp main fuse, which is under the passenger seat in front of the battery.

This is assuming that the key was off when you hooked up the battery.

Last edited:
C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Wanted to let everyone know what happened. The battery I purchased had the polarities marked backwards. Negative was actually positive and so on. Tested the battery with my meter to find this out. Took the battery back and told them about it. They couldn't believe it either, so they tested it and sure enough. They gave me a different new battery, took an additional $25.00 off and gave me the main 40amp fuse that blew. Got the new battery home, all hooked up, put the new fuse in and everything is normal.
Also got my True Battery isolator in the mail today. Time to hook up my dual battery system.
Thanks to all for your help.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wanted to let everyone know what happened. The battery I purchased had the polarities marked backwards. Negative was actually positive and so on. Tested the battery with my meter to find this out. Took the battery back and told them about it. They couldn't believe it either, so they tested it and sure enough. They gave me a different new battery, took an additional $25.00 off and gave me the main 40amp fuse that blew. Got the new battery home, all hooked up, put the new fuse in and everything is normal.
Also got my True Battery isolator in the mail today. Time to hook up my dual battery system.
Thanks to all for your help.

Glad you got it sorted out.

When you work on stuff long enough you learn that the "impossible" actually happens on a pretty regular basis.