P500 no park

GaryG

GaryG

Oct 20, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 500
Why does the P500 not have a Park Gear?

When towing the P500 on a trailer should you use first gear and the park brake or Neutral and the park brake?

If parking on a hill is leaving the P500 in Neutral and setting the park brake enough?

C

Chooglin

When towing , I put it in "L" and parking break on , same for parking on a hill.

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
If I am not mistaken...Honda will tell you to just leave it in neutral and use parking brake...but most people it seems that I have seen, including myself, will usually leave it in 1st gear and apply brake. Although if you do this...some folks warn you to always put back in neutral before starting it back up!? Not sure about that one...I do it both ways depending if I think about it or not before I jump in and crank it up.

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Why does the P500 not have a Park Gear?

When towing the P500 on a trailer should you use first gear and the park brake or Neutral and the park brake?

If parking on a hill is leaving the P500 in Neutral and setting the park brake enough?
For me, I leave it in 1st and set the parking brake when transporting in the back of my pickup. As long as the hill isn't terribly steep, I would leave it neutral and set parking brake, sometimes running and sometimes not. For hunting, I wouldn't have a SXS without a parking brake. It's great!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If I am not mistaken...Honda will tell you to just leave it in neutral and use parking brake...but most people it seems that I have seen, including myself, will usually leave it in 1st gear and apply brake. Although if you do this...some folks warn you to always put back in neutral before starting it back up!? Not sure about that one...I do it both ways depending if I think about it or not before I jump in and crank it up.
P5 won't start..in gear..
Applying foot on brake..p5
starts in any gear...
I tow mine...in neutral..
with park brake

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
If parking on a hill, shift into the gear for the direction you do NOT want to roll. Leaving it in gear only saves it from rolling in one direction. So if you think it will roll backwards, leave it in reverse, if you think it will roll forward leave it in "L".

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
While towing leave it in neutral with parking brake. Otherwise every road impact and being transferred into your transmission. It doesn't need that. And use lots of straps... Like 4. Redundancy, its never good when your like sh**! that last strap was holding it on!

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If parking on a hill, shift into the gear for the direction you do NOT want to roll. Leaving it in gear only saves it from rolling in one direction. So if you think it will roll backwards, leave it in reverse, if you think it will roll forward leave it in "L".
Park brake...Wether in gear or not
...keeps it from going...any direction

Reactions: R-Lamm
RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Carry a big rock...
put behind..or in
...front.of tire...
caveman style
...hahaha

Its funny but I do this sometimes too. When its a tight trail and you have to park way over and if it rolls anywhere it will crash down a 200 foot cliff and into the river. Possible squashing yourself at the bottom cause your down there fishing...

Reactions: rocmar and R-Lamm
RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 20170609 142012

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Kool pic..
you roll off that
...your fish/ Bear bait
lol yep. That is the narrowest part of the trail, which is just wider than the P500. Now that I have 1.5" spacers all around the pucker factor will likely increase

Reactions: rocmar
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
P5 won't start..in gear..
Applying foot on brake..p5
starts in any gear...
I tow mine...in neutral..
with park brake
I have gotten into the habit of putting foot on brake when cranking anything without even thinking about it...so I have started it in 1st several times simply by applying and not realizing it until I go to put it in the gear it is already in! :)

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
lol yep. That is the narrowest part of the trail, which is just wider than the P500. Now that I have 1.5" spacers all around the pucker factor will likely increase
Ride safe...bro
...s***..you might wanna
ride..with a parachute. ..
lol

Reactions: R-Lamm and RydeAK
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
From the manual:

Do not tow your Honda SXSbehind a car or other vehicle except on a trailer.

When you transport your Honda SXS,we recommend that you carry the vehicle in its normal operating position (on all four wheels).

Follow these procedures:
1. Set the parking brake, and the drive select lever in 4WD.
2. Secure the vehicle with tie-down straps in the areas shown.
  • Suitable tie-down straps are available from your dealer.
  • Ordinary rope is not recommended because it can stretch
    under load. Using tie-down straps in any other areas can damage yourHonda SXS.
3. Rock the vehicle back and forth to make sure the tie-down straps are tight and the vehicle is secure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!