P1000m3 offical clutch improvement letter

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
how can you tell if the dealer does the clutch improvement will the new clutch cover look different than the one that is on the 2016 or 2017 pioneer now. just wondering in case the dealer try's to pull a fast one because I took mine in for the seat heat improvement and I didn't get 10 miles down the road and the dealer called me and said that my pioneer already had the seat heat improvement on it. I have a 2017 model and I think the build date was January 2017 and I bought it in May 2017.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I got my letter yesterday!
going to wait and see how it goes, or I start having slippage. I have some time

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
how can you tell if the dealer does the clutch improvement will the new clutch cover look different than the one that is on the 2016 or 2017 pioneer now. just wondering in case the dealer try's to pull a fast one because I took mine in for the seat heat improvement and I didn't get 10 miles down the road and the dealer called me and said that my pioneer already had the seat heat improvement on it. I have a 2017 model and I think the build date was January 2017 and I bought it in May 2017.
My17 LE had a different rubber shield when I got it also. but it was not the same as the on Honda is installing for the campaign.
look under your seat, does the rubber have a round hole in it so you can check the subtrans oil level? if it does its NOT the latest version.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What about the clutch update how can you tell if they change it out to the new clutch update does it look different

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What about the clutch update how can you tell if they change it out to the new clutch update does it look different
There is a "bump" on the new style clutch housing. Click on the link of the second post of this thread to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tramguage1
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
Dealer I bought mine from closed, called another, guy was a total dick bag. Told me take it where I bought it for update. I will never buy anything from them, garrels in pontiac illinois. I am gonna run mine another year, I just don't feel great taking it to a far away big city dealer.

Bam85

Bam85

Feb 7, 2017
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stopped by my local Honda dealer in San Diego to get the clutch upgrade. I have a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe. They looked up my VIN and said it wasn't eligible. WTF? I never saw a letter either.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bam85 if you read the clutch improvement bulletin that Honda put out I think it says all 2016 and 2017 pioneers are eligible for the clutch improvement I would call Honda or check with another dealer I believe I would call Honda and ask about the letter

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I stopped by my local Honda dealer in San Diego to get the clutch upgrade. I have a 2016 1000-5 Deluxe. They looked up my VIN and said it wasn't eligible. WTF? I never saw a letter either.

I have a 2017 10005 LE and just got a letter the other day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My dealer ordered 2 kits for me. When they came in I made an appointment. Took my 3 seat in at 9 in the morning and got it back after lunch. I took my 5 seat in at 10 and got it back at 4. I did a good clean up before I took them in. Its takes awhile to remove the plastic floor parts on the 5 seater but I wanted to do a good clean up. I just hate working on a dirty machine and most dealers will have a cleaning charge if its a mess. By now most dealers have installed the several kits so it is an easy update for them. MY 3 seat had 11,800 miles on it and my 5 seat had 1,500 miles on it. Both run like new and are smoother on take off now. Nothing but oil changes so far and nothing but failures and belt replacements on my 8 belt drive models. Had to replace the complete belt drive on both of my RZR's and Polaris charged $250 plus labor for the 2014 RZR 1000 belt drive update. I think the extreme use by many of the guys on this forum helped get this update in the fast lane. All the manufacture's monitor the forums to see problems early and its difficult to test for all uses. I expect the Sport Models will be tested well and probably in the South near the factory. Its going to be an interesting year.

Reactions: elkguide
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
well I was going to stop by the Honda dealer on my way to work tomorrow afternoon to set up a time to get the clutch update done. well my son drove it this weekend and said he thought the clutch was acting up. the pioneer only has 40 miles on it I have had it since last May just been riding in fields and the snow we had nothing fast just trying to break it in and get 100 miles on it for the first service. I was hoping to get the clutch update done before any problems happened. any thoughts I haven't driven it to see if I can feel what my son is talking about.

Bam85

Bam85

Feb 7, 2017
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did get a call back from the dealer. They said it was covered. I told them it was a "recall" when it was technically a "product update". Waiting for them to get the parts in and they'll do it.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My question is did Honda not have any problems with these clutchs when they were doing all the testing on the pioneer before they released them to the public. It's hard to believe the problems other people are having and it never happened to the people doing the testing at Honda or they did have problems and just never sayed anything about it and just released the pioneer anyway.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don’t know man, there is a LOT of people that have had no issues. Some people thought their machine was great until a couple people had an issue and put ideas in their head and that got everyone....well lots of people all concerned when most probably didn’t need to be.

Now, their accessories, how well they worked and the effect they had on the machine is another story.

Reactions: adnoh
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Most of the failures were extreme use where the clutch is slipping. Large tires made it worse. 2 guys from my local dealer were hunting and driving at 3 mph in high range where the clutch is slipping. They use low range now and no problems at 3 mph. I think the clutch is slipping at 5 mph or slightly less in high range. If you go in manual mode and watch the rpm as you slow down you can see the rpm when the computer will down shift automatically to prevent clutch slipping or damage. I think its just slightly below 2,000 rpm.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Like I said in a pervisos post my son said that the clutch felt like it acting up and it just has 35 miles on it I am going to drive it around Friday to see if I can feel it before I take it in for the clutch update. It's sad that if someone else drives it you have to tell them how to drive it Honda should put a label on the dash stating what gear to use at what speed . be nice to just get in it and go and not worry about burning up a clutch I you would think a machine with only 35 miles on it there wouldn't be a clutch problem and like I said it's just riding around trying to get 100 miles on it for the first service no hard riding.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At 35 miles, your clutch isn't close to being broken/settled in. My rig seemed a little rough for the first 200 miles or so. Totally different rig today with over 500 miles on it. I read on here about "all of the issues" and I started to be careful so that I wouldn't hurt it. That just didn't work for me and as soon as I started to just drive my machine, it really came into its own and now it really is amazing. Am I going to get the "improvements" done...... absolutely!!!! But in the meanwhile, I bought my rig to drive/work/play and mostly enjoy and that is exactly what I am doing.

GET OUT THERE AND RIDE.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but I got a letter in last week and my brother called a dealer in Lafayette, Louisiana that is closer than the one I bought it from. The tech said that they would be changing the clutch housing. This will allow more oil flow to the clutches to keep them cooler. I plan on bringing it in to have done but not till after hunting season. He also said 4 to 5 hour job and not till February because they are waiting on parts.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With two thousand miles on our rig now, you cannot even feel it shifting. We've never had any clutch issues and I'm reluctant to take it in for any upgrades... my reluctance comes from some unknown jerk off opening up the guts of our pioneer.
Now ask me about the howling of the rear end differential, holy smoke, that thing is so noisy that sounds like a 41 Dodge pickup.

Reactions: 0860silverado
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!