P1000m3 offical clutch improvement letter

R

RobertwHarley

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2016
Huntsville, Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got my letter to fix the heat issue. No word about a clutch repair.
Hi all,
I have a very good relationship with my dealer and they called me on both of these warranty issues. The heat and the clutch repair was done on one visit and no letter. Also, if your near an oil change, you can get that done for free as it's part of the clutch repair. It seems the oil holes were too small and that the fix was to make bigger holes and pump up the volume of oil going to that line. They do advise though that if you are doing a lot of below 30km that you use the lower clutch system vs. the main. Having said that, I had just some blueing on my 1,3,5 side and they replaced it no questions

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer I bought mine from closed, called another, guy was a total dick bag. Told me take it where I bought it for update. I will never buy anything from them, garrels in pontiac illinois. I am gonna run mine another year, I just don't feel great taking it to a far away big city dealer.
I went there last year to price out a 2016 p1k delux he was 1100 dollars more than I could get it from down south. He said have a good trip and don’t bring it here for us to work on. Anyway got it from world of power sport in Decatur but after dealing with them I don’t know if I would trust them to air up my tires. They also now own the Bloomington store. I might take it to wateska or Aurora
But know nothing about there service dept. if u find a Honda dealer with a good service dept would you let me know. Wateska said they could only put upgrade clutch fix on only if clutch shows damage and they have to sent pictures to Honda to get fix approved.

K

KirkK

Nov 19, 2016
Buckeye, AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I went there last year to price out a 2016 p1k delux he was 1100 dollars more than I could get it from down south. He said have a good trip and don’t bring it here for us to work on. Anyway got it from world of power sport in Decatur but after dealing with them I don’t know if I would trust them to air up my tires. They also now own the Bloomington store. I might take it to wateska or Aurora
But know nothing about there service dept. if u find a Honda dealer with a good service dept would you let me know. Wateska said they could only put upgrade clutch fix on only if clutch shows damage and they have to sent pictures to Honda to get fix approved.

Stevo:
Dealers cannot refuse warranty service for equipment purchased elsewhere. Doing so would jeopardize their franchise/dealership status. I'd take this opportunity to contact Honda directly to inform them how you've been treated. I can vouch for the dealer in Watseka. Russ (the owner) is a good guy, as are his service people. I've had them service both Honda and Kawasaki bikes that I purchased elsewhere, and they were very accommodating.

Reactions: Arizona
B

Billybobb3

Aug 1, 2015
Good luck. Bought mine there to save a few bucks. Worst experience ever.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought mine a couple of months back from same dealership. I'm curious what was bad about the experience. Good to know what to expect.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda needs to verify for themselves rogue dealerships behavior and get them in line...like yesterday. Brand loyalty is every bit about your dealer experience...not just reliability and fit and finish. They WILL loose market share if poor dealers are not leashed in. Honda just isn't the only game in town anymore.

Honda needs to take a lesson from Harley Davidson. Harley dealers could care less where you purchased your machine...or if you are an out-of-towner and on the road...with a problem, they are KNOWN for putting you to the head of the line when at all possible to get you back on the road, warranty needs or not...I've seen this personally, all over the country from riding with groups, eventually someone needs dealer help.

BUT...HD only carries ONE brand...HD, where Honda dealers might have Kawasaki, Yamaha or whatever...

I think the Honda's rogue dealers may not have such a good relation with mother Honda because they have other eggs in their basket,

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stopped by southern Honda powersports on my way to work today and set up a time for the clutch update they service guy said no problem they would check everything out and if there was any problems they would let me know so I am taking it to them Saturday he said they had the clutch kits in stock

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stevo:
Dealers cannot refuse warranty service for equipment purchased elsewhere. Doing so would jeopardize their franchise/dealership status. I'd take this opportunity to contact Honda directly to inform them how you've been treated. I can vouch for the dealer in Watseka. Russ (the owner) is a good guy, as are his service people. I've had them service both Honda and Kawasaki bikes that I purchased elsewhere, and they were very accommodating.
I agree Honda needs to know. But feel it would not do me any good. Them being PO at me I would not trust them to work on my machine. They are a small family run dealer who has been around for years. The Honda store in Joliet IL. has just closed there doors they said the internet sales put them
Out of business. The Aurora IL store has told me they don’t know how much longer they can keep there doors open also because of the internet sales.

M

Medina5

Sep 24, 2017
Medina, Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had my clutch update done a month ago. Only had a 100 miles on my '17 p1k5. Used twice so far. 1st gear clutch engagement is much smoother in low and high range. It had a jerky engagement before at light throttle. Most noticeable when pulling into garage or loading on to my car trailer

talonwagon

talonwagon

Formerly JHolt
Dec 31, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Wanting to know if anyone has had problems getting the update heat shield installed at a specific middle Tn Honda dealer? When I received my letter, I called the next day to schedule an appointment, been waiting for a couple of months. Didn't buy the machine there, thinking I may be getting the run around. Also just received the clutch update letter. Thought about calling the Honda dealer in Franklin(Cool Springs). Has anyone had service done there?

advertisement
BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Had my 016 at the dealership for the cabin heat issue / factory fix & also have the letter for the clutch issue. I say "unfortunately" my unit does not have a clutch slippage issue & the dealership would not pursue the factory repair. Reason I say unfortunate is eventually it'll probably be an issue & be out of the time frame to have addressed via' this bulletin.
On the other hand almost 2K miles on it of pulling trailers & hauling 800 - 1K Lbs in the bed around the property & no clutch issues.

Matcnc

Matcnc

Sep 16, 2017
Southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good luck. Bought mine there to save a few bucks. Worst experience ever.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought mine from Southern Honda (Chattanooga). Other than the salesman. I have had no problems. He left me hanging for over an hour. I finally just walked out.
Just had the upgrade done on the clutch. Only drove it around the yard but it did seem to shift much better.

Matcnc

Matcnc

Sep 16, 2017
Southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
just talked to the Honda dealer where I bought my pioneer 1000 from and told them that I got the letter from Honda on the clutch improvement. the service department said no problem just bring it in they had the parts in stock and I told them I just had 30 miles on the pioneer and that I wanted to get the improvement done before I had any problems he said no problem. I bought it at southern Honda power sports in Chattanooga Tennessee. I am going to try and take it up there the next few weeks will let everyone know how it turns out.
They did mine this past Tuesday! It seems to shift much better. Took them 2 1/2 hours to do both the heat and the clutch product improvement

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone in Canada get the clutch improvement letter yet? Cannot get any action out of the dealer I bought from in Athabasca Alberta. Basically saying no letter, not action.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think if a dealer is complaining they are going out of business because of the internet, they are avoiding some other issue...

One cannot buy a bike or SxS online!

SxS and bikes and recreational vehicles are HOT items (always have been), and they're being purchased somewhere...

Ahhh, how about FRIENDLY, COURTEOUS dealers that are willing to work with buyers to offer fair purchase price and great/friendly/competent service after the sale. The internet is just another form of competition and the old school, grouchy, cigar chomping dealer that THOUGHT he had the local market locked in is doomed.

The dealers that follow this business model are sure to prosper and the latter will fail...done deal.

Reactions: ohanacreek
zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Called local dealer and had them order both the clutch upgrade and comfort kit. Are you guys with wheels and tires putting the stockers on before dropping it off? I have Outback Max tires so they are little extreme and dont want the dealer saying sorry, we cant install the clutch kit because you have wheels and tires.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Called local dealer and had them order both the clutch upgrade and comfort kit. Are you guys with wheels and tires putting the stockers on before dropping it off? I have Outback Max tires so they are little extreme and dont want the dealer saying sorry, we cant install the clutch kit because you have wheels and tires.
IF you still have stockers, throw them back on. I found with my dealer, it is easier to return to stock vs tell them about what I have done and why I did it the way I did.
The service manager called and tried to explain to me that the blue light on my isolator is going to drain my batteries, and that I should have him install some other system.

M

MEFreer

Oct 23, 2016
Shingle Springs CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not had the updates/ product improvement installs yet. I have aftermarket skid plates and heat shield. Has anyone had any grief from dealers with these types of mods installed when getting the improvements made? I don't want to take everything off to get the work done.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have an aftermarket skid plate on my pioneer the skid plates are made for easy service so that should not be a problem I also have an aftermarket heat shield under the seat but I took it off before I took it in for the heat shield update then I put the aftermarket heat shield back on no problem

I

Icecreammike

Aug 13, 2017
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
just got an official letter today from Honda stating that my 2017 pioneer 1000 was eligible for the product improvement. it states that the clutch improvement kit is suppose to let the NO.1 clutch run at lower temperatures. the letter also states how you should drive the pioneer to prevent these problems. the letter says the dealer will inspect your vehicle for NO. 1 clutch slippage and install the clutch improvement kit if necessary. it says the campaign ends September 30, 2020 or at the end of the factory limited warranty period or whichever comes first.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!