Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Regarding the trail conditions, most all of them are actually county roads which are maintained throughout the summer. The county has a Cat D6R six way that they run all the trails over to the Hinsdale county line. Silverton and Lake City make much of their summer revenue from us so they keep them in good shape. Get a FunTreks map for a good hardcopy of them. Lots of good info on it (distances, difficulty, etc.).
For those who have studied the system before we go, My intention for first day out is to leave Silverton, maybe take a side trail up to a mine, go by Gladstone, up over Hurricane Pass, down to Lake Como, up over California Pass, down to Animas Forks, back to Picayune which leads over to CR 2 which has numerous takeoffs we can run depending remaining daylight. This will give get everyone's legs under them and give us an idea of how the group runs for doing the Alpine Loop later. So much to do, so little time! I have a working map in my head that I keep running through to make this as great of a ride for everyone as I can.
Wife and I and our friends coming with us in their 500 may try to run up Kendall Mountain Sunday afternoon if we arrive in time.
That all sounds great. Glad you have the experience with the trails there. And very nice that you’re organizing a fun ride for everyone!!! 😎

Where’s the best place to obtain a hard copy of the map you mentioned?

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That all sounds great. Glad you have the experience with the trails there. And very nice that you’re organizing a fun ride for everyone!!! 😎

Where’s the best place to obtain a hard copy of the map you mentioned?
Funtreks.com. Amazon also lists it
I also have the 'ATV Trails Guide, Colorado', ISBN # 978-1-934838-03-7. It is listed on ebay.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Funtreks.com. Amazon also lists it
I also have the 'ATV Trails Guide, Colorado', ISBN # 978-1-934838-03-7. It is listed on ebay.
Thank you...😊

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have only driven in, stopped for lunch, and driven back out from Silverton, so not familiar with their grocery and gas stations. Staying for 5 or six days, I need to know how well stocked their grocery store(s) is, and is there usually plenty of fuel supply, etc?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have only driven in, stopped for lunch, and driven back out from Silverton, so not familiar with their grocery and gas stations. Staying for 5 or six days, I need to know how well stocked their grocery store(s) is, and is there usually plenty of fuel supply, etc?
I’m thinking neither will be an issue on the supply side. But of course both will be cheaper purchased and brought with you. I’m sure Texan will come along with good details for you however. 👍

Reactions: Herbie
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, will probably bring most of the food with me, but, not knowing how far we will be travelling yet, I am not sure how much gas I will be using, and doubt I can carry that much fuel with me.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'd stock up in Durango, but, Silverton, has an excellent little grocery store which is well stocked. They have a fresh cut meat counter, fresh vegetables and fruit also. It may be a bit higher than Walmart, but one could easily stay supplied from them.

There are 2 gas stations in town, one at the town entrance (typical mini-mart), and then the Triangle Motel has all grades of gas.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure what's going on, but I have email notifications of new messages, but they aren't appearing on the page, even with a close and reopen.

Reactions: stellarpod
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not sure what's going on, but I have email notifications of new messages, but they aren't appearing on the page, even with a close and reopen.
And no error message at the site when you try to open.....🤔

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, if he posted in this thread and then deleted his post for some reason, you’d see it in an email but not here. I’m just not tech savvy enough to help you. Hopefully someone that is comes along...

D

DDDonkey

DDDonkey made a post that appears in my email but doesn't come up on the page...
Yes I posted and no I did not delete it. I was just wondering if we were able to take our buggies to the grocery store and gas stations or if we had to drive a separate vehicle.

Reactions: hoghead76
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I posted and no I did not delete it. I was just wondering if we were able to take our buggies to the grocery store and gas stations or if we had to drive a separate vehicle.
Grocery store and Triangle are within the OHV legal area. The mini mart at the Y is not. Never had a reason to go to it though.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So odd, I’m not seeing it.

Magleto

Magleto

and two stealthed rogues
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2017
Twin Lakes (Crescent), OK
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have a HAM radio on the way. After the discussion, I'm taking the chance and going to be an outlaw!

I'm sure you know you'll need an antenna for that radio. Have you found a good one and a mount? Please post a link if so. I let my HAM license expire a long time ago, not sure if I have time to re-test and get a new callsign before the trip, so I think I'll follow your plan.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure you know you'll need an antenna for that radio. Have you found a good one and a mount? Please post a link if so. I let my HAM license expire a long time ago, not sure if I have time to re-test and get a new callsign before the trip, so I think I'll follow your plan.
The one that came with it has no cord so I have to find one which will work. Not knowing what I'm doing, I haven't found one yet.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The one that came with it has no cord so I have to find one which will work. Not knowing what I'm doing, I haven't found one yet.
which radio did you get?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

I've been getting similar emails showing new messages and then not showing any new messages (on the bell icon) when I refresh. I can go to the Forums tab, and access "Watched" from the flyout menu and the new messages do appear there. No idea what's causing it, but it appears to be tied to the proper function (or lack thereof) of the notification "bell" facility at the upper right.

Steve

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
which radio did you get?
As it came with the mount, cord, and some other accessories which the TYT did not show, I purchased a Radioddity QB25 VHF/UHF 25 Watt. Likely same setup and design as the TYT model. I have FM radio on it, but have NO idea about anything else on it. I'll acquire an antenna shortly.
I direct wired it to my battery (internal fused) and I am assuming internal memory drained it... Don't want to put it on key switch for engine off operation.

Reactions: Tramguage1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!