Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you, CID.... I had not given this enough thought. Will do our best to prepare.

Silverton is at about 9300ft. Does the group riding plan work our way to 12k+ ft gradually during the week or are we topping out on Monday?
We’ll be hitting 18K first thing Monday morning.....🤣🤣

Reactions: Biteme and TimG
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
An important note - when you're coming from lower altitudes, altitude sickness can become a problem and usually presents itself above 10k feet. It starts as a headache, everyone should be asking themselves, their significant others and their kids "Do you feel ok, are you getting a headache?" The only 'cure' is to get back down below 10k feet as soon as possible. It can be limited by restricting yourselves to low exertion movements, get out, pee, get back in. :) No long hikes unless yer young and tough. Don't let your kids run themselves to exhaustion up there and it will take half as long. There are things you can do before the trip to help limit the effects but since I live here, I've forgotten them. One important point is to keep yourself hydrated, the humidity 'up there' is like 1% and just breathing (usually heavily) will dehydrate a human quickly.

My apologies if this video seems egotistical (not my intent and I'm not selling anything :)) and this isn't even the Silverton area but it is the Colorado high country and similar to what you'll see.

High altitudes are no joke. I got "High Altitude Pulmonary Ademia" {google HAPE} last year and had to cut our vacation short. The only real clue I had was severe back pain and fatigue. This year I'm going to stay over night at an elevation of less than 8000 feet before I go any higher to let my body adjust a little more gradual. Too high too fast can be dangerous. This can affect ANYONE who travels to a lower elevation and then back above around 8200 feet is the magic number I've read.

Last edited:
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a stock rear I can bring along if you want, it is on a deluxe rim.
Thanks, but you probably need it for the ride, too. I would like to purchase one if anyone has one, or can get one and bring to ride. I can purchase a tire before hand, and bring it along to, and have it mounted in Silverton.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, CID.... I had not given this enough thought. Will do our best to prepare.

Silverton is at about 9300ft. Does the group riding plan work our way to 12k+ ft gradually during the week or are we topping out on Monday?
My first day route plan includes Hurricane and California passes which are both almost 13K. We can adjust if needed and run some lower trails but none are far off 11K. Everything is UP from Silverton! In our 4 years so far, Sarah has only had a headache at altitude in '17 while she was pregnant :rolleyes:.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks, but you probably need it for the ride, too. I would like to purchase one if anyone has one, or can get one and bring to ride. I can purchase a tire before hand, and bring it along to, and have it mounted in Silverton.
Let me know what you need Herbie ...... 🤷‍♂️
I can bring you either a front or a rear or both, on deluxe wheels from my 2018 P1K-5........

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
High altitudes are no joke. I got "High Altitude Pulmonary Ademia" {google HAPE} last year and had to cut our vacation short. The only real clue I had was severe back pain and fatigue. This year I'm going to stay over night at an elevation of less than 8000 feet before I go any higher to let my body adjust a little more gradual. Too high too fast can be dangerous. This can affect ANYONE who travels to a lower elevation and then back above around 8200 feet is the magic number I've read.
A few years back when I was still able to ride my Goldwing. I spent a week in Frisco, Co. and rode out of there in different directions daily. On one of the days, I rode up to Pikes Peak and experienced Altitude sickness just after reaching tree line elevation. I had to stop for a while just to get myself back to be able to adjust. I then made it to the Summit but could barely make to the Monument before making the trek back down. Us flat landers need to take our time when out in those elevations.

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If Arkansas 'mountain' trails are all you've ever been on, you're in for a treat! Being alpine, there aren't trees to block one's views. You can literally see for MILES! If you remember tower hill or high point at Wolfpen, they are only a weak taste of what you'll see there.
We were at around 6 thousand feet in Tennessee. Lol

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Want to sell me a front?

I've got a new 27" tire on a 12" ITP steel wheel I bought both new for a spare if that would work for you.

IMG 0521 IMG 0522 IMG 0523 IMG 0524 IMG 0525 IMG 0526

Last edited:
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Well, it may work. I have 14” rim with 28” tires. But, as a spare, for emergencys, and if I don’t lock the differential when it is installed, it probably would work.

Being a new tire it may be close to the same size diameter. I've heard that using a different size spare is ok even in 4x4. I wouldn't want to do on pavement though. I think I paid $125 for the tire and $30 or so for the wheel. $100 and it's yours or you can borrow it for free.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Being a new tire it may be close to the same size diameter. I've heard that using a different size spare is ok even in 4x4. I wouldn't want to do on pavement though. I think I paid $125 for the tire and $30 or so for the wheel. $100 and it's yours or you can borrow it for free.
fwiw: The i4WD on a Talon will throw a code if you mismatch front tires, even if you aren't in 4WD. @Lil_Steve went to 32" tires and carried a stock 28" spare just for getting back to the truck. A flat happened, he put the smaller spare on the front, the Talon's i4WD software threw a hissy fit and a code even though he wasn't in 4WD. I have no idea how much size difference you can get away with. fwiw 2: the Talon has a locked rear diff. so using a smaller spare back there is a no-no. I'm pretty sure the Pioneer has a turf mode - not sure how it handles different tire sizes.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Regarding spares, I'm certainly not saying a flat can't happen, but the trails are clean enough there is little chance of cutting a tire. 4 trips there with 2 on cheap stock tires and no problems. The one time I've cut a tire was Wolfpen going up to the mine and the washout cut a sidewall. We've seen subaru's and the like up there with road tires with no issue.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me think about it, and see if I can come up with something else. I assume others may have spares with them on trip, in case I or someone else needs a spare. My tires (28x10-14 Sedona Rip-Saw R/T) are in great condition, but was just trying to plan for the worse.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Let me think about it, and see if I can come up with something else. I assume others may have spares with them on trip, in case I or someone else needs a spare. My tires (28x10-14 Sedona Rip-Saw R/T) are in great condition, but was just trying to plan for the worse.

No problem. I carry a matching 29" spare with me a tire repair kit with lots of plugs, patches,air compressor,slime,jack,lug wrench ect... I'm pretty sure we could fix you up if needed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No problem. I carry a matching 29" spare with me a tire repair kit with lots of plugs, patches,air compressor,slime,jack,lug wrench ect... I'm pretty sure we could fix you up if needed.
And you’re not the only one. If 2 or 3 riders have jacks, lug wrenches and spares, it’s probably enough. I have all you mentioned but the spare.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!