Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Read through all 22 pages of this thread last night and remembered I had been wanting to get my amateur radio license. Local club was having a meeting last night so I went over and passed the tech level exam. I should be in the database before the trip. Already have an old mobile Kenwood I can mount so I may be working on that this week. This weekend I’ll see about getting some break-in miles done and find some cargo solutions.

View attachment 216908

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s great. Nice looking Talon too....

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've been fighting a rather debilitating sciatic nerve issue that is really wreaking havoc with my lower right back, right hip, thigh and knee. MRI indicates an extruded disc between my L4 and L5 lumbar vertebra- it's extruded 19mm - almost 3/4" - and is impinging on two root nerves, which is what's causing my anguish. It's touch and go for the wife and I at this point, although it seems to be subsiding to some degree. I'm awaiting counseling with my neurosurgeon before making any decisions.

To add insult to injury, I've got a condo lined up in Silverton through VRBO to the tune of about $1200 for five days. I doubt that we'll be able to get much if any refund other than the $400 security deposit at this late stage. It's been a really crap year so far. Hope things smooth out and we're able to make the trip.

BTW - I did take the Talon into the dealership this morning to have them check my tranny for the recall they've issued. She got a clean bill of health and a free oil change. 😁

Steve
I can sympathize with you on that. I have compression in lower back and two surgeries on my neck, fusion, metal plate....

I wish you the best, hope you can make it. If you can’t, there’s a couple guys here needing accommodations. Maybe they will pm you for info....👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Pops is onboard and I've reserved a tent camp site next to the river. 👍
That’s great, be sure to have warm bedding and clothing. Lows are already 48-50 there, could be 38-40 by ride time.....👍

Reactions: TimG
K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I hope you guys have time to trailer over to Ouray and ride Imogene and Yankee Boy Basin. Imogene was probably my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
I hope you guys have time to trailer over to Ouray and ride Imogene and Yankee Boy Basin. Imogene was probably my favorite.

I’ve been told Imogene is great. I’ll be tent camping with a small trailer so I might be able to get there one day.

Reactions: TimG and K9Paco
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We tried to make Imogene in '18 in the rain but my wife got nervous above off camber slick rock and made the call to turn back. Looks like it would be a great run. There is also a side trail off Governor Basin that would be a real test I want to run it some summer we're there. There is a local event of Midnight Run to Imogene Pass but I don't think I would try it...😲

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
We tried to make Imogene in '18 in the rain but my wife got nervous above off camber slick rock and made the call to turn back. Looks like it would be a great run. There is also a side trail off Governor Basin that would be a real test I want to run it some summer we're there. There is a local event of Midnight Run to Imogene Pass but I don't think I would try it...

Sydney Basin is off of Governor Basin and I could only run about half of it before I turned around. Went down one kinda nasty section then came to another with large rocks and a steep decline. I might have gotten down but I didn’t know if I would bust something trying to get back up. It wasn’t worth it so I turned around.

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Getting back to coms - my current transceiver is a TM-221A, a 2-meter radio. I see several people will be using dual-band radios. Are you folks planning on using 70cm or 2m band?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Getting back to coms - my current transceiver is a TM-221A, a 2-meter radio. I see several people will be using dual-band radios. Are you folks planning on using 70cm or 2m band?

I'd suspect 2m, as it is more prevalent.

Steve

Reactions: Montecresto
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some of us have no idea about the radios and will need a crash course in their programming and operation. A ride like this will likely be the only time it is used. I would be more inclined towards a CB but HAM is the preferred so that's what I've installed.

D

DDDonkey

I am radio stupid, so is everyone talking about the "Rugged brand" radios or something like a "Baofeng brand" brand radio.

Reactions: TimG
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am radio stupid, so is everyone talking about the "Rugged brand" radios or something like a "Baofeng brand" brand radio.

If I’m not mistaken Rugged doesn’t build their own radio. They use a version of the YTY-8600, which is a 70cm/2m dual band radio. Baofeng makes 70cm/2m radios too that will work just fine with anyone listening to or transmitting on 70cm or 2m bands. My TM-221A only transmits and receives on 2m. If you have a Rugged/YTY/Baofeng or any other 70cm (440MHz) or 2m (144MHz) then you should get a technician level radio license. I’m certainly not going to stick my nose up at someone that doesn’t have a license for the trip but when you get a license you’re given a call sign that uniquely identifies you and that you have a license. Anyone with a radio can listen, but legally you need a license to transmit and I think this has to do with regulating etiquette used when transmitting and operating equipment.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I’m not mistaken Rugged doesn’t build their own radio. They use a version of the YTY-8600, which is a 70cm/2m dual band radio. Baofeng makes 70cm/2m radios too that will work just fine with anyone listening to or transmitting on 70cm or 2m bands. My TM-221A only transmits and receives on 2m. If you have a Rugged/YTY/Baofeng or any other 70cm (440MHz) or 2m (144MHz) then you should get a technician level radio license. I’m certainly not going to stick my nose up at someone that doesn’t have a license for the trip but when you get a license you’re given a call sign that uniquely identifies you and that you have a license. Anyone with a radio can listen, but legally you need a license to transmit and I think this has to do with regulating etiquette used when transmitting and operating equipment.

I completely understand the licensing thing. Too many unregulated voices on a channel and it becomes clogged. I'd rather not go bootleg, but won't key up much and hope that big brother isn't listening too close for the few days I'll use it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I completely understand the licensing thing. Too many unregulated voices on a channel and it becomes clogged. I'd rather not go bootleg, but won't key up much and hope that big brother isn't listening too close for the few days I'll use it.
You’ll be ok. 😎

Reactions: Pilgrim
D

DDDonkey

Me too, I will just listen unless an emergency, I just want to know what is going on. Most all test around me have been canx due to covid, do we have a frequency list?

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Me too, I will just listen unless an emergency, I just want to know what is going on. Most all test around me have been canx due to covid, do we have a frequency list?

Google ARRL Band Plan. You should be able to find the frequency guidelines for the 2m band.

Reactions: DDDonkey
WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Read through all 22 pages of this thread last night and remembered I had been wanting to get my amateur radio license. Local club was having a meeting last night so I went over and passed the tech level exam. I should be in the database before the trip. Already have an old mobile Kenwood I can mount so I may be working on that this week. This weekend I’ll see about getting some break-in miles done and find some cargo solutions.

View attachment 216908

I like that white ..good looking buggy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!