OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I will have my laptop with me. I can upload the frequencies that the forum members use to the TYT8600. Also i can upload to the some Beofang handhelds.

I've got the TYT8600 if you could program it it for me that would be great ! Might even be a cheeseburger or a beer in it for ya ! Is Your ole buddy Jack gonna be there this year ?

Reactions: Pilgrim
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've got the TYT8600 if you could program it it for me that would be great ! Might even be a cheeseburger or a beer in it for ya ! Is Your ole buddy Jack gonna be there this year ?
Not this trip, the boss and i are going on an extend RV vacation. Going to stop and visit with you guys for a few days. Then we are off to Utah for a week or 2.
Ill take ya up on that burger and beer!

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Not this trip, the boss and i are going on an extend RV vacation. Going to stop and visit with you guys for a few days. Then we are off to Utah for a week or 2.
Ill take ya up on that burger and beer!

Deal !

Reactions: Tramguage1
Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s the radio that many of us have and use. I don’t know anyone that I’ve rode with using those radios with a license though I’m sure some forum members do...A group on the trail deep in the woods usually communicating within a couple miles of each other, I’m not aware of anyone experiencing any trouble.....

What is involved in obtaining a license Steve.....?
The rugged radios are already licensed, they have 10 nationwide channels, and 60 area-specific channels, which you can use w/o a license. Additional channels would require programming and a technician license.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The rugged radios are already licensed, they have 10 nationwide channels, and 60 area-specific channels, which you can use w/o a license. Additional channels would require programming and a technician license.
Does that include the 60 Watt RR? I just bought one and I know jack about radioes.

Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. I think the RM-60 is limited to 35 watts on the nationwide channels, 60 on the area-specific. I get great reception up here in the mountains.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes. I think the RM-60 is limited to 35 watts on the nationwide channels, 60 on the area-specific. I get great reception up here in the mountains.
Would you mind explaining area-specific?

Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They have licenses for the more popular areas, (Moab, Sedona, etc.) As far as coverage, they work anywhere, and as others on here have opined, the feds have better things to do than tracking down scofflaws with radios. If you want to be sure, just operate at the lower power level, and you're good to go. Rugged Radios has a PDF on their website under licensing that lists the areas. Hope that helps!

Reactions: TimG and Smitty335
D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
They have licenses for the more popular areas, (Moab, Sedona, etc.) As far as coverage, they work anywhere, and as others on here have opined, the feds have better things to do than tracking down scofflaws with radios. If you want to be sure, just operate at the lower power level, and you're good to go. Rugged Radios has a PDF on their website under licensing that lists the areas. Hope that helps!

So are those the "channels" we will be using or different frequencies (channels)? Again I only plan to listen, just interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So are those the "channels" we will be using or different frequencies (channels)? Again I only plan to listen, just interested.

I don't know the actual frequencies that their channels are, they don't list them. It's on my list of things to do. Obviously all radios would have to be on the same frequency to operate. As so many off-road clubs use Rugged, I would imagine some of the channels would have to be commonly used ones.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Are these considered in the rugged radio category?

7854B69C 0DA7 4A57 92A8 2C1D99B9F36B

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Are these considered in the rugged radio category?

View attachment 217547
What I can can tell from Rugged Radios webpage, they're using preprogramed UHF/VHF radios. The FCC has granted them licensing for the preprogramed channels, most or all of which are listed as UHF. I wasn't able to find what the actual frequencies they using. though. The only stuff they have listed now is GMRS, which extends a little bit above the 70cm ham radio band.
The TH-8600 is not granted a license to the station or equipment, rather the control operator (the person using it) needs to be licensed.

Reactions: Montecresto
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Let me get a screen shot of the frequency list. Ill post it here so we can compare.

Reactions: TimG
Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went relatively cheap, and got a couple of handhelds. Baofeng UV-5R (ham), and BTech V1 (GMRS). Have a license for the GMRS, but will only listen on the UV-5R :)cool:). Actually, my son got the GMRS license I will use, and sent the radio to me. I purchased the Baofeng. Will get a amateur license some day, but not before the trip. Just got the radios, so learning all the features on them, and how to program the channels using software on the computer.
I see there are amateur radio repeaters around Silverton. Would we be using the repeaters, or just direct, since we should be close to each other?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!