Official 2020 Silverton Colorado Planner

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have any spare wheels for a 2016 P1K5 Deluxe. Front preferably 9” front. I dont have a spare, and would like to get one for the trip. I am using stock 14” Deluxe wheels and 28”x10” tires. Been looking around, but cant find any.
Found any wheels? recently changed out wheels, have stock front ansd back not using, DM me

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
They're VHF with the exception of the first one, which is UHF.

Steve
Are these VHF or UHF frequencies? Think the RR RM60-v is VHF ( very high frequency )? And don't need it for the woods, need a dual frequency 25 watt?

They're VHF with the exception of the first one (462.725), which is UHF. BUT, all of them, although they are VHF/UHF frequencies, are not within the frequency range of the government-prescribed ham 2-meter band, which runs from 144 to 148 MHz in North America. On most amateur band (ham) dual radios the "dual" refers to two bands: 1) the 2 meter band, which is 144-148 MHz, and the 70 centimeter band, which is 420-450 MHz. So, none of those channels listed on the "Rugged Ridge" spreadsheet correlate with traditional ham bands. Although some radios will tune to those frequencies (my cheap Baofeng handheld for instance), operating on those frequencies without appropriate licensing is technically illegal - at least from an amateur radio standpoint. This is one of the reasons the FCC has threatened to crack down on the import of these cheap, Chinese *ham* radios, be they Baofeng, BTech, TYT or any of a myriad of Chinese radios.

IF you were to purchase a true dual band radio from one of the traditional (law-abiding and reliable) manufacturers such as iCOM, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc., they would only accommodate the frequency range I've described above. Therefore, anyone who is running a true *ham* dual band radio would not be able to tune to the frequencies listed on the Rugged Ridge spreadsheet.

Here's a chart illustrating the Baofeng's capability as compared to legal 2 meter and 70 cm bands.

Capture

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They're VHF with the exception of the first one, which is UHF.

Steve

They're VHF with the exception of the first one (462.725), which is UHF. BUT, all of them, although they are VHF/UHF frequencies, are not within the frequency range of the government-prescribed ham 2-meter band, which runs from 144 to 148 MHz in North America. On most amateur band (ham) dual radios the "dual" refers to two bands: 1) the 2 meter band, which is 144-148 MHz, and the 70 centimeter band, which is 420-450 MHz. So, none of those channels listed on the "Rugged Ridge" spreadsheet correlate with traditional ham bands. Although some radios will tune to those frequencies (my cheap Baofeng handheld for instance), operating on those frequencies without appropriate licensing is technically illegal - at least from an amateur radio standpoint. This is one of the reasons the FCC has threatened to crack down on the import of these cheap, Chinese *ham* radios, be they Baofeng, BTech, TYT or any of a myriad of Chinese radios.

IF you were to purchase a true dual band radio from one of the traditional (law-abiding and reliable) manufacturers such as iCOM, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc., they would only accommodate the frequency range I've described above. Therefore, anyone who is running a true *ham* dual band radio would not be able to tune to the frequencies listed on the Rugged Ridge spreadsheet.

Steve
Thanks! Got a hold of @elkaholic and got it all sorted out, very good prices!

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was recently in the Ouray and Silverton area and was able to hit multiple repeaters in the VHF frequency band with the dual band radios I sell.

Ab0f961795ad8a55972daf8dfb9fb73e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was recently in the Ouray and Silverton area and was able to hit multiple repeaters in the VHF frequency band with the dual band radios I sell.

View attachment 218379

Good to know. I programed a list of repeaters in the area on my Baofeng handheld and wondered whether any of them would actually be accessible in the Silverton area.

Steve

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I did not try with the handhelds but hit them with the vehicle mount. I sent test tones that I picked up with the handheld ...

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did not try with the handhelds but hit them with the vehicle mount. I sent test tones that I picked up with the handheld ...

Currently, my rig is just the Baofeng handheld coupled with a vehicle mounted antenna. But, since I'm not planning to bring the Talon, I'll likely be using it hand held (if at all). When I get my back sorted out and get back on the trail, I'll likely contact you for one of your hard-mounted radios, @elkaholic.

Steve

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
For those folks that have the TYT TH-8600, did you need to unlock it before it would allow you to change the frequency? Mine seems to be locked at 450MHz and in memory mode. The V/M button will not change from memory mode to VFO mode.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
For those folks that have the TYT TH-8600, did you need to unlock it before it would allow you to change the frequency? Mine seems to be locked at 450MHz and in memory mode. The V/M button will not change from memory mode to VFO mode.
@Tramguage1

advertisement
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So far here is the list of contributions for the dinner;
wrwtexan; hamburger patties and dogs, group breakfast ingredients
Montecresto, patties and dogs also (may need to coordinate on quantity or one bring patties, other bring dogs, or something else...)
hoghead; baked beans and chips

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many are really going? Will need to know for bringing meals items.
The list show JTW has 69. Is that correct?

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t believe I am going to get there until Monday.....and I won’t have the cooler space that some do.... but more than happy to help @Montecresto or whomever with a cash donation..... I will check in closer to liftoff to see if brats or something needed.......

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!