Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Tempting but the Talon roll cage is all 2" :(, and they want $50!
I've been looking around and I may just make a bracket that uses the Talon's flag mount hole to fit a NMO antenna mount next to it.
They have it in 2" also

Reactions: Montecresto
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my antenna mounted! Little bit of junk iron laying around the shop. I'm not called Junk Rat for nuthin'!😆

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They don't show the actual freq., just the name they assigned to it. I'll try & get one Monday & post it.
Did you happen to get this?

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So is the radio up and going?
I can listen to my local FM stations! 🤣 Past that, I have NO IDEA how to work it! UHF/VHF/UFO 🤔
On a serious note, if left plugged in but turned off, it will pull my battery down in a few days if not run.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I can listen to my local FM stations! 🤣 Past that, I have NO IDEA how to work it! UHF/VHF/UFO 🤔
On a serious note, if left plugged in but turned off, it will pull my battery down in a few days if not run.
Hmmm. I guess I better check mine. What are you doing, pulling the fuse.....?

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
I can listen to my local FM stations! Past that, I have NO IDEA how to work it! UHF/VHF/UFO

I don’t know if I’ll have mine wired up via relay to the key on position by trip time on not. I’ve got a Fuzeblock FZ1 on my motorcycle that will turn of all power to accessories connected to it a couple minutes after key off which is really nice. I might buy another for the Talon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Montecresto and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It has a plug right at the radio I'm disconnecting right now. Probably will add a switch. I don't want it wired for rig key on so I can talk or listen without the ignition system turned on.
Good idea. You’ve got the TH-8600 right?

Switched power sounds like the ticket if you have no real need for the trouble and expense of dual batteries.
I think Tram will have his laptop and ability to program radios. 🤞

Last edited:
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Check out Ham Radio Crash Course YouTube channel. He's got an amateur radio Tech and General level videos where he goes though the book explaining how VHF/UHF/HF operate. It'll answer a lot of questions about how the systems work. It wont directly explain how to program YOUR radio but it should give you some direction on how to use it and make the most of it. Short answer - VHF/UHF will work best utilizing a repeater, where an offset is required between transmit and receiving signals.

It has a plug right at the radio I'm disconnecting right now. Probably will add a switch. I don't want it wired for rig key on so I can talk or listen without the ignition system turned on.
I like the thought of being able to use the radio without the key being on but I'm of the mind set that I'll leave it on one day and come out to use it later and the battery will be dead. This would be a good reason for dual batteries and an isolator between buggy and accessory power.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The place I'm installing trails. It looks like a castle on top of the mountain. It's huge and all chateau like....This is about a 1/5th it's size.
7A71A6D7 CE08 4F80 99D2 D2B28B8C3AFD

Reactions: hoghead76
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok, this is going to sound crazy but, we ARE going to attend :). However... we are NOT going to be bringing the Talon 😟. After due consideration of, 1) the condition of my back (severely extruding disc between my L4 and L5 lumbar vertebrae), and 2) the prospect of loosing the $1200 we've got invested in this VRBO condo we've rented, we've concluded that we'd still like to get to the mountains, but I'm not willing to risk bumping along the trails and loading/unloading the Talon. It's just not worth it.

So.... assuming you guys/gals will still allow us to socialize to some extent at the gatherings, we'd be happy to meet and greet. Hopefully, at some point when my back gets sorted out (and this COVID crap is behind us) we'll have an opportunity to actually bring the Talon and partake in the manifold mirth and merriment. Meanwhile, as I told my wife, if we're so inclined we can certainly do Cinnamon Pass in the F150 over to Lake City.

Unless something else changes, we'll see you there, albeit without the Talon. :confused:

Steve

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, this is going to sound crazy but, we ARE going to attend :). However... we are NOT going to be bringing the Talon 😟. After due consideration of, 1) the condition of my back (severely extruding disc between my L4 and L5 lumbar vertebrae), and 2) the prospect of loosing the $1200 we've got invested in this VRBO condo we've rented, we've concluded that we'd still like to get to the mountains, but I'm not willing to risk bumping along the trails and loading/unloading the Talon. It's just not worth it.

So.... assuming you guys/gals will still allow us to socialize to some extent at the gatherings, we'd be happy to meet and greet. Hopefully, at some point when my back gets sorted out (and this COVID crap is behind us) we'll have an opportunity to actually bring the Talon and partake in the manifold mirth and merriment. Meanwhile, as I told my wife, if we're so inclined we can certainly do Cinnamon Pass in the F150 over to Lake City.

Unless something else changes, we'll see you there, albeit without the Talon. :confused:

Steve
If that what it take to get there then come on and join the fun , and if you do feel like riding I am sure there will be some open seats.
and it looks like we have found our cook 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Steve
Good news Steve. I had your condo rented, but it’s best if you can use it. Hope to meet you there...😎

Reactions: stellarpod
wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Steve
Oh, no! Without your ride, no entry into the circle! 🤣. Come on and join as you can! We could tailor a ride to get you out on the trails without beating you up. Maybe up Kendall Mountain which is right next to town. Short, beautiful ride and take it slow.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good idea. You’ve got the TH-8600 right?

Switched power sounds like the ticket if you have no real need for the trouble and expense of dual batteries.
I think Tram will have his laptop and ability to program radios. 🤞
Told you I would but I opted for a Radioddity QB25 which has the dual bands, FM radio, and showed all the accessories it came with. Not knowing what I would be getting or having any idea what I was doing, it fit better. I have a programming cable for it also. Nice little radio.

Reactions: Montecresto
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Steve
The boss and i will be there the first few days, we will not have or machine either. But we will have a stock jeep behind the MH. A little siting around the fire and a few beverages sounds good to me! Im sure we can find something to see and do.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The boss and i will be there the first few days, we will not have or machine either. But we will have a stock jeep behind the MH. A little siting around the fire and a few beverages sounds good to me! Im sure we can find something to see and do.
You'll be in CO; there's nothing to see! HA!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!