P500 Oh Nuts! (With Spacers)

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I installed the 1.5" spacers on the rear of the 500 yesterday. I am somewhat perplexed. When threading the nuts in the spacer holes on to the threaded stud bolts I noticed that when the nuts were torqued to specs, the tip of the bolt was recessed inside the nut almost .25" . I am used to the bolts poking out of the nuts at least a couple of threads. I would feel better if the nut had more bolt to grab on to.
Is this a normal situation with wheel spacers?

PXL 20210307 213951269

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, something's not right. Are those tapered lug nuts? The hole should be tapered as well.
Both the lug nuts and the holes are tapered. I will contact superatv via email with the picture and see what they say. Thank you all for your advice on this issue. I HATE receiving the wrong parts and having to return them. It will interesting to see how the vendor handles this.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both the lug nuts and the holes are tapered. I will contact superatv via email with the picture and see what they say. Thank you all for your advice on this issue. I HATE receiving the wrong parts and having to return them. It will interesting to see how the vendor handles this.
@SuperATV help a member out.

If nothing else there is a #NTC discount code that gives a zero percent discount on all orders at SuperATV. ;)

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm... I have two pairs of new SuperATV 1.5 inch spacers still in the box waiting for my P520. I was planning on installing them this weekend after I FINALLY get to pick up my new P520 at the dealership....hopefully tomorrow.

Stupid Question from a non-mechanically inclined person: Do the SuperATV lug nuts have the same taper as the original lug nuts on the P500/520? I would assume they are all the same...but maybe not. And I assume you use the SuperATV lug nuts to attach the spacer to the hub, so hopefully it would be a fit regardless.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at the instructions and it looks like it comes with some lug nuts with the spacers. I would be curious if the taper is different then the factory lugs. I would guess there lugs go on first with the spacers then the factory ones on the factory wheels. Like everyone else I would be nervous with the lack of thread engagement.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
My spacers came with lug nuts that were a little shorter than the factory nuts. If I would have used the original Honda lug nuts I would have had the same issue. On the 1” spacers you must use the short nuts or they will stick out past the spacer and hit the wheel.

advertisement
Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I could make a crack about "short nuts" but I won't! The nuts all look the same size. The ones that superatv sent were used to install the spacer to the hub. The original lug nuts were used to hold the wheel on the spacer. Unless superatv has another idea, I am going to pull everything apart and make absolutely sure that the two different sourced nuts are the same size. Sure glad I bought the electric impact wrench.
Thank you to all you folks that answered my posting. If my nuts are different sizes, I will feel pretty sheepish!

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the ones from Ebay that were USA made, and they had great hardware, even used OEM studs for wheel attachment. Those will overheat... ;-)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!