Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was wondering if you are supposed to change the 2 rubber o rings in the oil filter casing on honda pioneer 500 every oil change, or can you go longer. Thanks.
I've never changed the o-rings out, just inspect them and reinstall them lubricating with oil when reinstalling the covers, that's been 5 years now. Just inspect for oil leaks as always. I do replace the crush washers on the drain plugs though every time.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I've never changed the o-rings out, just inspect them and reinstall them lubricating with oil when reinstalling the covers, that's been 5 years now. Just inspect for oil leaks as always. I do replace the crush washers on the drain plugs though every time.
Ok thanks for the response. I was going to reuse the crush washers, however, I believe you convinced me otherwise.

advertisement
TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Many are good at it--some are not. Be sure you know which one you really are! "Tighten 'til it starts to slip and back off a quarter" works too, for a while.

There are standard torque specs for bolts into aluminum, depending on size. These specs apply to pretty much all standard fasteners. Hopefully a Honda manual error saying to torque a 6mm bolt to 42 ft/lbs would be caught, no doubt by a mechanic sharp enough to "torque by feel."

I always torque during prep. Don't always have that option on the trail or during a race. Be as meticulous as you can when you can--the rest of the time, gotta "thrash."