Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was wondering if you are supposed to change the 2 rubber o rings in the oil filter casing on honda pioneer 500 every oil change, or can you go longer. Thanks.
I've never changed the o-rings out, just inspect them and reinstall them lubricating with oil when reinstalling the covers, that's been 5 years now. Just inspect for oil leaks as always. I do replace the crush washers on the drain plugs though every time.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I've never changed the o-rings out, just inspect them and reinstall them lubricating with oil when reinstalling the covers, that's been 5 years now. Just inspect for oil leaks as always. I do replace the crush washers on the drain plugs though every time.
Ok thanks for the response. I was going to reuse the crush washers, however, I believe you convinced me otherwise.

advertisement
TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Many are good at it--some are not. Be sure you know which one you really are! "Tighten 'til it starts to slip and back off a quarter" works too, for a while.

There are standard torque specs for bolts into aluminum, depending on size. These specs apply to pretty much all standard fasteners. Hopefully a Honda manual error saying to torque a 6mm bolt to 42 ft/lbs would be caught, no doubt by a mechanic sharp enough to "torque by feel."

I always torque during prep. Don't always have that option on the trail or during a race. Be as meticulous as you can when you can--the rest of the time, gotta "thrash."

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!