Talon Oil usage

B

Bonsall

Nov 1, 2019
Bonsall
Ownership

1. Talon R
On my 1000R, had my oil changed at 30 hours, in the susequent 50 hours, it has gone through 1 quart of oil. I have seen no leaks and no smoke. Should I be concerned with 1 Quart in 50 hours? About half of those 50 hours have been hard driving ??

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my 1000R, had my oil changed at 30 hours, in the susequent 50 hours, it has gone through 1 quart of oil. I have seen no leaks and no smoke. Should I be concerned with 1 Quart in 50 hours? About half of those 50 hours have been hard driving ??
You said you had your oil changed.....did you check it after? No way it should burn a quart.
Maybe it just didn't get filled all the way?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you using the correct procedure for checking your oil? I’d almost bet it’s the same as my Pioneer 1000. Let the engine run 3-5 minutes and then shut it off and let it sit 3-5 minutes and then check the level.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
For reference, mine went through a little oil (maybe 1/2 quart) until about 700 miles. Hasn't burned a drop since and now have 1500 and I drive mostly dunes so I am pedal to the metal a lot.

With 80 hours, you probably have similar miles. You may want to put the dealer on notice about it and keep a close eye on and record the usage.

B

Bonsall

Nov 1, 2019
Bonsall
Ownership

1. Talon R
I did not check after the oil change, but with another 6 hours, I had to add enough more oil to bring it up from near the bottom of the dip stick to the top mark on the stick. My total hours are 77 and mileage is 661. As I said, no visible smoke, but my guess is it has to be burning it. Thanks for the responses.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did not check after the oil change, but with another 6 hours, I had to add enough more oil to bring it up from near the bottom of the dip stick to the top mark on the stick. My total hours are 77 and mileage is 661. As I said, no visible smoke, but my guess is it has to be burning it. Thanks for the responses.
But did you check it the correct way? Its important that you do so or you run the risk of over filling it. If you pull the dipstick on your engine after sitting for several hours or sitting overnight it’s going to read low!

Talon oil change

28EC5C1B 1D4F 4269 8759 5B36508FC604

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point.
  1. You didn't check it after you changed it??? You really have nothing to base your findings on at this point.
  2. In your first post, you say it went through 1 quart but in your second, you say you added enough oil to bring it from near the bottom to the top mark. That is not anywhere near a quart, it is less than 1/2 because (unlike a car) the difference between the marks is less than 1/2 quart.
  3. At 661 miles and 77 hours, your average speed is only 8.5 MPH. You either go real slow most of the time or you let it idle a lot. In either case, it will take a lot longer to break in.
  4. You probably don't have enough miles on the machine for your type of driving to break it in properly. You need to visit the dunes or something a little faster with a lot of RPM changes for a good breakin process.
  5. The amount of oil the manual says may not be enough. I let mine drain for quite a while i did other stuff and when I filled it up it took almost 1/2 quart more and I had to go back and get more oil. it says 6.1 qts when changing the DCT filter and mine took 6.5. Not sure the manual is accurate so your starting point you thought was full at the oil change may not be true at all.
Too many variables here, so you should stop "guessing" and follow the instructions to check after an oil change. Check the oil correctly before you go out again, make sure it is full and check/document at the beginning of each day you ride until you are sure it is (or is not) using oil.

Reactions: nm6r
B

Bonsall

Nov 1, 2019
Bonsall
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, I get your math, not sure why it works out that way , I drive 20 to 40 most of the time (Glamis, Superstition, Inyo-Mono N.F.) . But that does work out to 8MPH? As far as checking oil, I do do it by the manual, and it is using oil . I did not check for awihle after the initial oil change (My Bad), that is when I found it down a quart (never a low oil indicator).After learning from that mistake ,I check regularly and as I said after approx 6 to 8 hours, I've had to add maybe a quarter of a quart to go from the bottom line on the stick to the top line. Not an exact measurement but close on the amount put in.

Reactions: Russ989
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, I get your math, not sure why it works out that way , I drive 20 to 40 most of the time (Glamis, Superstition, Inyo-Mono N.F.) . But that does work out to 8MPH? As far as checking oil, I do do it by the manual, and it is using oil . I did not check for awihle after the initial oil change (My Bad), that is when I found it down a quart (never a low oil indicator).After learning from that mistake ,I check regularly and as I said after approx 6 to 8 hours, I've had to add maybe a quarter of a quart to go from the bottom line on the stick to the top line. Not an exact measurement but close on the amount put in.
I still think you may need a little more break in but, I suggest that you document it throughly from now on. Write down to the best of your memory what has happened up to this point (try to include approximate dates, mileage and hours) and from now on every day of an outing as soon as you get back you should log...
  1. The Date, hours and mileage.
  2. Dipstick reading (Full, In Between or Low).
  3. How much oil you add (in ounces and use the same bottle to be more accurate).
  4. What type of driving you did.
Watch it closely and see if there is a trend (better, worse, same) and go from there.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still think you may need a little more break in but, I suggest that you document it throughly from now on. Write down to the best of your memory what has happened up to this point (try to include approximate dates, mileage and hours) and from now on every day of an outing as soon as you get back you should log...
  1. The Date, hours and mileage.
  2. Dipstick reading (Full, In Between or Low).
  3. How much oil you add (in ounces and use the same bottle to be more accurate).
  4. What type of driving you did.
Watch it closely and see if there is a trend (better, worse, same) and go from there.
I agree, my 700 had a short spell where it seemed to use a little oil but it didn’t last long and as I recall it was right after the first oil change.

B

Bonsall

Nov 1, 2019
Bonsall
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the advice. I bought in April and still have some warranty space I believe, and maybe it is still seating in, but I have pushed pretty hard. Will keep a tight record from here on out. I will say I love this machine, it does not matter whether its a generator, snow blower, or Quad , every one will tell you buy a Honda. My relatives and friends have Polaris Razors, and its a non stop parade of belts, engines,etc., so I will keep at it, maybe everything will be OK.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!