Oil use

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I’m at 1400 miles. changed my oil for the 2nd time at 1200m. Since then it’s showed in the bottom line after adding oil twice after a few rides. No smoking. Could it be using oil? Generally keep it midway between the lines and last check it was at the bottom line????

Reactions: Blownzuki and TxDoc
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m at 1400 miles. changed my oil for the 2nd time at 1200m. Since then it’s showed in the bottom line after adding oil twice after a few rides. No smoking. Could it be using oil? Generally keep it midway between the lines and last check it was at the bottom line????
Are you checking the oil level per owners manual? It's pretty stupid how you check the oil, what happened to the screw that told you when you were at correct oil level?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Let it run a couple minutes. Shut it down and wait a couple of more minutes, then check without screwing in the dipstick.
This is how I also do it.
Crank, wait, shut off, wait, check, check again.
If you don't check it the same way every time you will get different levels.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I let the engine run a few minutes then checked it (without screwing the dip stick in) …am I missing something?
No, Honda missed something by not giving us a repeatable way to check our oil. I do an oil and filters change adding the 6.1 qts (6 qts. 3.2 oz), start the engine and let run to saturate the filters, turn off, let sit for an extended period and then check the oil - that becomes my full oil mark. This way I can check it anytime I walk by during the week without warming it up ‘some’ and letting it sit ‘some’ - idjits.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No, Honda missed something by not giving us a repeatable way to check our oil. I do an oil and filters change adding the 6.1 qts (6 qts. 3.2 oz), start the engine and let run to saturate the filters, turn off, let sit for an extended period and then check the oil - that becomes my full oil mark. This way I can check it anytime I walk by during the week without warming it up ‘some’ and letting it sit ‘some’ - idjits.

View attachment 301755
Thats a great idea.
I may take a file and make a mark there for reference.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This way I can check it anytime I walk by during the week without warming it up ‘some’ and letting it sit ‘some’ - idjits.
Mostly on board with you on this. However, if it's super cold out, then I would advise to start, run, shutdown, wait, then check using the standard dipstick markings. External temperature can do funny things, especially with synthetic oils.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
One thing i learned the hard way on this is i now measure the oil i drop out at changes instead of just dumping it into a 5 gallon bucket. I had a talon that a problem came to my attention suddenly and i didn't know how much oil it was using, just "assumed" the varying levels on the dipstick was due to how i was checking it. If i was having to add oil (1/2 to 1 qt) between 1200mi changes i would be very concerned. You may want to make sure your air filter is good, increased vacuum can pull oil past rings "and stuff".

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mostly on board with you on this. However, if it's super cold out, then I would advise to start, run, shutdown, wait, then check using the standard dipstick markings. External temperature can do funny things, especially with synthetic oils.
Super cold out, you mean down around +40f ? :) desert guy here

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 301755
V Twin MC rider trick. Works great on the kick stand.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Update. I let the machine run 3-5 minutes,turned it off, then waited 2min and checked. added some oil to it then went on a 80 mile trip. Checked it every stop and it’s staying on the mark. Went out to the garage yesterday and checked again and still good so I must not have been letting it warm up enough…thanks guys for the input

Reactions: Squeegee
Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Update. I let the machine run 3-5 minutes,turned it off, then waited 2min and checked. added some oil to it then went on a 80 mile trip. Checked it every stop and it’s staying on the mark. Went out to the garage yesterday and checked again and still good so I must not have been letting it warm up enough…thanks guys for the input

Reactions: Smitty335
B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Where to get oil filter and crush washers cheaper than the dealer for oil changes?

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought crush washers from O'Reillys...my oil filters always came with new ones for them.
Where do you get your oil filters? My dealer charges for all the crush washers. My filters only come with oring

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Where do you get your oil filters? My dealer charges for all the crush washers. My filters only come with oring
I have used Rocky Mountain for my last few filters. Just to clarify my oil filters have only come with the oring also....

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!