BOX1

Open Ride - April 28th weekend. LaFollette TN. - Coke Oven Cabins!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Great ride

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
1,029.2 miles round-trip and home safe. Had an outstanding time at our first group event. Will share my 'lessons learned' tomorrow after I go in to work to get some rest! 🤣

20230430 201734

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
(My first) Lessons Learned (from the Coke Oven Cabins 2023 trip):

1. Clean your radiator every day, especially after going through the sloppy crap we spent the day going through on FRI. If you don't, your oil won't stay cool and your sub-trans can heat up and make your dash look like a Christmas tree (and risk your clutches). Thanks @lee and @JACKAL

2. Carry plenty of water (and a few water bottles). Never would have thought about poking a hole in a lid to make a "spray" bottle. Thanks, @JACKAL

3. Do NOT trailer with the CEC Enclosure on an open trailer. One side was perfectly fine, while the other kept coming unsnapped and flapping around. From now on, I'll remove the entire enclosure if/when I have to trailer. Most likely, I'll be removing it and replacing it with some sort of hard doors and a mid-panel (for the winter).

4. When @Hondasxs gets his Talon stuck and has to winch out, it's probably not a good idea to try to follow him, especially if you're driving a Pioneer 1000-3. Ain't that right, @TripleB? 🤣

5. Keep your front safety nets installed. You (and your SO) will be happy when they don't have to keep ducking branches looking to take out a few teeth.

6. Muck boots: If they are tight on your feet due to having a EE foot, don't expect them to stretch even if the ad says they will. Buy a bigger size.

7. Don't wear a muck boot on one foot and a standard gym/athletic shoe on the other if you're going to forge across a 3+ foot deep river/creek.

8. Do not follow @Red500. He's an idiot. (LOL J/K - inside joke).

9. MT over AT for slow, uphill, rocky terrain. Don't change gears unless you really need to. Thanks, @JACKAL

10. If there is ever a HondaSXS.com group event, large or small, planned or ad hoc, do NOT hesitate to attend - it was OUTSTANDING and we met lots of folks who I hope we ride with again in the months and years to come.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

1. Clean your radiator every day, especially after going through the sloppy crap we spent the day going through on FRI. If you don't, your oil won't stay cool and your sub-trans can heat up and make your dash look like a Christmas tree (and risk your clutches). Thanks @lee and @JACKAL

2. Carry plenty of water (and a few water bottles). Never would have thought about poking a hole in a lid to make a "spray" bottle. Thanks, @JACKAL

3. Do NOT trailer with the CEC Enclosure on an open trailer. One side was perfectly fine, while the other kept coming unsnapped and flapping around. From now on, I'll remove the entire enclosure if/when I have to trailer. Most likely, I'll be removing it and replacing it with some sort of hard doors and a mid-panel (for the winter).

4. When @Hondasxs gets his Talon stuck and has to winch out, it's probably not a good idea to try to follow him, especially if you're driving a Pioneer 1000-3. Ain't that right, @TripleB? 🤣

5. Keep your front safety nets installed. You (and your SO) will be happy when they don't have to keep ducking branches looking to take out a few teeth.

6. Muck boots: If they are tight on your feet due to having a EE foot, don't expect them to stretch even if the ad says they will. Buy a bigger size.

7. Don't wear a muck boot on one foot and a standard gym/athletic shoe on the other if you're going to forge across a 3+ foot deep river/creek.

8. Do not follow @Red500. He's an idiot. (LOL J/K - inside joke).

9. MT over AT for slow, uphill, rocky terrain. Don't change gears unless you really need to. Thanks, @JACKAL

10. If there is ever a HondaSXS.com group event, large or small, planned or ad hoc, do NOT hesitate to attend - it was OUTSTANDING and we met lots of folks who I hope we ride with again in the months and years to come.
I think that was the only dumb thing I did Friday lol. If I had seen them go through that rut, I probably would've taken the bypass. I forgot to tell you to wash your radiator out Friday when we were at the creek lol.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

gears unless you really need to. Thanks, @JACKAL
A few of us carry something like this 👇

they're great!! Pull up to a creek/lake use melted ice from cooler, water jug what ever.....really good to get behind the radiator too 👍

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
A few of us carry something like this 👇

they're great!! Pull up to a creek/lake use melted ice from cooler, water jug what ever.....really good to get behind the radiator too 👍

Yup. Coincidentally, I just ordered this exact one a couple days ago for this June's TO.

I learned my lesson the hard way last year. Went out for 9 @ 9 where I bashed through some deep mud. Washed my buggy the next morning at DTF, but clearly didn't get the radiator good enough. During Jackal's tour of Sundquist, I spent the last 2/3 of the ride overheating. Makes it not quite as fun when you're trying not to thrash on it too hard while its hot.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yup. Coincidentally, I just ordered this exact one a couple days ago for this June's TO.

I learned my lesson the hard way last year. Went out for 9 @ 9 where I bashed through some deep mud. Washed my buggy the next morning at DTF, but clearly didn't get the radiator good enough. During Jackal's tour of Sundquist, I spent the last 2/3 of the ride overheating. Makes it not quite as fun when you're trying not to thrash on it too hard while its hot.
I used to carry a little 1/2 gallon hand pump but for under $30 these 12volt sprayers work great! It stays inside a designated plastic ammo box, perfect!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!