P500 Options for hauling the P500 in a short bed??

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Wellllllll..... I bit the bullet and purchased a brand new 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

There were 3 of them I was looking at at this particular dealership. I bought the one that had the best deal - biggest discount. Almost 12,000 off of sticker price.

Problem is, it's a Crew Cab - with a 5'7" bed. This is a very short bed. Does anyone here haul a P500 in a bed this short??? If so, how do you support the tailgate? Is there anything I can buy that will allow me to haul my P500 in this truck??? I have a trailer, but it would be nice to be able to put it in the bed.

Thanks!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wellllllll..... I bit the bullet and purchased a brand new 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

There were 3 of them I was looking at at this particular dealership. I bought the one that had the best deal - biggest discount. Almost 12,000 off of sticker price.

Problem is, it's a Crew Cab - with a 5'7" bed. This is a very short bed. Does anyone here haul a P500 in a bed this short??? If so, how do you support the tailgate? Is there anything I can buy that will allow me to haul my P500 in this truck??? I have a trailer, but it would be nice to be able to put it in the bed.

Thanks!
Hey ehart, will the wheels even still be on the tailgate with a bed that short? If so, Cabellas has a pair of steel tailgate supports for about $60.00 that will do the trick. If not, a sheet of 5/4 plywood extending past the tailgate will work.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hey ehart, will the wheels even still be on the tailgate with a bed that short? If so, Cabellas has a pair of steel tailgate supports for about $60.00 that will do the trick. If not, a sheet of 5/4 plywood extending past the tailgate will work.

I haven't even tried putting it in there yet since the bed seems so short... I'm hoping someone here has had success with the plywood trick and will chime in. I have seen the tailgate supports and that will probably be something I need to get, even if I use the plywood.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I haven't even tried putting it in there yet since the bed seems so short... I'm hoping someone here has had success with the plywood trick and will chime in. I have seen the tailgate supports and that will probably be something I need to get, even if I use the plywood.
Ok, I hope someone comes along with help on that. I recommend backing it in as well. The tires hit the bed rail first and won't damage it. I tore mine up pretty bad before I figured that one out. Good luck.

F

fish

May 20, 2016
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
What about a frame built out of 2 X lumber that is the length of the box and tailgate totalled, covered with plywood, this would transfer the weight throughout the length of the box and also leave room for storage underneath and can be removed when not needed. Just thinking out load.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
P500
Is the same
length .
pull in forward
as it is backed in

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks!
Hey ehart814, congrats on the new wheels!! I have a 2014 Ram 1500 and love it. Mine is a Quad Cab which gives me roughly 8" more bed length and my P5 fits well but I bought the tailgate supports Monte spoke of. I have only had it in the bed once just to see how it worked out in case I "needed to haul it that way. I have a tonneau and typically a few things in my bed so I think it's just easier to trailer it,that's me. Having said that, I have a buddy that has the Crew and he uses 3/4" plywood and the tailgate supports. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't had any issues. He doesn't usually haul it all that fast or far. Hope this helps & enjoy the truck.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What about a frame built out of 2 X lumber that is the length of the box and tailgate totalled, covered with plywood, this would transfer the weight throughout the length of the box and also leave room for storage underneath and can be removed when not needed. Just thinking out load.
You wouldn't have the extra added height if you simply used a sheet of 5/4" plywood which I assure you is stout enough alone. And the purpose of backing in has nothing to do with length, but what contacts the bed rail first. Backed in its rubber, pulled in its all manor of steel.

Reactions: ehart814
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
ehart::::::
check this out
called IronMan
Ironman equipment racks

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
ehart::::::
check this out
called IronManView attachment 19020

I was just looking at that. I could only find one review of it online, and it was not a positive review. Looks like it would be perfect - kind of expensive. I'm leaning towards the plywood at this point. If I know for certain the plywood is strong enough, I would buy a piece and paint it with bedliner or something to preserve it.... I had thought about using plywood before, but I questioned how safe it would be.

I appreciate all the responses.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I was just looking at that. I could only find one review of it online, and it was not a positive review. Looks like it would be perfect - kind of expensive. I'm leaning towards the plywood at this point. If I know for certain the plywood is strong enough, I would buy a piece and paint it with bedliner or something to preserve it.... I had thought about using plywood before, but I questioned how safe it would be.

Congrats on your New Truck
as well

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I would go
quad carrier...
I'm the only member
who's owned & used
one....
Just sayin....
keep bed space....
...IMO....

V

Vic

Jul 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks!

I have a carrier similar to the Ironman one. It works well on the Ford F150 with the 5.5 box. Drive on and back out. Ramps are stored under rear tires. No complaints.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

That looks like a very suitable alternative. Be careful on snow and ice, that weight rear of the axle will lighten the front. As with all things though, care and caution and that should do you well. I assure you that 5/4 (not 3/4) treated plywood will work @ $50.00 and last for years, and with it, you wouldn't even need the tailgate brackets due to distribution.

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Had a video of um..
been lookin can't find it
...just don't thing wood
is as safe...hope ya check
it out

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Damn rocmar, wish you would have chimed in with that thing on earlier posts.
I searched all over the web looking for something like that.
With a little modification, I think that might work for me.
It looks simple & basic...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!