P500 Options for hauling the P500 in a short bed??

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Coming out is no big deal but going in you'll want to strap the ramps to the bumper. We have 10ft "Harley" ramps that fold and worked excellent but overkill is important in ramps. We broke one loading one time and it could've gone bad. I jumped on the throttle of the 1000 and came in very hot did some damage to the pioneer and the truck.

Sent from iPhone
Good tip there.

I always tie the ramps to the truck somehow. And I have seen good aluminum ATV ramps bend from the weight of a UTV. I'm always super nervous driving anything into a pickup bed.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good tip there.

I always tie the ramps to the truck somehow. And I have seen good aluminum ATV ramps bend from the weight of a UTV. I'm always super nervous driving anything into a pickup bed.
Yeah, I here ya. Try it with a 2500 HD where the tailgates three feet off the ground. When it's available, I back my rear wheels into a ditch or other depression which can lower the tailgate significantly.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yeah, I here ya. Try it with a 2500 HD where the tailgates three feet off the ground. When it's available, I back my rear wheels into a ditch or other depression which can lower the tailgate significantly.
I do the same thing. Just did that last week. I sold my TRX700XX. Had the guy back up to a bank. I still used my ramps because the bank isn't very steep, but it makes it so much easier to load that way -

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The foot wide 10 foot 1500 pound ramps do hold up. Our problem was we had probably 1000 pounds of wood in the back of the sxs. Dumb move I admit. The 700 was pretty easy but the 1000 in the bed requires a set of scared nuts the first time in. But I found it easier because it self loads being so wide. 1a19741006631833227e428c44b3d76f
But it's still a lot of rig in back and got some great looks:)

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: WillB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I do the same thing. Just did that last week. I sold my TRX700XX. Had the guy back up to a bank. I still used my ramps because the bank isn't very steep, but it makes it so much easier to load that way -
You betcha, still use the ramps, but it feels soooo much safer getting that tailgate closer to the ground.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
With a 500 do you guys have to go over the humps at all? Is it possible to do wheel spacers?

Sent from iPhone

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The foot wide 10 foot 1500 pound ramps do hold up. Our problem was we had probably 1000 pounds of wood in the back of the sxs. Dumb move I admit. The 700 was pretty easy but the 1000 in the bed requires a set of scared nuts the first time in. But I found it easier because it self loads being so wide. View attachment 19208
But it's still a lot of rig in back and got some great looks:)

Sent from iPhone
That's funny, I did similar CP. I was building a remote cabin a couple years ago, accessible only by UTV, so I welded up an H rack for the back of my Polaris (sorry, not promoting Polaris with this) that served as a lumber rack, I was using rough sawn (so full dimensional lumber) cedar and would load about a dozen 2x8's on it at a time. I drove up my ramps and it flattened the built in arch. I made it luckily. Later, I laid the ramps across a ditch and drove over them with the back wheels of my JD tractor and pushed an arch back into them. Of course they're not likely as strong as they use to be. :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
With a 500 do you guys have to go over the humps at all? Is it possible to do wheel spacers?

Sent from iPhone
I want to say the gap between the wheel wells on my truck is 51". I went 1" wider front and rear when I replaced the OEM tires and run just 8 PSI now so I'm at 51.5" but they squish through the wells just fine. Climbing over the wells would be a concern. One would have to flutter that gas with one foot poised on the break since after getting to the top you wouldn't want a sudden lunge forward. Particularly for those that pull theirs in with a winch hook protruding several inches forward the tires coming at that back cab glass!!

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's funny, I did similar CP. I was building a remote cabin a couple years ago, accessible only by UTV, so I welded up an H rack for the back of my Polaris (sorry, not promoting Polaris with this) that served as a lumber rack, I was using rough sawn (so full dimensional lumber) cedar and would load about a dozen 2x8's on it at a time. I drove up my ramps and it flattened the built in arch. I made it luckily. Later, I laid the ramps across a ditch and drove over them with the back wheels of my JD tractor and pushed an arch back into them. Of course they're not likely as strong as they use to be. :)
Ok well I'll be honest....I was f***ing scared!! I had the ramps strapped but left rear instantly fell when it broke it was unbelievably instant the front was barely on the gate luckily I was in 4low I punched it and jumped into the box it actually broke the other strap and shot out that ramp I now know why they call the front a bang board! I landed against that with the left front on my box side rail and wood everywhere. Everyone saw it. People still bring it up I wish I had video because I guess it looked cool but that's the single largest piss moment for me in a sxs!

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I want to say the gap between the wheel wells on my truck is 51". I went 1" wider front and rear when I replaced the OEM tires and run just 8 PSI now so I'm at 51.5" but they squish through the wells just fine. Climbing over the wells would be a concern. One would have to flutter that gas with one foot poised on the break since after getting to the top you wouldn't want a sudden lunge forward. Particularly for those that pull theirs in with a winch hook protruding several inches forward the tires coming at that back cab glass!!
Ok. I'm just wondering because the 700 was sketchy over the humps it was just wide enough it had to go over one but would slide all over trying both. I'd rather go over both or none at all!!

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey could I ask you if you could possibly do a measurement on the 500? I'm hoping a 500 will sit on my trailer sideways. The bed is only 6 ft across however it's got side rails that sit about 8 in further out and about the same from the deck. So the tires could sit outside of that 6ft and even past the rails but I'm still not sure it'll go. The sportsman is about 3 in from the ends. Could you possibly measure up 8in up on the tires front to back tires?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok. I'm just wondering because the 700 was sketchy over the humps it was just wide enough it had to go over one but would slide all over trying both. I'd rather go over both or none at all!!

Sent from iPhone
I know a guy that put that 3M 60 grit adhesive strips that's used for stair treads on his wheel wells, problem solved, no more slipping around.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I suppose so! That's a good idea I feel dumb now because I'm an automotive painter!

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey could I ask you if you could possibly do a measurement on the 500? I'm hoping a 500 will sit on my trailer sideways. The bed is only 6 ft across however it's got side rails that sit about 8 in further out and about the same from the deck. So the tires could sit outside of that 6ft and even past the rails but I'm still not sure it'll go. The sportsman is about 3 in from the ends. Could you possibly measure up 8in up on the tires front to back tires?
Sure thing. I won't be back to my P5 until this evening, but I'll get that for you if no one else provides it sooner. I know Alan trailers his that way, and he has pics of it in a thread here. Don't know that it will help you though.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome so you know what I mean:) ya no problem at all I appreciate it. That's not something you can just look up. Thank you monte

Sent from iPhone

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
Hey CP....not sure if Monte got back to you but I just took a measurement on my P5 & came up with nearly 99"(8' 3"). Now the point from ground, about 8" up the tire saves almost 3" total so roughly 8'. Hope that helps and I hope I understood what you wanted in your post. BTW I'm running 26's.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey CP....not sure if Monte got back to you but I just took a measurement on my P5 & came up with nearly 99"(8' 3"). Now the point from ground, about 8" up the tire saves almost 3" total so roughly 8'. Hope that helps and I hope I understood what you wanted in your post. BTW I'm running 26's.
Thanks a lot webby, I'm still tied up in Santa Fe and won't be back by my P5 until Sunday afternoon. Appreciate the help.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!