P1000 Overheating question

Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i rode my new p1k out at the outer banks this weekend and have about 60 miles on it now. While I was out there it overheated on me, and I've read about people having air trapped in e coolant lines causing that. I'm going to check that, but what concerns and has me wondering is that the only thing I've done to it before this ride was put the vent hose extensions on and put a heat insulation material under the seat and up the back side of the seat. Wondering if the heat shield material not letting that heat come up through the seat could be keeping it trapped under there and make it run hotter than it normally would. I as running 25-30mph, so I wouldn't think so but thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed theirs run hotter since putting that stuff under the seat.

Thanks

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can't see how what you fixed would have any bearing on overheating.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No. Shouldn't affect it. 60 miles seems like a bit far to just now have a burp issue..... Unless you have been fairly easy on it in until this weekend.

Been in any mud? Check back side of radiator to ensure not clogged.

Do u have a winch? Winch it up and shake it around. Check coolent. Or find a steep hill to get the front end up high. Check coolant.

There also have been a few reports of fans not working. These were just wire issues. Usually just unplugged somewhere.

Also 2 reports I know of thermostat was defective. Or so said their dealer.

Lastly. Where are you riding. Private or public area? Are you able to ride on the beach? If so, how far. We had a topic looking for info on this somewhere.

Can I come ride with you? Lol

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No. Shouldn't affect it. 60 miles seems like a bit far to just now have a burp issue..... Unless you have been fairly easy on it in until this weekend.

Been in any mud? Check back side of radiator to ensure not clogged.

Do u have a winch? Winch it up and shake it around. Check coolent. Or find a steep hill to get the front end up high. Check coolant.

There also have been a few reports of fans not working. These were just wire issues. Usually just unplugged somewhere.

Also 2 reports I know of thermostat was defective. Or so said their dealer.

Lastly. Where are you riding. Private or public area? Are you able to ride on the beach? If so, how far. We had a topic looking for info on this somewhere.

Can I come ride with you? Lol

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I've been extremely easy on it til this weekend. Only rode 8 miles prior to this weekend in fact. Did get in some mud and actually stuck in that first 8 miles, but that was because I went through a place that didn't look like mud because it had vegetation growing on top of it and I thought it was solid ground. I cleaned it very well afterwards though.

I could hear the fan running so don't think it's that. I'll run it up on ramps and check the coolant. Do I need to run it up t temp with the cap off or anything?

Yes we rode on the beach. You can take the Davis island ferry service over to the island that cape lookout lighthouse is on and ride all over it. About 25 miles from one end to the other. You can camp out there and rent cabins as well which only have bunk beds unfortunately. There's also Portsmouth island just north of that has ferry service from Atlantic, NC and it has cabins you can rent as well, some of which have electricity and AC. There's an old abandoned settler village there to explore.

Reactions: elkguide

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!