P1000 P-1000 Spare Tire And Gas Can Rack

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's my take on a spare tire / gas can rack. It all hinges down for opening the tailgate or lifting the bed. No tools required to remove the upper portion of the rack.

Image0 4
Image1 2
Image2 1
Image3 1

Image4

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What a great build. I'm always impressed by the ingenuity and skills possessed by the members of this forum. Great design, function and finished project. Keep us up to date on what else you come up with.
Thank you, there was quite a bit of head scratching from time to time for sure. Hopefully by sharing pics others may get some ideas for their machines. Thanks again for the compliment, much appreciated.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you, there was quite a bit of head scratching from time to time for sure. Hopefully by sharing pics others may get some ideas for their machines. Thanks again for the compliment, much appreciated.
looks great I like it

Reactions: Lady01
JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the top red T-handle thing is threaded in, and the lower hex head has a hairpin clip through the far end? Can we get a close-up pic of the other side?

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sure, here ya go. The red TEE handle is big enough to really cinch down the bracket and keep things from rattling, don't really have any miles with it yet so time will tell i guess.
Image0 4
Image1 2

N

Nvrgiveup

Awesome job! I really like it. I've been debating about getting a swing-away version to mount on the roll cage of my 1K3 but am thinking of just trying to secure it in the bed for now, since there's a 16-week lead time to have one manufactured.
Have any of y'all toted your spare in the bed of the machine? How did you secure it?

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bed space gets taken up pretty fast, I would definitely try to come up with something other than laying a spare in the bed.

Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Awesome job! I really like it. I've been debating about getting a swing-away version to mount on the roll cage of my 1K3 but am thinking of just trying to secure it in the bed for now, since there's a 16-week lead time to have one manufactured.
Have any of y'all toted your spare in the bed of the machine? How did you secure it?
have my spare in bed now to try it. been wanting to come up with something diff. like the mount on this thread with gas cans to free up bed space. here is what ive been doing. ratchet strap over top, with my boxes keeping it from moving side to side. one box has fire starting and a few misc. other one has tools, jack, recovery straps, etc. also have 3rd box for dry/dust free storage, and cooler of course!

Resized 20220424 134222 Resized 20220424 134245

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have another question…
The hex head, is that a smooth pin all the way through, or does it screw in to the first, second, or both layers of steel on the right side? I’m guessing it screws in to the second layer of steel (lower strut) only.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lower pin is the hinge pin and is smooth through and through. Now you got my wheels turning, a guy could weld a nut to the outside in place of the washer and clip and use that pin as a hinge and tightening point. If you just had enough threads to fill the nut that would be enough.

Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well if you’re going to start rebuilding it, just go all out and build the support with a parallelogram mechanism so the rack stays level when you raise and lower it.
Yeah, NOW your wheels are turning…
and might as well build a couple and i'll do some product testing on one for ya!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!