P1000 P1k and talon ecu swap

Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have read it on this site that someone swapped a talon ecu into a pioneer I've also talked to this person about it on that thread but didnt get all the questions I had answered. I would love to boost the power in the pioneer. Thanks

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can, but you need the PCV with Autotune at a minimum. It WILL NOT run without the PCV. 4WD indicator doesn’t work correctly unless you have LE.

You only get the reduced torque management the Talon has, and the slight bump in low end grunt you get from the PCV. It makes a big difference in drivability with bigger tires in rocks but you won’t see big numbers on a dyno.

I would put the stock ECU in the glove box in a couple zip locks with rice/desiccant. If the PCV craps out you’re dead on the trail with the Talon ECU, you can swap them and keep going.

Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would I be better off with just the pcv because I have a 2016 base ... no i4wd

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It removes some of the torque management that is present in the pioneer ECU.

I haven’t done it yet, but I know several who have already and it’s an improvement in low end grunt that will let you climb a ledge better in low range.

Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hear alot of people talk about this torque management but I'm not sure what exactly it is or does ...

Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With all the information you've helped me with. I believe I have come to the decision I'm going to get the power comander and AT cam and springs... unless you were talking about the talon ecu removing some torque management then I'll get the talon ecu I'm not exactly sure which one you were referring to lol

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Or..
Someone needs to send their Pioneer ecu off to be programmed and report back.
After you invest in a PC with Autotune you will come out cheaper.

This weekend we were testing the power commander with talon ecu. At some point it messed up and we had to remove it. Out on the trail we really dont know what messed up but it quit working and installing the Pioneer ecu got us mo ing again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or..

This weekend we were testing the power commander with talon ecu. At some point it messed up and we had to remove it. Out on the trail we really dont know what messed up but it quit working and installing the Pioneer ecu got us mo ing again.

I wouldnt mind test the reflash but the issue is I've messaged a few different people or sellers or whatever they are about warranty on the pioneer if the dealer refreshes back to stock if I would just be screwed out of a tune but none has messaged me back and that's been over a month ago so I'm not gonna trust someone that wont answer a simple question

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With all the information you've helped me with. I believe I have come to the decision I'm going to get the power comander and AT cam and springs... unless you were talking about the talon ecu removing some torque management then I'll get the talon ecu I'm not exactly sure which one you were referring to lol

Talon ECU REQUIRES the PCV W/Autotune

You can do the AT cam but it takes a mod to the chain and gear as well. It’s not just swapping the cam. Another member did it and it added 26% fuel with an aftermarket exhaust, it looses bottom end with the AT cam, you’ll need an IGR and some electronic widgets that make the speed sensors read what the ECU expects and to modify the shift solenoid for it to shift right.

I would just do the Talon ECU and Autotune, carry the stock ECU with you. It’s a big enough increase in useable/available power that it’s worth it. The AT cam opens a can of worms that you have to fix.

Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talon ECU REQUIRES the PCV W/Autotune

You can do the AT cam but it takes a mod to the chain and gear as well. It’s not just swapping the cam. Another member did it and it added 26% fuel with an aftermarket exhaust, it looses bottom end with the AT cam, you’ll need an IGR and some electronic widgets that make the speed sensors read what the ECU expects and to modify the shift solenoid for it to shift right.

I would just do the Talon ECU and Autotune, carry the stock ECU with you. It’s a big enough increase in useable/available power that it’s worth it. The AT cam opens a can of worms that you have to fix.

The cam seemed like an easier thing but I'll take your word for it. And the ecu isnt expensive either ill just try to get all that probably around January. I'm also curious if the talon cam would be easier and what it would do for the p1k I haven't even googled that yet. Dude thanks again for your help and to everyone else on this site who have the money and balls to hack into these machines to test this stuff. I get nervous with buying expensive parts just to test if it would work lol but thanks again brother I appreciate the help.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cam seemed like an easier thing but I'll take your word for it. And the ecu isnt expensive either ill just try to get all that probably around January. I'm also curious if the talon cam would be easier and what it would do for the p1k I haven't even googled that yet. Dude thanks again for your help and to everyone else on this site who have the money and balls to hack into these machines to test this stuff. I get nervous with buying expensive parts just to test if it would work lol but thanks again brother I appreciate the help.

Talon cam is more aggressive than the AT cam, and Ive been told you'd need the Talon injectors on top of all the stuff for the AT cam swap,(edit: to be able to make the Talon cam swap work correctly.)

Last edited:
Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talon cam is more aggressive than the AT cam and Ive been told you'd need the Talon injectors on top of all the stuff for the AT cam swap.

Cam gears are ok with that swap or no?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cam gears are ok with that swap or no?

Yes you have to swap the gear and chain to swap cam. Its an undertaking, and because of the loss of the low end power you have to do the IGR which then makes you mod the shift solenoid and add $200 in electronics to get the trans to shift right.

Theres machining of the case for the IGR and the Cam gear and chain to fit as well.

Louisiana_93

Louisiana_93

Jul 28, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes you have to swap the gear and chain to swap cam. Its an undertaking, and because of the loss of the low end power you have to do the IGR which then makes you mod the shift solenoid and add $200 in electronics to get the trans to shift right.

Theres machining of the case for the IGR and the Cam gear and chain to fit as well.
I'll just leave the cam alone

J

JTW

So I’m not sold on the talon ECU just yet... still need to do some tweaking and figure a few things out. The power commander and auto tune I liked by themselves. But I would suggest folks holding off on the ecu until we get a few things figured out.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I would give a reflash a try.
Current set up
AT throttle body adapter (boring the stock restrictor is better), AT cam, cat removed from stock muffler Talon ECU, and PVC with auto tune.

I have a Talon throttle body and injectors to try when ever I get some time to install them.
With the current setup it does run better than stock but still don't run as good as I think it could for all the money I spent.
From a dead stop just mashing the gas it will Squall the tires and lay about six inch long black marks with 29 inch MotoClaws in it stock form it would have never consider doing that.

To install the AT cam you need to run the stock cam gear as the AT cam gear and chain is wider so it don't have timing marks, so if you don't understand mechanics don't try it.
Other than that the cam install is straight forward and easy to do, also you should put the AT exhaust valve springs in.

I am not trying to come here and say look what I got it is really fast because it is not but it does run better and it is fun to ride, the power right of the line with the Talon ECU feels good then there is this flat line until about 3,500 rpm's then she opens up.

The worst complaint I have with the Talon ECU is it shifts at 5,000 RPM's, I don't have IGR and don't need it, or any speed sensor pulse modifiers.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
So I’m not sold on the talon ECU just yet... still need to do some tweaking and figure a few things out. The power commander and auto tune I liked by themselves. But I would suggest folks holding off on the ecu until we get a few things figured out.

What did I tell you? LOL to wait on a reflash maybe?

Reactions: pct and Plumber32
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Or..

I sent my stock ECU off to Zmorris I texted him Friday he said he could communicate with it but was to busy to work on it I am hoping for some good things from that.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!